BASE1036

First rig out of the loft.....

Show the picture!
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Hey Slurp, when you talked about the complexity you just said that it was obviously more complex than an single parachute system and then went on to cypress, so here are some additional complexity things you might not have considerred.

collapsible pilot chute,
retractible pilot chute,
and collapsable and splitable sliders.

Base gear is designed so be as non-complex as possible. The most complex thing on my base rig is the three rings, and it's only there because I trust that it won't fail (I check it before every jump) and it is a lot faster than hook knifing your risers in an emergency.

I hope that at some point in the future BASE gear, is reffered to as low altitude gear, and is acceptable at all dropzones to people with the proper education.

This thread has gone pretty far off topic, so since you addressed me directly, I'll put up a response and then I am leaving well enough alone. I'm not trying to be right or wrong, just an interesting conversation and my point of view on it :)
Yeah, those are some considerations, but keep in mind that they are options. You dont have to use those specific items to make a skydive. I have a collapsible slider, but its not a requirement to collapse it, it just reduces drag and wear if I do... Non-collapsible Pilot Chutes have been used in skydiving sucessfully for many years. However, you wont find those items on a reserve canopy. All the parts you mentioned are found on a main canopy, one that is not required to be TSO'd. You could jump a BASE canopy for a main if thats what you really want to do.

I wouldnt say that BASE gear is designed to be as non complex as possible, but I agree it is designed no more complex than necessary. Typically, I would think if you ask a skydiving gear manufacturer, you will get the same response.

But as the guy above said, comparing apples to pears. You wouldn't use brakes from a geo metro on an F1 car and vice versa. I guess techincally you are trying to do the same thing, slow down, but different parts for different applications to maximize safety.

As far as "low altitude gear" I doubt it will legally happen (But thats not how BASE jumpers roll, unfortunately, most pilots do). Check out AC 105-2c which pretty much outlines that you need a single harness, dual parachute system to make an intentional parachute jump from an aircraft.

If you guys are ever in the area, I wouldn't mind discussing other points of view (I've still got alot to learn), and throwing back some beers B|

REALLY SOMEHOW CONSISTENTLY

hArDcORe 4 lYFe, yO! blablabla generic intelligence joke

WTF...English>you

This is what happens when you spend too much time in the internest...

On a side note. I take it most of you don't have a rigger's ticket? Isn't it a valuable asset?

On a side note. I take it most of you don't have a rigger's ticket? Isn't it a valuable asset?

what are yout trying to say? those of us without a FAA ticket cant sew or rig for shit?

Ticket schmicket. I don't even know what the FAA (floozy aviation agency) is.

Learned how to pack a reserve (and pack your own) is what I meant. But nevermind...

FAA (floozy aviation agency)

:):PB|:D

Man, You have no idea how much I agree witht that. trust me, I would know.