deurich2003

line trim question

A quick check is easy. Lay it out as if you are going to PRO pack it and run the lines up. Compare the lengths of the "A" lines (the lines that attach to the nose). When new, on Stiletoos, they are all the same length (unless that has changed, but I don't think it has). The outside lines will shrink faster (for spectra lines) than the inside lines. The larger the difference in the lines, the more out of trrim it is.

Derek

Just purchased a stiletto manufactured in Feb. of '02. Less than 100 jumps on canopy...should the line trim still be okay? Time doesn't factor into shrinking? Anything else besides use factor into trim changes? Please advise...[:)

100 jumps should be just fine and no time is of no consiquence in shrinkage. Have fun be saffe.
Mick.

I just checked the A lines....they are not the same, however symetrically uneven....the first 3 are even (pretty much), the fourth is a bit longer and the fifth is about the same as the first 3. It is the same way on each side. What's up with that Hooknswoop?

Never Give up! Never Surrender!

>the first 3 are even (pretty much), the fourth is a bit longer and the
>fifth is about the same as the first 3. It is the same way on each side.

Often line lengths are not identical from center to outside; the key is the outside line. This is where shrink will show up first. If the outside line is more than an inch or so shorter than the rest, suspect a trim issue. To get a better idea, get a hold of the PD line trim table (available on their website) and check the actual line lengths against the table.

Wooooh...I just measured A5 which is suppose to be 121" for the Stiletto 135 and it doesn't measure up. There is one cascade for the line which I measure the outside for A5 right?...all the way from the bar tack to the end of the loop? I'm only getting 116???? I'm obviously not measuring correctly...any ideas?

Never Give up! Never Surrender!

If the outside lines are the same length as the center lines, you're OK.

PD has a 'how to measure line trim on PD canopies' on their web page. Reference that to make sure you are measuring them correctly.

It is OK if it isn't exactly in trim. The smaller the canopy, the more affected it is by being out of trim. A navigator 280 won't be affected much by being 2 inches out of trim, a Velocity 74 would be.

Derek

The way I was shown to check line lengths (for a quick and dirty appraisal)

Just check the line lengths of the lines symmetrically from the centre of the canopy.

Both A,B,C lines on the centre cell, both A,B,C lines on the two next cells...... etc.

I don't know if that makes sense, but it will (should?) give you an indication as to your canopy trim.
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

That works great on some canopies, but on an Icarus all the lines are different lengths. I guess you could check the outer of one side to the outside of the other side. Thats why I like my vectran. I can see wear better that I can check trim.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

i was looking at my old sabre and it appears that i can replace the lines without sewing. seems to be something i could do myself. anybody got input? how much is a new lineset?

edit: oops. never mind. forgot about the cascade.
namaste, motherfucker.

i was looking at my old sabre and it appears that i can replace the lines without sewing. seems to be something i could do myself. anybody got input? how much is a new lineset?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If you can replace Sabre lines without sewing, then you are a better man than I Gunga Din.
I always needed a zig-zag or bar-tack sewing machine.
It also helps if you have the arrogant Master Rigger who knows the "secret stuff" that the factory never writes down.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If you can replace Sabre lines without sewing, then you are a better man than I Gunga Din.
I always needed a zig-zag or bar-tack sewing machine.
It also helps if you have the arrogant Master Rigger who knows the "secret stuff" that the factory never writes down.

:)
namaste, motherfucker.