dmcoco84

Swiss Valley

Which airport would you fly into and what would cost be like for 5 days. Not including plane tickets?

Coco

You can either fly into Geneva or Zürich, both about 3 hour train journey to the Valley, can't remember cost of accommodation, but it's nothing to worry about ...

Good place to stay is Hotel Horner, which is very popular with BASE jumpers, thinks it's about $30 a night

Heli insurance which is well recommended is around $45

Have fun

GVA or ZRH, you'll find much more flight options on ZRH from the US.

To GVA the only direct flights are Swiss Air Lines from JFK and Continental from EWR

But if you fly to Geneva I can meet you, offer you a beer and put you on the train. ;)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Heli insurance which is well recommended is around $45

Can you explain to me, why is this insurance recommended?

Never heard this befor.....

Thx

it is NOT insurance.

it is an annual patronage to a particular swiss helicopter rescue service. valid for 1 year, supposedly for all of Switzerland, some/all different services have agreements in place to collect each others patrons.

if you get suck, injured or killed they will send the chopper for you. as a patron you do not have to pay for the rescue.

the service in question is this one:
http://www.air-glaciers.ch/fr/default.asp

$1= 1.20 francs
Hotel horner....deffinately stay there. 32 francs Zurich is a good airport but fly into any of them, whichever is the cheapest. the train is about 3 hours and 70 francs.
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

Good place to stay is Hotel Horner,

...i will be there... in less than 60days.;)

nioce. be sure to post a pic for us suck here in the US
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Anyone going to be there from Sept. 14th-18th? I was planning to go to the Go Fast Games at the gorge but a problem came up 2 days ago that is not fixable so the games will no be held this year per Jimmy in an email I got earlier today. The Go Fast owner will be releasing a statement soon as to what the problem was.

I'm going to fly out the 13th and fly back the 19th so I can get a solid 5 days of jumping? Anyone going or any locals plan on being around? Was going to the gorge alone (but some friends from north of me were gonna be there) so I'll be going to SV alone. Would be great to have someone to jump with!!

Coco

Yeah weather should be fine,got 2 rigs? You'll get 5 a day in easily, i know some Brits who will be there late sept but they'll always be jumpers there, although like the weather, i can't guarantee it!

I have two rigs if I bring my dad's but I don't really like his rig. Fits big on me. It is still pretty warm or does it start to get a little cool by that time?

Coco

If you want to do 5 jumps a day it wont save you much time jumping with 2 rigs. You have to pack them both after 2 jumps and you only have to pack one after 4 jumps to do jump No 5. But after jump no 5 you will have to pack 2 rigs while your friends will already be drinking beer in the Horner... :)You will do fine with one Rig if you are smart and don't pull to low, there is almost every weekend one or two canopys in the trees do to low pulls.

And yes, it can be cold in September. And the weather can be really shitty as well. But on the other side, the weather in Switzerland can be shitty at any time of the year, like right now...

And here you will find a web cam and weather information:
http://www.wengen.com/index.html

And on this homepage http://www.base1007.ch/joomla/ on the upper right side you will find some general information regarding the valley and the jumps.

And another thing:
It is really important that you buy a air glacier membership before you do your first jump. You can do it when you go to see the landing area. The Air Glacier base is about 5 min bei foot from the landing area. The membership is about 25 USD. I can not understand why anybody would prefere not to buy the membership. It is realy worth the money.
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

Yeah please get the heli insurance, my friend didn't , had to be rescued and got hit with a £1600 bill (around $3000)

I've been trying to find the Horner web link but can't, so heres the no. +41338551673

Now I'm off to claim my commission...

I've been trying to find the Horner web link but can't, so heres the no. +41338551673

Here you go:
http://www.hornerpub.ch/
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

And what is the weather like in September? Nice?

Coco

September is when the weather begins to shift towards Fall/Winter. It can be hit or miss, but the Swiss Valley is always that way. I spent 5 days in the Valley in Sept of 2002 and it was a downpour the entire time. I didn't make a single jump! :S But the day after I left, the weather cleared and everyone was jumping like crazy. Just ask Tom Aiello -- he celebrated with a spin! ;)

The weather can be quite cool in September -- especially when it is wet. Fleece and a waterproof, breathable shell should suffice.

Have fun,

Bryan

Thanks for the info everyone! Since I'd rahter not go alone and I've got some buddies going to Moab I'll be heading there instead.

I'll hit the Valley next summer.

Coco

I'm also gonna be in moab that weekend . . . driving from colorado if anyone nearby wants to share a ride.