dmcoco84

BASE in a Hoody

So its winter now and climbing A’s in the night has become quite cold but manageable. I have a few nice hoodies that are really warm but decided not to wear any of them on a BASE jump because I thought if I had a problem on deployment the hood could possible get in the way of my peripheral vision or become problematic in some other way. In the last few days I have seen videos of jumpers in hoodies, but not only that, some doing aerials with them.

For those of you who jump in hoodies regularly or have in the past, have you ever had a problem with them getting in the way in any circumstance?

Coco

I've jumped in a hoody pretty frequently. I just tuck the hood into the jacket before I jump. Maybe it's unreasonable, but I've seen sunglass cords snag a bridle in skydiving, and would hate to have my bridle hitch itself around a loose hood.

A few jumps in hoodies, i am also a little nervous about them, but tuck it in or wear it and cinch it down, either way limits the chances.

I remember seeing a skydiving video about 5 or 6 years ago with a freeflier wearing a hoodie and doing weedwackers, the hood fully covered the reserve cap. kinda freaked me out about the whole hoodie idea, but i grew past it.

Check attachment

+ Doesn't screwe up your make up
+ Warm
+ Doesn't screwe up your visuals
+ Small chance of entanglement

- Will get you arrested for no reason
- Will get you shot and killed in the US

Ok, I think there has been a mixup:

To clearify, I'm talking about Hoody Sweat Shirts. Not head warms like in your attachment.

Coco

I think they're suggesting an alternative to your hoodie... at least that's what I thought anyway.

I like to jump in hoodie sweatshirts. Its especially fun to put your hands in the front pocket. And for those that like the extra danger you can always circle your thumb and forfinger into locking rings with both hands inside the pocket. Whenever in doubt simply tuck in the hood. I find that the Triax Hoodie is the most comfortable of all. (product push)

Kenyon
www.triaxproductions.com

dude

you totally forgot to mention that the front pocket on the hoody is the perfect place to keep your T-STAKE !!!

dmcoco84 - I've seen a few jumps by people wearing hoodies, but they were all psycho... :S

Good point but I'm not looking for head warmth, I'm looking for upper torso warmth. If I were able to wear a hoody I could eliminate 1-2 layers. Would be nicer.

Coco

I think they're suggesting an alternative to your hoodie... at least that's what I thought anyway.

Its also a good place for beer or a crack pipe!

:D Thanks guys! That was a good laugh. Yea every video I have seen the hood has not been tucked in so I was curious. I'll just tuck it in.

Coco

dude

you totally forgot to mention that the front pocket on the hoody is the perfect place to keep your T-STAKE !!!

dmcoco84 - I've seen a few jumps by people wearing hoodies, but they were all psycho... :S

Good point but I'm not looking for head warmth, I'm looking for upper torso warmth.

well then wear a fucking sweatshirt :S

or move to florida where the winter nite-time-antenna-climb usually involves a long sleeve tshirt to keep hypothermia from setting in...
(is IS like... 62 degrees or something....freezing...)

seriously tho.. a tshirt, a thermal long sleeve, and a impermeable, no hood (or zipaway hood) shell should work just fine... otherwise its too cold, or youre just not climbing hard enough...

So its winter now and climbing A’s in the night has become quite cold but manageable.
Coco

I thought you were the "extra warm" guy? ;^)

I've jumped a ton in hoodies, as has my friend. If your not gonna roll it inside itself or your collar, safest to have it up. Of course if it fits under your HELMET, problem solved.

cheers
pope

Good point but I'm not looking for head warmth, I'm looking for upper torso warmth. If I were able to wear a hoody I could eliminate 1-2 layers. Would be nicer.

Just tie the strings snug around your neck if not on the approach at least before exit if the hood concerns you. If it is real cold it will keep your neck warm, but it is easy to overheat this way if you do it on/before the approach. With the hood secured to your neck before you exit, there is no more chance of obstruction than with a fleece that rises high on you neck, I usually tie mine down right before I exit. I am yet to make a jump without a hoodie.

If you really want core heat with less layering, go buy a vest at a thrift store. You can wear this under everything and it will keep you warmer than a hoodie.
Premier Member IGPA
2009 IGPA Overall Champion

WWTAD

they do make sweat shirts without hoods you know...
and its allot cheaper than that fancy wind meter.

they do make sweat shirts without hoods you know...
and its allot cheaper than that fancy wind meter.

Yea yea!!!! I don't have any though. I'm trying to save money cause I'm a cheap bastard! Plus since I just bought, 2 new PC's 36 and 46, a wind meter, boeri helmet, PF phantom, and some other shit! I'M BROKE BIATCH!!!

Coco

I am the "extra warm" guy! Just not when 20 mph winds make the wind chill 24.8 degree's! That night was fucking cold!!!!

I'm jumping some snowboard pants now so that keeps me pretty warm, I just need to find something better for my upper body. To many layers gets irritating. Yea yea I'm bitchin' but who cares!!! :D:P

As least I'm jump. ;)

Coco

So its winter now and climbing A’s in the night has become quite cold but manageable.
Coco

I thought you were the "extra warm" guy? ;^)

I've jumped a ton in hoodies, as has my friend. If your not gonna roll it inside itself or your collar, safest to have it up. Of course if it fits under your HELMET, problem solved.

cheers
pope

I just need to find something better for my upper body. To many layers gets irritating.

Look into windstopper fleece. If the wind is the major issue, windstopper fleece is lightweight, breathable, and usually non-binding. It's good stuff for tower climbing. I've got a reasonably cheap windstopper jacket I bought at REI about 10 years ago that has made more BASE jumps than most of the people I know.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

only problem I've ever had with a hoody was doing a barrel roll at the end of a skydive, the hood covered my vision completely.

REI?

Recreational Equipment Incorporated. It's a giant outdoors retailer. Other, similar stores include Campmor and MEC.

I've found that Sierra Trading Post is a great place to pick up outdoors clothing and such for super cheap, if you're patient (willing to wait for them to get something that you want) and not too picky about fashion.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

How about wearing it backwards like Criss-Cross did back in the day and have the hood up?

I could even wear my rig on the front!!!

:D:D

Coco