JaapSuter

Ice Climb BASE

Does anybody have any experience with or opinions on combining ice climbing and BASE jumping?

Hello,
I have an opinion.
Avery
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

Seeing as how many people get hurt just jumping, I'd say, it'd probably be in your best interest to have G/C rap down the axes, crampons and any other pointy shit that could, ummm.... (what's the word I'm looking for? Oh yeah) FUCKING STAB YOU.

Like Avery said.

I have an opinion.

- SMD7

Yup.

Be very careful landing with crampons. It's hard to run out the landing, because they tend to stick, which can result in twisted ankles, etc.

Be very sure of your landing. It's common to lash the ice axe to your leg, with the axe head roughly inline with your foot and the shaft running up toward your knee. Since most ice axes have a sharp point at the end of the shaft, you must be very aware of it's location if you need to PLF or otherwise crash land.

My general opinion is that unless there's a super cool jump that couldn't be had otherwise, there's absolutely no reason to add the extra risk factors.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Ice Climb & BASE : done in Quebec by 2 french mountain guides.

See picture bellow (in french, sorry)

Translation (bad one, but not by google ... just me !) :
----------------------
First, you have to think on it, and then you have to do it. Sam and Erwan, both mountain guides and base jumpers where trying to find THE "iced waterfall" : steep enought to do a good "extrem" climb, and then jump it. They find it in Quebec near the St Laurent river with a 130 meters overhang. They spent 2 days to climb it, and 5 second to go down.
It's the first time in BASE history that people jump from the top of a iced waterfall after climbing it for the first time.
You can find that story on the DVD "les grivrés du Quebec"
------------------------

Since most ice axes have a sharp point at the end of the shaft, you must be very aware of it's location if you need to PLF or otherwise crash land.

You could put a large cork over the tip to lessen the chance for that early knee surgery.

What year????

There have been several ice climbs/jumps done in Italy and Switz.

There have also been numerous ice traverses and mountaineering/climbing + jumps done in various places including Norway and the Euro Alps.

Just because people have never heard of something, they think they are the first. :D

A good example is the thread on jumping the Eiger. Then there is that Felix guy...... ;)
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

I think they say it's the first time because they OPEN it for climbing too (first climb)

So first time for Open (climb) -> open (jump)

I have an opinion.

About combining ice climbing and BASE, or just an opinion in general?

Actually, I'd be interested to hear it either way. :)

be sure to WIKI'fy it once he posts his opinion... :P
dauuuuyyyyyyymnnnn sup monkey
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Be very careful landing with crampons. It's hard to run out the landing, because they tend to stick, which can result in twisted ankles, etc.

Be very sure of your landing. It's common to last the ice axe to your leg, with the axe head roughly inline with your foot and the shaft running up toward your knee. Since most ice axes have a sharp point at the end of the shaft, you must be very aware of it's location if you need to PLF or otherwise crash land.

Thanks Tom, much appreciated. Getting rid of most gear before the jump seems like a good strategy.

My general opinion is that unless there's a super cool jump that couldn't be had otherwise, there's absolutely no reason to add the extra risk factors.

Absolutely no reason? Jumping is as much about the journey as it is about the finish, if not more so.

I concur with Tom regarding the crampon thing . . . .

Hell I can't tell you how many time I have gored myself in the calf stumbling my way up the approach to an ice climb. Usually it is the direct result of being fatigued and stumbling, however I can imagine how things could go bad trying to run out landing.

Depending on the height of the cliff, and where you pull at, some step in crampon designs might allow you to remove them prior to landing, but this would be costly if you failed to relocate them.

Cheers,

Bigwall

Its a wonderful effort neverthless - and the picture looks awesome.

Well done to the guys....
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

the para pack II

co-developed by Moe Viletto and Todd Shoebothom (sp?) of APEX BASE, the para pack II could easilly accomodate crampons, a short foldable axe and other gear if the pointy ends are suitably protected.

be safe
use the right equipment for the task at hand.

kleggo

Fold-able axe?

Oh right... the kind that comes with the inflate-able crampons.

Jaap:

Sam... the frenchy shown jumping in the photo from Quebec, comes over to to rockies every few winters to ice climb. As far as I know, he has looked at a number of climbs, but hasn't jumped anything so far.

Terminator... too slabby, except (maybe) with skis.
Upper Weeping wall... potential exit to the climber's left.
Cryophobia... potential exit at top of route.

Send the gear down with your partner. If you have to huck with crampons, you pop em' off under canopy, and then drop them just before you land... done it under paraglider...easy.

Jaap:

Sam... the frenchy shown jumping in the photo from Quebec, comes over to to rockies every few winters to ice climb. I believe he was the first to jump *********.

Actually, I strongly believe that Michael, aka "Crwper" beat Sam to be the first to jump mentioned wall.
SabreDave

this is the third "first jump" from the matterhorn i heard of.:S
it's jumped by sputnik in 2002.
according the jump magazine (issue 4,oct 1984,last side)it's already jumped in 1984 by pierre gevaux........