crzjp20

pilot chute

ok so stupid question, but what happens if you forget to cock the pilot chute?

im a newbie and i was just curious.....
--------------------------------------------------
Fear is not a confession of weakness, it is an oportunity for courage.

Have you seen a collapsible pilot chute after a jump, ie when it's collapsed? Pick one up and drag it through the air to see how it behaves - it won't inflate. Look at where the apex of the pilot chute is (where the hackey is attached) and you'll see why. Deploying a collapsed pilot chute will, at best, give you a pilot chute in tow.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

heve you ever tried cocking the PC after you've closed your container? Give it a shot, it'll probably give you a good idea of what would happen in freefall.

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

(It doesn't inflate, and will cost you a reserve repack}
If your lucky

I don't understand the "if you're lucky" part... how could it get worse then a pilot chute in tow?

as I have heard from instructors before, it may or may not generate enough force to pull the pin... even if it does pull it out, its gonna take longer.

MB 3528, RB 1182

yep, either caused by waiting the 8 or longer seconds for it to open, or firing your reserve into the PC in tow... either way, I think I'll stick to cocking mine... even if it is a PUD, I'd still rather not find out what happens

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

I don't understand the "if you're lucky" part... how could it get worse then a pilot chute in tow?

I had a friend make a skydive with an uncocked PC. He ended up firing the reserve, then having the main extract once the tension was reduced (by the reserve extraction). His main and reserve entangled, and he spun into a runway. He's lucky all he got was a pelvis fractured in 11 places and six months on a wheelchair.

I'd say that's worse..what do you think?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

so does it cause the mian to have a bag lock?

No, a bag lock is when the bag is out but something is preventing it from opening. An uncocked pc probably couldn't pull the pin, so you'd get a pilot chute in tow.
Have there ever been any tests on the pull force of a collapsed pc and its eventual inflation? I think I'll conduct a few of my own the next time we're driving to the dropzone.;)

oh ok. Just curous i am learning and want to know what would happen i i screwed up..... i think i will make sure i dont screw that one up!! :)

Once upon a time I had this PC that worked only when it felt like it. It resulted in 3 PC's in tow. I know I know. I should have got rid of it after the first pc in tow but, well....ya know.
Any way, the first time I had a PC in tow I went straight for the reserve handle and had the same results as Toms friend minus the pelvis and wheel chair bit. The other two times I had PC's in tow I first cut away before firing the reserve and in each of the those events, the main had come out just as Tom had mentioned. If I had not first cutaway, I'm sure I would have ended up like Toms friend. Just food for thought

i was told to cock it but i wasnt told why. Didnt even think to asky why. was just looking at some stuff earler today and thought about it.thast why i asked. Not casue my dz didnt tell me to di it.

i was told to cock it but i wasnt told why. Didnt even think to asky why. was just looking at some stuff earler today and thought about it.thast why i asked. Not casue my dz didnt tell me to di it.

That's good. Asking about things, I mean. It is, imo, only natural to be curious about gear that you trust to save your life.
That said, students are often given simplified explanations and I've been warned once or twice for going too deep into details when teaching- the rule being that they need to know the essentials and not be overloaded with technicalities- which works for students, but I think many people carry this blind faith in their equipment into their later skydiving careers.

I know just what you mean. When I first started, I was told to do this and to do that but no one ever explained why. My advice to you is to start hanging around the rigging loft a gain some knowledge about the gear you use. You'll feel much better about this sport and how safe you can make it.

I know just what you mean. When I first started, I was told to do this and to do that but no one ever explained why. My advice to you is to start hanging around the rigging loft a gain some knowledge about the gear you use. You'll feel much better about this sport and how safe you can make it.

yea, thinking about it now, i agree with that....it definitely took a lot of questions to learn about things like that

.-.