ernokaikkonen

Strange RSL ring placement

A couple of pictures of an RSL setup that I hadn't seen before. Is this placement of the RSL ring common? Which manufacturers use it?

One set of risers that I saw it on was an aftermarket set of Parachutes Australia risers on a Javelin, the other set was of an unknown origin, on a Mirage.

I'm not sure whether to
A) route the 3-ring fabric loop through the RSL ring(doesn't feel right to mess with the 3-ring)
B) route it the way it is in the pictures(it's still "in the way" of the 3-ring release)
or
C) recommend to the jumpers that they chop the ring off since they don't use it anyway.

Any comments?

They need to replace the risers with those made by the rig maker. In this case by SunPath.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Those risers do look like they are the original Sunpath (Javelin Makers) made risers. DO NOT thread the type 2a loop through the ring and DO NOT cut the ring off. The best advice in this situation is to contact the manufacturer, so go to the Sunpath site http://www.sunpath.com/ and drop them an email.

Chris

I don't know the rules in Oz, but in the US, the risers are part of the H/C and must comply with the TSO. This case has a set of aftermarket risers that are clearly not compatible with the rig. Replacement with OEM parts is the thing to do.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

>Don't but the three ring loop through it.

It might be a good idea for Sunpath to include this small bit of information in their manual... On one of the rigs the 3-ring loop goes through the RSL-ring. I'll have the jumper re-route it before the next jump.

Thanks for all the replies.

but in the US, the risers are part of the H/C and must comply with the TSO.

I may be wrong...but the way I read the FAR's is that the risers are not part of the harness/reserve container/reserve system....Because the FAA doesn't care if you cut away or not...they just care the reserve deploys.

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

I don't know the rules in Oz, but in the US, the risers are part of the H/C and must comply with the TSO. This case has a set of aftermarket risers that are clearly not compatible with the rig. Replacement with OEM parts is the thing to do.

Main risers are not part of the H/C.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Those do look like Javelin Risers by the way. They can be replaced by any risers, even home made ones. Main Risers are not part of the harness/container. The only time the main risers come into affect are on live cutaway tests. They are not included in the actual TSO.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Main risers are not part of the H/C.
Sparky

Just to clarify:
With regards to TSOs and FAA rules, main risers aren't considered to be part of the system.

However, when buying and selling gear, main risers typically stay with the container rather than the main parachute.
-Josh
If you have time to panic, you have time to do something more productive. -Me*
*Ron has accused me of plagiarizing this quote. He attributes it to Douglas Adams.

Mine is like that, I have a reflex container

Just a(nother) point of clarification... The Reflex wasn't originally made with risers in that configuration. The Reflex RSL connection point hangs off the side of the confluence wrap.

I've never liked where that Jav ring was hung...more than once I've caught rigs with the loop rigged through that ring (incorrectly so).

Be careful folks...know your gear!

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

If this RSL ring setup isn't "an accident waiting to happen", I don't know what is. A large number of people ARE going to pass the 3-ring closing loop through the RSL ring, simply because they can.

Enough said.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

If this RSL ring setup isn't "an accident waiting to happen", I don't know what is. A large number of people ARE going to pass the 3-ring closing loop through the RSL ring, simply because they can.

What would actually be the danger in that situation? I'm trying to figure it out in my head and it seems the cutaway system and RSL would still work right, but I'm guessing I'm overlooking something?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

A greater danger is when someone hooks the rsl shackle around the ring AND through the 3-ring loop.
There are other configurations that would be 'undesirable' too.

Who makes these risers????
Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

What would actually be the danger in that situation? I'm trying to figure it out in my head and it seems the cutaway system and RSL would still work right, but I'm guessing I'm overlooking something?

BUMP?

I am still wondering about this and the thread got buried...
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I am not a rigger.

From what I can see, one scenario is that it would effectively shorten the 3-ring closing loop, which will alter how the 3-rings will sit while under tension. Since the changes are only on one side, this will load the risers differently during deployment, contributing to a possible spinning malfunction.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

QUESTIONS: To be asked whenever there is any doubt...

I'm just imagining all the people who decided they could hook up their gear all by themselves and did this or other things and have no clue because they are too proud to ask...

good post, good question

From what I can see, one scenario is that it would effectively shorten the 3-ring closing loop, which will alter how the 3-rings will sit while under tension. Since the changes are only on one side, this will load the risers differently during deployment, contributing to a possible spinning malfunction.

Try this experiment: With your risers assembled correctly, load the three-ring. Watch the middle ring while you change the amount of loop pulled through the grommet. How much does the middle ring move? Does this confirm or refute your hypothesis about a possible spinning malfunction, or is there insufficient information to tell?

Mark