NickDG

The List is Up . . .

I've had to make some changes . . .

I took out the Reaper photo which carried the current number of fatalities because I was getting too much grief from some people's relatives. I try to explain how "death is an educational tool" in BASE, but they don't understand that.

I also removed the photos from the second section of the List, the part that deals with those BASE jumpers who died outside the sport. I'm having bandwidth issues with AOL (I'm probably their last paying customer, but still they are jerking me around) so maybe that will help. I am, however, considering removing that section all together.

Right now the site will load slowly, at first, but once the photos are cached on your hard drive it will be faster the next time. I apologize as I know it's tough on the dial up folks.

I've received many offers to help with hosting the site (and I really appreciate that) and I'll look into it when I have a chance. But, if you want to help right now – just stop dying!

Also, use this URL http://hometown.aol.com/base194/myhomepage/base_fatality_list as the pointer http://www.basefatalities.info/ isn't working right now.

It's been a tough week and I'm going to go have a drink now . . .

NickD :|
BASE 194

Thanks Nick.

Chin up.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

Have 1 for me too.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

Also, use this URL http://hometown.aol.com/...e/base_fatality_list as the pointer http://www.basefatalities.info/ isn't working right now.

Back up now.

As the list gets longer, the more of a load it's going to be on your server (not to mention our minds). I think the time to rationalise the way the list works is getting near. Let me know if you need any help.

Thanks Nick.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

I've received many offers to help with hosting the site (and I really appreciate that) and I'll look into it when I have a chance. But, if you want to help right now – just stop dying!

You should nuggetize yourself for that one. Thanks for what you do.

. I am, however, considering removing that section all together.

please don't remove this section. i like to read it now and again as i knew some of the listed.:( and i will want to be listed in there after i die a painless death just after my 9Xth birthday just after having great sex. ;)

nic

I am, however, considering removing that section all together.

If you do, please keep the ones that BASE jumpers can still learn from. I'm thinking about Alf Humphries, Frank Gambalie, Jim Dias, Steve Morell, Larry March, Earl Redfern, Jurgen Ornburger, and Neil Quemenit.

:(

I hope you can keep the "Died outside of the sport" section of the list. I was looking at it yesterday, and thinking that it was nice to know that someday I could be on the right half of the list next to an, "I told you so," for those who are afraid to live their dreams, and criticize mine.
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

I hope you can keep the "Died outside of the sport" section of the list.

Me too. Lack of bandwidth would be the wrong reason to remove it. Or are there other reasons?
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

I hope you can keep the "Died outside of the sport" section of the list.

Me too. Lack of bandwidth would be the wrong reason to remove it. Or are there other reasons?

I 3rd this motion to keep that section.

Maybe we could spearhead a paypal fundraiser to help things out?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Guest 1010
I'd like to see the "Died outside of the sport" list kept as well. Thanks for all that you do Nick, drink up, chin up.

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

I don't really have the time to help out, but I do have a heap of bandwidth and storage sitting unused if that helps...

head up dude...;)

i like to thank you for the work that you put into "The List" over the years.....
even when it hurts to see that its still growing....
but i think it had prevent some incidents in the past.
when a newbie comes and want to learn BASE jumping ,the first thing that i tell him is to study the list.
when he s coming backand still wants to go for it, he has an idea what he is willing to to....

and it has a great memorial value in my opinon...

keep it up, it helps the comunity to keep in mind that its a wonderfull sport and not a game..."memento mori"

p.s.
i liked the reaperphoto, it was pretty scary and it should be....:)

Regarding the effort required updating the list and keeping the section that displays people who died outside the sport...

I have a simple 5 page idea that would make upkeep and load times faster. Have an initial home page that explains what the site is, media disclaimer, who maintains it, and links to 3 pages: 104 Fallen (bounces), Strange Deaths (suicides, stunts), and Good Deaths (heart attack during sex w/ 21 year old model).

Plus having each page initially load with the number and name and then by clicking that entry it could expland with the explanation, warm rememberances, and their photo could make load time faster and band width usage lower.

Lastly, if we really wanted to make Nick's life easier we could get this thing fed from a database so updates would be easy with the added bonus of generating descriptive and inferential statistics on command. Example: range of age, mode of cause, average height of object.

I like that people offering Nick some bucks to help. I'd gladly produce the design and host or chip in to get Nick his own domain.
Rigger, Skydiver, BASE Jumper, Retired TM

If bandwidth is the issue for "died outside of the sport," then consider making it a clicky so the person viewing can decide whether they are interested in looking at that section. that way, it's not part of the standard download but it's still there to view upon the user's decision.

If Nick is up for this idea, I would be more than willing to code it for him. I have done many applications very similar to this. I also agree with you, there should be an option to donate as well. Nick puts time, and money into keeping this up. We should help out some. Hosting shouldn't be problem either. Any interest in this Nick, just PM me. It's not a very difficult, or complicated script/idea.

I did think about what you said, and that if we want to help out, just stop dying. I like that statement, but I am still going to offerer my assistance to this. The greatest benefit I see, as Tom pointed out, is that you could query the database for specfici statistics (and it would ultimately be more organized, and easier to add information). As I said, if you are interested, just PM me.

Nathan
Nathan

Nick I am sure most BASE jumpers will donate something via a paypal donation button...

Just want to throw in my 2c. If the list does go the way of a datbase driven web app, I for one would still like to still see all the pictures, names and stories on one page. It seems like being able to scroll through the entire list and read it without a bunch of clicking is part of the effect it has on me.

A list of clickable names wouldn't be the same.

I mean a separate section for died outside the sport with all the photos and stories on one page.

As times change, and over the years. I've thought hard about the value of the List.

And it seems to stay constant in the end.

It's our cemetery.

And a place you can go by yourself and be quiet, and walk around for a bit.

NickD :)BASE 194

I don't really have the time to help out, but I do have a heap of bandwidth and storage sitting unused if that helps...

Myself also....

I'd be happy to lend a hand with any programming required... front (HTML/XHTML, CSS, JS) or back-end (PHP, ASP, ASP.Net, Cold Fusion, SQL). Shoot me a PM if you require anything that way inclined.