LongWayToFall

Longest Delay possible

Hello, i would like to start of by saying that i have been interested in base jumping for a long time but know that i need more skydiving experience before i'm ready for it. That being said, i have been thinking about the longest base jump possible without using a wingsuit. Where on this planet would somebody be able to do this? Last night i had a dream about a cliff in pakistan that looked pretty nice, but i think there are bigger. Mabey some of the more experianced jumpers on this board could tell me what the requirements would be of such a mountain, specifically the distance needed to build up speed enough to track away from the face and the maximum angle the mountain could have below. If nobody is interested in this idea then i will delete the thread but imagine how cool it would be jump a 30+ second delay?
Micah

Where on this planet would somebody be able to do this? Last night i had a dream about a cliff in pakistan that looked pretty nice, but i think there are bigger.

The highest BASE jump ever made was by Nic Feteris & Glenn Singleman off of the 6237-foot Great Trango Tower in Pakistan. Interesting that your dream was in the same place.

You can see the jump in "BASE Climb". It's pretty scary footage actually. :o

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

imagine how cool it would be jump a 30+ second delay?
Micah

Man! That would be SICK!

There are plenty of these exit points around the world, the requirements would vary depending on the type of jump you were doing.

The vertical distance needed to begin forward movement also varies--In experienced jumpers, I've seen it vary between sub-2 seconds (~30 ft.) and 6+ seconds (~100+ ft.). Since it's generally a good idea to not touch the cliff in freefall, The more dead vertical or overhung the face underneath the exit point is, the larger margin for jumper error.
Again--largely dependent on type of jump, skill level, etc. Altitude will also effect your ability to get your track on. I suspect that your imagined jump in pakistan would require quite a bit more time/distance to begin forward movement than the same jump at one of the more popular Norweigen crags due to the altitude of the exit point relative to sea level.

all this talk about teminal jumps is giving me a woody. I need to go plan a trip!

pope

There's a big terminal jump in the works... you should get on it.

Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

so somebody has jumped the pakistan wall huh? man im gunna need to go and buy that video. Yeah the acceleration section on a mountain that high up (20,000+ft msl) would have to be huge, takes awhile to build up the needed speed to track. I will look around online more and see if i can find anything bigger. :)

So when are you and the denver crew going to make continuim 3...? Your first 2 dvd's are awsome.....B|

didn't dwain do 20 something secounds at ITTW without pants or a suit?? I saw that somewhere...;)

In the end...the universe has a way of working itself out.... "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"

So when are you and the denver crew going to make continuim 3...? Your first 2 dvd's are awsome.....B|

didn't dwain do 20 something secounds at ITTW without pants or a suit?? I saw that somewhere...;)

Thanks! Continuum III is in process-- We're going to *try* to release it at/by BD'06
I know Douggs was ripping high 20's from Smell like 5 years ago--and that was just in a pink tutu/leotard and trailing a handbag! Think what he could do in a dress!

pope

There are several walls in the 3-valleys of northern Norway that has seen 30+ freefalls without any tracking- or wingsuits. I would guess there are even higher walls in the Alps/Dolomites, you just need to find them B|

/Micke N
TEAM Bautasten

I thauged some Norwegians did something around 34 sec from T**** wall in Norway and 50 sec delay (no wingsuit) from somewhere else in Norway. Contact Han-solo if you want to know more.

Does anyone know of any good tracks in that snowplayground in the artic circle? Some very high walls there.

Thijs

Was there with DW - photo at http://tomarent.tripod.com/video.htm on the side menu. Also at http://tomarent.tripod.com/picture.htm - see 32 second delay.

I have achieved twenty somethings without a suit at places like the TW.

And guess what? I am fat, ugly, and can't track for shi$%^t!!!! :D
I guess I have some aerodynamic features that others don't have - a bald head!!!!! B|

So if Douggs took his tutu off (naked), I think he could go 50% better than me. That's only because he would have lots of drag on his . .umm . . thing. So if he covered that thing or put it somewhere safe, he would probably double my times!!!!!!!!

Anyway, learn to fall before you can track like a mo focker on a big wall!! They have a histroy of catching people out.

Stay Safe
Have Fun
Good Luck

Tom
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

First I think Norway probably has the nicest and best terminal walls on the planet.I fyou're looking for loooong delays you should go there.
Baffin island has probably the highest and sheerest wall. I did 27 sec there with no track no suit and a high pull.
The Queen Maud region in Antartica has some very high cliffs but weather conditions are very rough.
Just to be more accurate about Trango Tower in Pakistan. The Nameless tower is huge! But Nic Feteris and Glenn Singelman didn't jump Nameless tower. They did a 9-10 sec delay maximum(may be even less). I think what they did is pretty cool but the cliff they jumped (wich is in the Trango massiv)what not that big and the delay was not that long.

edit for site names ~TA

Nic Feteris and Glenn Singelman didn't jump Nameless tower. They did a 9-10 sec delay maximum(may be even less). I think what they did is pretty cool but the cliff they jumped (wich is in the Trango massiv)what not that big and the delay was not that long.

Their jump was the first i had seen or heard of BASE and was ultimately what inspired me to get into parachuting.

The headcam footage blew my mind at the time, now it seems like old hat.

Same for me.The 16mm footage was amazing. A scary jump but I learned a few things watching this jump.

To all the veterans, whilst there may be some naivety and inexperience in this post, just sit back and admire the dream.

To Longwaytofall - pursue your dream, be passionate about it. Because without dreams, there is NO reality.

Just remember - on the journey to achieving your dream, there are many steps. Take each one. The penalty for avoiding the steps may be as great as life itself. The reward is many fantastic experiences and people along the way. You'll be greatful once you reach your goal of llllloooooooonnnnnnnggggggggg freefalls.

Stay Safe
Have Fun
Good Luck

:)

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

To all the veterans, whilst there may be some naivety and inexperience in this post, just sit back and admire the dream.

To Longwaytofall - pursue your dream, be passionate about it. Because without dreams, there is NO reality.

Just remember - on the journey to achieving your dream, there are many steps. Take each one. The penalty for avoiding the steps may be as great as life itself. The reward is many fantastic experiences and people along the way. You'll be greatful once you reach your goal of llllloooooooonnnnnnnggggggggg freefalls.

Stay Safe
Have Fun
Good Luck

:)

I seen this years ago
you could say Singelman was pioneering arials with his front flips :P

Thanks! Continuum III is in process-- We're going to *try* to release it at/by BD'06
I know Douggs was ripping high 20's from Smell like 5 years ago--and that was just in a pink tutu/leotard and trailing a handbag! Think what he could do in a dress!

pope

I have Continuum II. It is awesome. I might have watched it too much...when I put it in the dvd player my chick never fails to say, "Are you really going to watch this again?"

She is not fond of Adrenaline Rush either.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

Has Nameless Tower been jumped by anyone? I read an expedition report by Xaver Bongard, who climbed it with a friend and originally wanted to jump it, but then didn't since from the group, just the two made the summit and he didn't want to leave his friend alone on top. He also said he dropped something and it hit 50 m further down.

you could say Singelman was pioneering arials with his front flips

What's kind of funny is that Singleman, the climber had a better exit than Nic. :D

But the main reason for the insane tumble-fall was that neither had considered one very important factor... the air is EXTREMELY thin at that altitude. They no real air to work with even as they gained airspeed.

I haven't seen Marta's BASE Climb 2. Did she also jump Trango?

(I'm not too concerned with site-naming in this particular instance because it requires an incredibly technical climb to get to and, probably more relevant, given the currentl political climate, I doubt many of us will be travelling to Pakistan any time soon :P).

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

(I'm not too concerned with site-naming in this particular instance because it requires an incredibly technical climb to get to and, probably more relevant, given the currentl political climate, I doubt many of us will be travelling to Pakistan any time soon :P).

Except maybe with guns. Lots of guns.
Lee _______________________________

In a world full of people, only some want to fly, is that not crazy?
http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk

> But the main reason for the insane tumble-fall was that neither had considered one very important factor... the air is EXTREMELY thin at that altitude
Yes, but I would add that their VERY POOR exit was due to the fact that they NEVER trained to do exits with high mountain boots, which high mountain boots are very rigid and stiff, where your ankle is completely trapped, so your (standard) exit is going to be completely upset by this "new" condition of your ankles/legs. Furthermore, they exited off of nothing, there was no proper exit point, their mountain crew had to cut off the ice a small horizontal platform facing the vertical drop.
Imagine: to do for the first time ever an exit off a slippery ice platform with something that constrains completely your ankle and your leg up to mid-calf, add to that that both chaps had kg's and kg's of video equipment on their helmets... B|

> They no real air to work with even as they gained airspeed
Indeed, but if you exit good there is no need to have any "air". When you are flat and stable, sooner or later you will have some air speed with which you can work and do some good track.

> I haven't seen Marta's BASE Climb 2. Did she also jump Trango?
After Glenn and Nick jump off Trango, NOBODY jumped again. In the expedition of BASE climb 2 NOBODY jumped. Marta stopped somewhere at the last camp on the side of the mountain (I think she was stopped by the too thin air (=lack of oxygen)). Who continued the climb were: Glenn, Glenn's wife and 2 mountaineers. When they were about to reach the "exit", Glenn and Glenn's wife rested and the 2 mountaineers went (tried to go...) up and fix ropes, prepair exit etc etc, when a lumpsum of snow/ice/whatever detached and the 2 mountaineers were very, very lucky to survive, no injuries but they lost all their equipment, and when they came back to Glenn and Glenn's wife announcing that the attempt was to be declared failed, no jump could have been done anymore, poor Glenn's wife bursted out in tears because the so long prepaired jump could not be done any more (without giving a flying fùck to the 2 poor mountaineers that came out harmless with great, great luck, poor girl, she was only thinking for herself and her sensational jump).
Nice behaviour, eh?

> I'm not too concerned with site-naming in this particular instance because it requires an incredibly technical climb to get to...
Yes indeed, nobody can go and simply jump Trango, unless you organize a mountain expedition with money, permits, whatever, nothing that can be done "by chance" or simply because "you want".
Stay safe out there
Blue Skies and Soft Walls
BASE #689 - base_689AT_NO_123_SPAMyahoo.com

[...] poor Glenn's wife bursted out in tears because the so long prepaired jump could not be done any more (without giving a flying fùck to the 2 poor mountaineers that came out harmless with great, great luck, poor girl, she was only thinking for herself and her sensational jump). Nice behaviour, eh?

Hey now, that seems grossly unfair. I'd be bummed, too, if I had put all that effort in and not managed a jump, though the climb itself would be pretty cool. That the climbers were fortunate doesn't change that -- it just makes the whole thing less sad than if they hadn't been.

that 50 second delay vid was awesome

as for trango what is the actually sheer drop hieght like from top to bottom
I don't mean sea level or any crap, just if you were to jump out say 30 metre's from the cliff (yes big jump) and just fall straight down (no tracking) how many feet would ya fall till ya hit something ?

MEA is right,

The highest vertical cliff is in Queen Maud land, Antartica. You can gett some impressions from an article in National Geographic Magazine (not sure which number, but about 3 to 4 years old issue). No way to get to the top but climb, unless you are the first person to get a heli to that area.

I checked this data with the best dutch mountaineer.

If somebody makes it up there and jumps is, take care about altitude as the jump is above solid white ice, so estimating how high / low you are would be though....

Ronald Overdijk