mina

My boyfriend will not let me BASE :(

I am have never based just one tandem under my belt. My boyfried said that I was too fat for the sport.Joke, Honestly I am avery hott 100 pound girlie that is scared of heights and will like some day to join my man and do all kinds of traveling to all the objects around the world. (he is an experienced base jumper) and says he will not teach me till I am ready..when will that be? How many skydives does someone need and has anyone done base first then skydive?

troll... if not... listen to him and other experianced base jumpers...

ok update:

((trying not to get pulled in))

what I am saying is that if he is as experianced as you claim, then you should trust his judgement.

It seems that your BF is looking out for your best interest.

Read the following article. Big thing to note is that most base jumpers have a few hundred skydives and experiance with big 7cell type canopies.

http://www.dropzone.com/...etail_page.cgi?ID=64

If you want to pursue BASE, it is highly advised that you get the appropriate experiance under your belt. I assume yoru BF dosent want you to persue BASE at the moment due to the lack of experiance needed for such a high risk activity.

once more thing.. please check out the unofficial "death list"

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.basefatalities.info%2F
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

What the hell does that mean? It doesn't make any sense? Plus, I am not a troll!! by the looks of it, you are the troll . troll!

((trying not to get pulled in))

what I am saying is that if he is as experianced as you claim, then you should trust his judgement.

It seems that your BF is looking out for your best interest.

Read the following article. Big thing to note is that most base jumpers have a few hundred skydives and experiance with big 7cell type canopies.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/safety/detail_page.cgi?ID=64
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

guys, I think she's actually serious. ;)
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

Mina,

I think that your boyfriend (a) is showing good judgment, and (b) really cares about you.

Read my thoughts on having your boyfriend teach you BASE here.

Why not find someone else to teach you BASE? If you an find someone you aren't having a relationship with, you're more likely to have a productive learning/teaching relationship.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Number One: You have one tandem skydive and you wonder why someone who cares about you doesn't want you to start BASE jumping?

Numero Dos: If you really wanted to do something, you wouldn't use the disapproval of your boyfriend as a reason that can stop you.

Numero Trois: Why are you asking how many skydives it takes. Your man is a base jumper. Why don't you have this info already?

Nummer vier: You're right. You are not a troll. But you ARE a FUCKING IDIOT.

Nr. Fünf: Dump your loser boyfriend, hook up with Jaap Suter, and he'll totally teach you how to BASE jump while boning the crap out of you.

Cornishe One, over and out for 2 weeks!

But you ARE a FUCKING IDIOT.

Cornishe One, over and out for 2 weeks.

Sigh. What I have to put up with from the kids around here.

Personal Attack. See you in 14 days.

Let's really try not to make a habit of this, ok?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Cornishe One, over and out for 2 weeks.

Sigh. What I have to put up with from the kids around here.

Personal Attack. See you in 14 days.

Well, at least he knew going into it what the likely outcome would be.

Sort of that whole risk/reward calculus that we're always doing. ;)

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

if i get enough nude pics of you(if your a girl:P) i might tell were you can find people who want to deathcamp you,if your not into that you should listen to your wise BF and wait BASEjumping before your ready...

Read the "getting into BASE" on the top of this tread or zone(whatever)...

Hey Abbie now i can insult you for 14 days(in a nice way ofcourse:):ph34r:) whith out you can defend your self..Now go Wax that #$$:ph34r:

If your arround Nic,then tell him to chek his mail...B|

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

hey he is banned man... lol follow the rules

HE cant live vicariously through you on the board...

hahaa
Leroy

Who wants thier signifigant other to go everywhere with them, none of my buddies. I taught my wife to fish, and since she didnt like it she would nag me when I decided to go everytime after that. We were divorced about 3 years later.

Listen to your mans underlying hints, I love you hunny but for gods sake let me have my own time and space.

Good Point!

My buddy and I just the other day were talking about the pros and cons of dating a skydiver. On the one hand your girl won’t bitch that you are at the DZ all the time because she would want to be there also, but on the other hand you have no time for yourself and you also have less jump money. :P

P.S Great article Tom!

My buddy and I just the other day were talking about the pros and cons of dating a skydiver. On the one hand your girl won’t bitch that you are at the DZ all the time because she would want to be there also, but on the other hand you have no time for yourself and you also have less jump money. :P

It is obvious from your post that your first instructors failed in their mission and that the underlying culture of parachuting has been irretrivably lost in your neck of the woods.

First of all, you should have plenty of time for yourself, because you each should be jumping with others--I believe the bumper sticker says: "Just because I slept with you last night doesn't mean I'll jump with you in the morning."

Second and more important, you should have more money not less, because skydivers, who up until recently have mostly all been men, have a traditional knack for getting their women to pay for everything, not just their jumps.

Finally, if the above is true of skydivers, it is even more true of base jumpers. Your mentor needs a spanking for not teaching this as the first lesson.

I don't know what's going on out there in the world today, but you are clearly doing something wrong if this is not your experience.

Sincerely,
rl (who figures this thread was toast from the outset)
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

Well, perhaps I can word it a little more clearly. You will have less time away from your significant other in the times you need that “personal space”. For many the DZ is a place where they spend that time apart, same as golfing, fishing, or whatever it is you do. For many women I would assume shopping is a big one. If your SO is at the DZ every weekend, regardless of the fact that you are jumping together or not, you do lose a place you can go to get away. I’m not saying that it’s a terrible thing its just one possible con on the list. As TomSucks said “Who wants their significant other to go everywhere with them, none of my buddies. I taught my wife to fish, and since she didn’t like it she would nag me when I decided to go every time after that. We were divorced about 3 years later.”

My last gf used to complain quite a bit that I wanted to spend the whole weekend at the dz and never took a day off. I told her that in the beginning of the relationship that that would happen and I would rarely take a day off but it obviously went it one ear and out the other. If you date a skydiver they will have a similar understanding of your passion and that you would rather spend the weekend or a good portion of it jumping and chillin with your buddies and not shopping for potpourri. I have dated on the DZ and it was great but for others it may not be appealing.

Yes that is true. I have another friend who’s gf was his sugar momma. She paid for all is gear and his jumps. And she wasn’t a jumper. But if your SO jumps also and you are pooling your incomes, in some situations it could end up cut into your jump money.

Regardless…This post is about mina and how if she does wish to BASE jump in the future with an adequate level of skydiving experience she needs to do so with a mentor as Tom has described.

I can't wait to see your reply to Jimmy's post.

Please, please, please take him as seriously as you did me.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

[climbs out on limb and reveals age]

Hello,
Perhaps everyone should pray for the right significant other.
By that, I don't mean the mate who will accept skydiving as a priority.
I mean the mate who becomes the priority.
Seek a mate who you love entirely, and who loves you back the same, and your heart will be fulfilled.
It will take less of the other stuff to keep it that way.
Then skydiving or BASE jumping should fall into it's perspective place in your life.
Free to skydive or BASE jump to your hearts content,
and content to spend more time with your mate.
Seek wholeness, you will discover treasure.

[/retreats]
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

*bows*

Ah-so! B|

*bows*

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

[climbs out on limb and reveals age]

No. Not age. Everyone gets old.

Proverbs 4:5-7

rl

:)
Talk about a 'panty droppa'! :$

How youuuuuuu doin? :);)

*Edited to add italics for emphasis* lol

FYI,
Mina is living with me.

Chris
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

Your mentor needs a spanking for not teaching this as the first lesson.

o.k. RL, it looks like Chris has identified himself...
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse