Fulton System, jump from ground up into a flying C 130

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36065&item=2224997338

Anyone remember this system? Flying C 130 snatches a guy from the ground by snagging a balloon, guy is winched into Herc. Was it ever used operationally?
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Anyone remember this system? Flying C 130 snatches a guy from the ground by snagging a balloon, guy is winched into Herc. Was it ever used operationally?

Now there's something interesting to do on a day when it's too cloudy to jump. I wonder if we can retrofit an Otter to snag this system? Test jumpers, anyone?

yes it was used a few times. Ive posted on it in history and trivia but im too tired right now to find it. theres even some footage of it in an old john wayne film called "green berrets" where they reinact the real extraction of an nva general . talk about a hairbrained idea. I think the first use was to extract a couple of CIA agents from an abandond soviet ice station (airbase built on an iceburg) in the north pacific after they had raided it for intel. must sleep now... flue. [:/]

In addition to Halo jumps,round training jumps,balloon and helo jumps,a wind tunnel and maybe some real big antennas I would get one of these when I open my own DZ.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

Good story

Fulton first used instrumented dummies as he prepared for a live pickup. He next used a pig, as pigs have nervous systems close to humans. Lifted off the ground, the pig began to spin as it flew through the air at 125 mph. It arrived on board undamaged but in a disoriented state. Once it recovered, it attacked the crew.

:D
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Last time I was in Hurlburt Field, there were still a few C-130's setup for Fulton extraction. Back in the day when they were live testing the system, one of my dad's old friends (then currently running the Pathfinder committee at Fort Benning), Johnny Johnson, was the second person to actually use it. Originally, the "extractee's" harness had chest rings and the person was fitted with a reserve in case the cable/rope snapped. I have done many a STABO and SPIE/FRIE extraction, but always thought that a Fulton (skyhook) extraction would have been incredibly bad-ass to have done.

Chuck

Originally, the "extractee's" harness had chest rings and the person was fitted with a reserve in case the cable/rope snapped.

Chuck

If I remember correctly, the wearing of reserves began immediately after a fatal mishap during the earliest testing by NAVY personnel...

Russ

Generally, it is your choice; will your life serve as an example... or a warning?

I have done many a STABO and SPIE/FRIE

I'm familair with the others but what is FRIE
extraction?

but always thought that a Fulton (skyhook) extraction would have been incredibly bad-ass to have done.
Chuck

And that is POV that needs to be uploaded to our movies section!

FRIEs stands for Fast Rope Insertion Extraction. It is a Fastrope with attachment points at the bottom of the rope that allows you to hook into it and extract in the same manner as a STABO or SPIES system. It cuts down on having to have a different rope or configuration on the A/C in order to extract. So you can basically Fast rope in and FRIES out all on the same rope.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING