JustRelax

Tucking in booties

If I get a new RW suit with booties can I tuck the booties in and how can this be done.

My JM want me to learn to fly witout them first, but if I get an RW suit it seems better to get one with booties. So what's a good way to tuck them away?

Just like every other problem skydiving related, they can be solved with duct tape. If I am going for crw, or a sitfly attempt, but am wearing my rw suit, I just kinda fold them and wrap a piece of duct tape around my ankles... I don't know... doesn't look the most stylin, but it works

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

If I get a new RW suit with booties can I tuck the booties in and how can this be done.

Yes, just tuck them up and forget about it....No need to rubberband, tape, glue, staple, weld them up....

My JM want me to learn to fly witout them first

I understand his thinking...but don't agree. Did he make you jump nakid first so you could fly your body? Did he then let you jump in just socks and underware? Did you get to work your way up to a regular jumpsuit?

At 28 jumps you could wear booties.

Now thats just MY opinion...And while I am AN instructor, Im not YOUR instructor. and I have not seen you fly.

But for the average 28 jump wonder...Booties are fine.

But as always listen to YOUR instructor over some jackass on the internet.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

First off, I'm a three jump nobody so take this with a grain of salt...and with that said...When I use to dive train (military) my ankels were too thin for booties and water would get in and slow my finning down. My instructor issued me a velco strap that went around my ankle and tightened the bootie up.

This made a world of difference in that arena, and it seems as though it would work for this. I've seen them at dive shops, so I'm sure they could be found. Plus it wouldn't damage you jumpsuit as duct tape might.

Just my 2c!

I have seen video of booties sneaking out on AFF (don't know how they were secured..), and it royally screwed the student up (made them turn). I am pretty sure the student failed because of that, and I asked myself whether that student was owed another jump.

The velcro wrap trick (altimeter wrist straps may even work for some folks) has been used at our dz effectively, but I think most of our AFF jumpmasters don't put folks in bootie suits, just to eliminate the risk of them sneaking out.

For those off student status, it is generally no worry, as the student should be able to handle correcting a turn, although it can be a bit disconcerting.

j

Well, one in 1300 AFF's isn't exactly high risk now, is it? And the student passed. I don't charge for rejumps anyway, but if the students body position is so marginal that a bootie sneaking out would make them turn... maybe they need to repeat that level anyway.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Well, one in 1300 AFF's isn't exactly high risk now, is it? And the student passed. I don't charge for rejumps anyway, but if the students body position is so marginal that a bootie sneaking out would make them turn... maybe they need to repeat that level anyway.

t

Don't charge for re-jumps. Wow.. how many other dz's do that?? Not ones I have seen. Very cool for your students. :)
Well, depending on what level it happens on, I would agree with you.. on level 7, I would expect the student to be able to handle it, but maybe not on level 3.

And I think some booties probably cause more problems than others. The student I saw did start getting somewhat unstable from the bootie catching air, but then just got distracted by it, which was an integral part of the jump going to crap.

I'm with ya on the duct tape. If I just tuck mine up then they'll start flapping right after exit. I taped them up for a horny gorilla last weekend, and @ breakoff I realized how much I depend on them. It felt like I wasn't moving, and I've got a fast track.
I got nuthin

I got my suit from Gotcha covered and asked them about some velcro inside the legs to secure my booties. They went one better. The shipping company they use had did some cosmetic damage to my suit when they packed it, and Kris too it back to make repairs. At the same time, she sewed snaps on to the tips of the booties and sewed a couple of tabs with the other halves to the inside of the legs. A really nice, quality mod that she threw in for free. Talk about customer service!

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

she sewed snaps on to the tips of the booties and sewed a couple of tabs with the other halves to the inside of the legs.

Very cool to hear they've got good customer service. One thing I'd wonder about with that mod is if the snap is ever going to be a problem when you're kneeling in a jump plane. If the snap is on the front of the leg and you're kneeling with your shins to the floor will it dig into your leg? Not a safety issue or anything, but it'd suck when you're getting your shit together on jump run and have a peice of metal jabbing your shin.
I got nuthin

Trying to develop your Bootie Strategy? B|;)

Yeah, I'll generally take my bootie any way I can get it. ;P

I was jumping a suit with booties that didn't fit and wouldn't stay tucked in the leg for a while. I didn't think it would be much of an issue but all the sudden I realized I couldn't do flips worth anything. I started jumping street clothes and after a jump or two to get back in the groove I was fine. Unfortunaely I'm pretty crappy at RW in street clothes (partly due to my rather speedy fall rate). Finally ordered my own suit on Monday, so hopefully I'll soon have a suit that fits (didn't spring for booties on it, though).

WRT the rejumps, it's a personal thing rather than a DZ thing. If I make no money out of the dive, then they charge the student only slots and packjobs.
Some students just need a little more airtime than others, and 2 or three extra dives seems to solve most of their problems. Of course, I only have the choice to do this on single level AFF dives.

I also have very few repeats. Maybe one in every 25 AFF dives, so it doesn't apply to most students anyway.

I agree with your comment on the L3 vs the L7. I think I'll go along with the velcro strap system in future. If it's happened once, it could happen again.

Thanks for the feedback,

t
It's the year of the Pig.

If the snap is on the front of the leg and you're kneeling with your shins to the floor will it dig into your leg?

Not really, the tab is such that the rounded button part is what lays against my shin when kneeling like you mentioned. I am a very big guy and while you know the tab is there(it feels different for lack of a better word). it is never been uncomfortable.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."