yoink

Riggers advice. 3 rings

I've just noticed that the fabric holding the smallest of my 3 rings is fraying quite severly. Is something like this repairable, or are a new set of risers in order?
And I've also no idea how this happened... second hand rig. Is this common?

Ta

Will

Edited to add pics.

1) Seek a real live rigger to put real live eyes on the problem.

2) It is common for the bartack thread holding that piece of tape or webbing in it's folded mode to start to look pretty ugly without there being an actual problem. This may be what you are seeing. However, again, a real live person should look at this before you next jump the risers.

I've just noticed that the fabric holding the smallest of my 3 rings is fraying quite severly. Is something like this repairable, or are a new set of risers in order?
And I've also no idea how this happened... second hand rig. Is this common?

Ta

Will

Get it fixed before your next jump. It looks badly worn. if your riser releases with the cable still in the riser you are going to be in a whole world of hurt. Seemingly minor things like this can wind up killing you ie: main/ reserve entanglment.

Mick (master rigger 24 years)

Edited to add pics.

I'll definately get it seen to before my next jump - I've checked very carefully and there's no corrosion on the 3-rings, they're all in good repair - the second photo does make it look like that that is a problem though. (Edit - I think it's just a reflection)

Thanks

Will

Looks like you've got good advise.

Also keep in mind that risers are a maintenance item. Depending on the manufacturers recommendation, they should be changed about every 500 jumps.

I usually change mine when I get a new line set.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Also keep in mind that risers are a maintenance item. Depending on the manufacturers recommendation, they should be changed about every 500 jumps.

Good on ya' for pointing that out. It's amazing the number of people that realise that a Pilot Chute needs to be replaced periodicly but don't believe that risers do as well. They take increadible amounts of stress and wear, give em' a break before they give you one!

Blue Skies,
-jp-
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

New Risers on order...

thanks for the advice guys - I second the 'Scary' emotion. I'm not entirely sure what would happen if one riser let go, but I'm prepared to bet it wouldn't be a good thing...

Oh well... at least I've got a reason to get risers that match my colours now :D:$

Edit: Is installing a canopy onto a new set of risers something a rigger should do? I've got Slinks...

>Edit: Is installing a canopy onto a new set of risers something a
>rigger should do? I've got Slinks...

I think it's something best done by the jumper involved with the advice/supervision of a rigger. In most cases, the jumper and not the rigger will be responsible for the maintenance, inspection and eventual replacement of the risers, and knowing how to assemble/disassemble them can help with that.

It happened on a tandem rig last season where I jump. The other riser was worn badly too and had been missed during pre-jump inspections. All TM's were asked to take a look at the other un-broken, worn riser. They have all added a more close inspection of the main risers to their routine.
They all disconect the RSL's and in the case of the one that broke the reserve would have been deployed into the trailing main.
This is not posted to start the "they should have" comments because they all know "they should have....". I only wanted to get this out there because it is good information to know.

(I just keep learning..............)
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Edit: Is installing a canopy onto a new set of risers something a rigger should do? I've got Slinks...

Technically, in the UK, it should be done by an Advanced Packer or above. But I second Bill Von's sentiments, get Richie Rich or H to show you how to do it, or at least watch them :)

Touting for business? Me? With my reputation? ;)
---
Swoopert, CS-Aiiiiiii!
Piccies