cpoxon

Canadian backlash - Thrill-seeking must come at a cost

From The Golden Star

Shame I couldn't post this in the original thread but it got locked for some reason.

Let me start off by first saying that I fail to fully understand exactly what compels a BASE jumper to hurl himself off a cliff — or a Calgary skyscraper, for that matter — with nothing but a parachute representing the difference between the achievement of an ego-boosting feat and a gruesome and disturbing death.
Nor do I pretend to see why some ‘hardcore’ skiers venture into the backcountry at times when avalanche risks are publicized as extremely high, throwing caution to the wind in the name of thrill-seeking, or, just maybe, aiming to become a legend both in their buddies’ eyes and in their own minds.
I know at some level, in a childish sort of way, the act of defying the odds and rushing headlong into potential danger can produce some sort of rush or sense of excitement. So be it. To each his own. Perhaps I’m just a timid lame-o. And hey, this type of behaviour is common in an adventure sport mecca, right?
But this week’s news of a BASE jump gone wrong just south of Golden highlights a more troubling reality: Every time one of these stuntmen — and they are usually men, whether that’s a surprise to anyone or not — boldy (stupidly?) venture forth but screw things up, it comes at a tremendous price to taxpayers.
While it’s hard to gather an exact sense of how much a rescue effort like the one we saw on Sunday night might cost – one official has put it at $100,000 — you have to assume that it wouldn’t exactly be cheap to bring in a Canadian Forces search helicopter and a rescue plane, along with the various other resources that were required to save this ill-fated adventurist.
And let’s not forget the fact that countless residents were made to endure bright flares in the night sky and the sound of rescue vehicles into the early morning hours. Or, most especially, that this daredevil — seemingly in an attempt to either gratify himself or to curry favour among his fellow jumpers — put rescue crews in peril as they flew their helicopter “precariously close to the mountain’s edge,” as the RCMP put it.
But what does this anonymous Joe BASE Jumper care about all that? Sounds like he was in from Vancouver for the weekend and, as members of his curious sub-culture are wont to do, decided to leap off a cliff Sunday afternoon to gather a fuller enjoyment of our lovely mountain setting.
It probably wasn’t so lovely, though, when he was stranded on a four-foot ledge in sub-zero temperatures waiting to be rescued because of his error in judgement.
The man was ulimately taken to Golden Hospital and treated for minor hypothermia. But this should not be viewed in any sense by him, or anybody else, as a clean getaway.
When people, whether they be BASE jumpers or backcountry skiers, exercise extremely bad judgement, deliberately putting themselves and others in harm’s way, we all pay the price. And so, in turn, thrill-seeking must come at a cost.
The only way to ensure guys like this understand the full impact of their actions is to hold them financially accountable.
BASE jumping might not seem like such a good idea if they have to foot the bill for their own fool-hardy negligence.

There is no name to this editorial(?). What evidence does the author have that "this anonymous Joe BASE Jumper" exercised "bad judgement" or was negligent?
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

It would be an interesting poll... Should we pay for our own rescues?

I'd gladly stop paying a portion of my taxes to take certain "matters" into my own hands. Home protection for instance...

I dunno... I just wish there were a name attached to that article, or maybe "Timid lame-o" is name enough.

- smd7

What an asshole!!! If the best interests of the public are to be observed, then maybe we should all stop driving cars, stop smoking, stop playing any sort of sport where injury could occur. Because after all if I hurt myself skiing, or playing hockey I could cost the good tax payer money. Eat my shorts you ####### weenie (in reference to the author of this editorial).

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I dunno... I just wish there were a name attached to that article, or maybe "Timid lame-o" is name enough.

Editorials are written by the editor (editorial staff) and reflect the opinion of the periodical in question.

Newspapers often take positions on issues this way.

Any response should be directed to the editor.

Edited to add: http://www.thegoldenstar.net/portals-code/contact.cgi?paper=100

FURTHER EDITED TO ADD: It has been pointed out to me--and it is clear from the posts that follow--that some people are taking this as...encouragement, I guess...to write to the editor.

As others have noted, that's not a very good idea.

On the other hand, if knowledge is power, then knowing all one can should be a good thing. Apparently, in this case at least, it's not.

The point is: a) editorials are not published as the opinion of any one person but as the collective position of the newspaper, and b) if anyone actually bothered to look at the link and read the text, this is a pretty rinky-dink publication, and I don't think their editorial is going to be picked up by AP or UPI.

And if you decide to write anyway, remember that education is always better than battering.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

Any response should be directed to the editor.

My gut feeling says it may be better to ignore the article rather than send argumentative emails to the editor. They may get posted only putting oil on the fire.

I know that the jumper is in the middle of taking appropriate actions to make sure that all rescue personnel is awarded appropriately. Furthermore, a generous donation to a local Golden charity will be made to try and make up for having disturbed the nighttime peace.

This may not make up for the rescue cost, but as has been pointed out; the line between recklesness and risk management is a fine one. Is a stranded hiker unable to use a compass less reckless than a BASE jumper? I'm not argueing the jumper didn't make mistakes, but there's a lot of perception involved...

So please, do not write any emails to the editor. Just let it go and discuss here instead.

My gut feeling says it may be better to ignore the article rather than send argumentative emails to the editor. They may get posted only putting oil on the fire.

Bravo. They'd care less about the content of a response than they would about the fact that someone, anyone, responded. Fuel the fire and it only serves to sell more papers. They're in it for the business, not because they print what they think is actually newsworthy.

-C.

never let the truth get in the way of a good story..if you dont have editorial control dont talk to them....

This may not make up for the rescue cost

I have to agree with the above replys, Who ever wrote this is a"F ^%$^ing lame ass"... Another one trying to save everyone from everything. If it was a hiker who slipped and fell ..they woudnt be bitching about it would they. And for the cost of the rescue and risk....What do you think these search and rescue people get paid..."by us" do all day.??? They sit around waiting to save some sorry ass like ourselves to screw up because they are trained to do this....They want to do this... Again i am not defending the jumper as i dont know all the facts but it doesnt matter... A lame ass or a heads up jumper should get the same help......[crazy

In the end...the universe has a way of working itself out.... "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"

I know at some level, in a childish sort of way, the act of defying the odds and rushing headlong into potential danger can produce some sort of rush or sense of excitement.

when people push envelopes, you never know what will develop.

BASE manufacturers developed emergency building escape systems after 9/11.

NASA has a program designed to push techology they developed out into the market. 'course they then brag about these "spin-offs." (good pr never hurt congressional funding...)

the general public probably thought nothing much would come of the Wright brothers' work.

granted, few in the general public can distinguish between recklessness and managed risk. this subtle difference is the key. Wilbur Wright recognized this when he stated, "Carelessnesss and overconfidence are usually more dangerous than deliberately accepted risks."

unfortunately, the editor (or editorial board) fails to recognize this distinction. it appears they assumed the jumper acted recklessly.
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

Please see the above addendum to my post.
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

Thanks Rhonda!

And you're right, it's not exactly a huge newspaper, but it could nonetheless turn into a nuisance for some people (not just for the jumper involved, but also for other local jumpers and their objects).

In this area of Canada people are searched for and rescued all the time. People engage in every single imaginable outdoor activity (including teasing grizzlies, snowmobiling on 2 inch ice and backcountry skiing in high avalanche risk times and areas :-)

This was certainly a spectacular rescue, but let's not forget that Canadian military has enough problems with helicopters (issue well advertised in Canadian media) and I am sure they are keen to advertise a success story.

edited for typos

Whether or not other areas of the public utilize the services of rescue personell, those invoved in fringe activities, such as BASE jumping, should be prepared to pay for their own rescues.

Get your own rescue insurance... very simple solution.

HAHA
What a fucking tosser!! That guy (editorial writer) belongs on his couch in his safe house, never to venture outside for fear of getting West Nile Virus from a mosquito!

Seriously, the media people are sooooo retarded it isn't even funnny. I know this because my training is in photojournalism and I have worked at a large daily paper. I no longer do because it was such a joke!
SabreDave

Keep in mind, the taxpayer spends the same amount of money on 442's training missions as it does for actual SAR.

Absolutely. I've certainly heard before in this country that the military would fight to keep their SAR missions. It's the best kind of training they have.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Perhaps If some individuals were 'smart' enough to offer some decent 'Insurance policy' to cover these types of events then maybe nobody needs to 'lose'

As I see it......no body really would offer insurance policies for such an activity.....why?......lack of understanding of the discipline ( ie thinking everyone who jumps is a weirdo with no sense of regard for their or others lives..) ??
Potential complications with legal issues on access for a jump.?

Correct me if I am wrong but alot of 'E's are legal....or at worst tolerated......so wouldnt it be a good idea to be able to take out a specific policy (whereby the providor has in depth knowledge of the risks , likleyhood, and recommended safeguards) to cover eventualities that occur .

Other mountain sports have these policies......right?

And if one existed......wouldnt it be 'irresponsible; not to have it......not as a statement of your perceived ability for the object you are jumping......but just as it is...as insurance when something unforseen happens....

I'd be interested to see if other high risk mountain sports (that you can get insurance for) have a higher or lower incidence of 'events' requiring such involved rescues.......compared to jumping off cliffs ....

My opinion is that the lack of 'formal' qualification in the discipline will always be its weakest link when it comes to progression in these matters.

But it would be great to know you had some policy that if........if.....you messed up.....you knew you were not putting others at risk without 'suitable' compensation.

I remember reading something about contributions to the S&R team at Kjerag being de'rigeur as part of doing any jumps there.....thats cool , but a more formal approach via some sort of policy would be even better.
Edited to add.....I'm not a BASE jumper , so please fell free to tell me I have no idea what I am talking about.....but please also qualify that with an explanation

i dont post here much but this is something i feel pretty close too. as a firefighter i have been on a couple of incidents which involved friends. i was off duty but more than happy to help. also this was a chance to keep up my trama skills. i hate seeing people injured either by stupidity (more the general public) or by accidents beyond thier control (murrphys law). although when it does happen in front of me im more than happy to help.

the thing is as a firefighter i do regular training to meet our monthly requirements. which are just the minimum required. most of the time though im just sitting around the station waiting for something to happen. so if something happens or not the general public still pays for our services. buricrats dont realize this. when we have a call we add up all the fuel and equiptment used (such as splints, ivs, and so on), how many people were on duty and thier pay during the time spent on scene. we calculate all of this up and get a number. the only cost the injured causes is the replacement of equiptment. not the whole $100,000 in this incident.

also i hope that if i ever have an accident that the public services would be more than happy to help me as i have others. they have the know how, and a duty to act since they are on duty getting paid by us with our taxes.

in turn i have spent more than enough tax dollars on buricrats like this that shovel thier snow when they have a known heart condition. one of which prior to passing away was bragging to friends that he hadnt taken his heart medication in over a week and was feeling fine. whose high blood pressure cause a aortic anurism while playing basketball.

one more thing that someone brought up with the 2 inch ice comment. i cannot tell you how much the coast guard here in detroit has spent saving ice fisherman traped on ice floats becouse they drove thier snowmobile on the ice then the ice broke. they have all the money to buy the equiptment but no common sense to realize the ice was melting. at least we check the weather and calculate our risks. not to mention most of us wear safty pads and other gear such as good boots. while these ice fisherman go out in the ice with only a coat on. not the $600 anti-hypothermia suits we put on to save thier foolish behinds. i have no trouble with them ice fishing. but they should better calculate thier risks and check the weather better. like i and my fellow base jumpers do.

in final im sorry to rant so much just thought since the editor didnt bother researching the subject i just thought i would give the opinion of a public servant.

Perhaps If some individuals were 'smart' enough to offer some decent 'Insurance policy' to cover these types of events then maybe nobody needs to 'lose.'

When I called the American Alpine Club to ask, they said that their rescue insurance would cover a BASE accident. The coverage isn't all that great, but it's better than nothing by a fair bit.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

The 'all inclusive' policy is only available on rescues above 6000m .....obviously not very useful to the majority of the BASE jumps....
Its strange that the policy that would be available has a 'per claim' value so low comparable to the costs likely to be involved in a Mountain Rescue attempt....(of which I have no knowledge.....but its gotta be well over $5K)

Even for Mountain Climbers at this altitude.........would this policybe likely to cover all costs involved in an average( whatever that may be ) rescue attempt.....

But its good to hear that they would honour a policy for BASE'rs fitting into the policy restrictions...

Bah, what are the SAR-Tech's for if not to rescue people who need rescuing! You guys rule in my book, 442 Rock On!
Life is ez
On the dz
Every jumper's dream
3 rigs and an airstream

I agree with this editorial. Right now I'm also being forced to pay taxes for things I don't use or need in my life.

I agree with this editorial. Right now I'm also being forced to pay taxes for things I don't use or need in my life.

First off, you are in the States so what do you care about what happens up here? Second, the SAR-Techs are spending the money training if they are not flying/doing missions. They were quite jacked to use their skills and training for a real night mountain rescue. AS they say, "they are tired of plucking people off of boats."

From health care to rescue to air ambulance.... It is all set up different here than down there so unless U get the whole picture it's tough to take what U say as an informed opinion.
SabreDave

Get your own rescue insurance... very simple solution.

From who? What companies offer this? Do you have some? Fill us in on where to get it.

Also, where does the line get drawn for "fringe" activities? Ice-climbing and backcountry touring is pretty fringe to the average shmuck.
SabreDave

From one of your previous posts

...I wish I called them when I made my first unsupervised jump. I emptied huge portion of my "luck bucket".

You put your self in jeapardy and lucked out. What happened? Was there a chance you would have needed rescue?
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto