Praetorian

Soft links?

What is the benefit of Soft/cloth/S-links VS "traditional links" any downside? My PD reserve (being shipped to me as we speak so I haven't seen it yet) come with "rapid links" what are these? any reason to worry/consider replacement?

Good Judgment comes from experience...a lot of experience comes from bad
judgment.

Rapid links are the metal links with the barrel threads.

Short answer, Slinks are much stronger.

Long answer...well, you might want to do a search, they've been talked about a LOT.

Personally, I swear by Slinks on my main AND reserve.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Ok so I should check for info before asking questions

That's a very good rule of thumb. Just about everything has been covered, some things have been covered more then once. If you can't find the answer to your question with a search or the found threads didn't answer your question to your satisfaction, then please feel free to ask!B|

Never be afraid to ask a question, but a lot of the time you'll find that its a good question and its been asked before.;):)

Rapid(e) links are metal links. Both do an excellent job on main or reserve. Ask your local gear sales/rigger types and you'll hear differing opinions. But the only important part is they both do an excellent job.

Chris

(I prefer soft links, unless I have to change canopies to risers often... then I love Rapide links!)

Ya know as big as we are, I am usually a laggard on new, smaller stuff. I've done the homework, I've looked at them, I helped a guy at SD chnge out his link to slinks, I went out after him and watched the deployment...

But psychologically... it just don't seem right for us biguns, man. Guess I just need to suck it up and try a set.

My preference is the rapid links due to ease of use and I don't like my slider coming past the links on opening, especialy when doing camera. I don't want my slider anywhere near my camera. If I never jumped with the camera, I would most likely have the slinks, they are nice.
my pics & stuff!

My preference is the rapid links due to ease of use and I don't like my slider coming past the links on opening, especialy when doing camera. I don't want my slider anywhere near my camera. If I never jumped with the camera, I would most likely have the slinks, they are nice.

Have you tried the new PD slinks slider stops?...they do work nicely and prevent the slider from dropping down.

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

Slinks are stronger, lower bulk, easier to install (no tools, torque stripe, or lock-tite), inspect (they don't loosen up), and maintain, have the option for slider bumpers (that don't wear out as quickly as silicone bumpers) to prevent the slider from coming down past the links if desired, have been proven by use in the field to fail less often than rapid links (in fact, I haven't heard of properly or even improperly installed Slinks failing), and they do not damage the slider grommets which then damage the canopy's lines.

Slinks are better than rapide links in every way.

Derek

no tools, torque stripe, or lock-tite

ok, I'll give you the wrench part, but the rest? Whatever..... It's a personal opinion. I'm sure I'll step up to slinks someday, but am happy with the rapid links. When I go in due to a failed rapid link, be sure to put everything I said in here in the incident forum, otherwise, to each is own!

(rapid's don't break down like slinks either....)
my pics & stuff!

Yeah, but when a Slink fails, it fails on opening, it doesn't just bend open and hang onto your lines, possibly releasing your lines at 50ft on final.

That, IMHO, is one of the best reasons to use a Slink.

Slinks are like suspension line. It will wear out at some point. The steel rapide link should last longer.

In theory, but so far this hasn't proven to be the case. Too many times tightening and loosening Rapide links and eventually they wear out.

I would (and did) replace Rapide links or Slinks for each re-line of the canopy.

Derek

Yeah, but when a Slink fails, it fails on opening, it doesn't just bend open and hang onto your lines, possibly releasing your lines at 50ft on final.

That, IMHO, is one of the best reasons to use a Slink.

and one of the best reasons not to use it on your reserve.

You missed the post saying that Slinks are stronger than rapid links...

And since neither rapid or soft links for reserves aren't weared, soft links are better for reserve too!
"George just lucky i guess!"

Its not your normal slink, either, the Reserve Slinks are recommended by PD to use with their reserves, since they are many times stronger then the metal rapid links and stronger then the normal Slinks.

I use them and swear by them on my personal gear.

At last count, at least five factories were building reusable soft links: Parachutes de France, Performance Designs, Precision, Flight Concepts and Aerodyne.

Parachutes de France invented reusable soft links back in the mid-1990s. French soft links wrap twice around and have stainless steel rings on the end.

Performance Designs solved the last piece in the puzzle when they used a lark's head knot to connect their trade-marked "Slinks." PD uses a folded piece of tape for an end lump.
PD introduced two versions of Slinks. Heavy-weight Slinks - with yellow stitching - are specifically labelled for reserve and tandem use, while lighter-weight Slinks are made for main canopies.

Precision Aerodynamics was third with their "Wrap-It" link that resembles a PD Slink except that Precision uses brass rings. Precision is unique in that their Wrap It Links go three times around.

Flight Concepts solved the whole patent issue by simply tying a large ugly knot in the end of their "Cinch Links."
Hah! Hah!
Flight Concepts is unique in that they are the only factory that has not certified their links for reserve use, though I did encourage them to include Cinch Links in their current program to certify a new reserve canopy that will hit the market this summer. We'll see ...

Finally, Aerodyne introduced their version which contains the best of both worlds. From a distance Aerodyne links resemble P.deF. links, but they use a lark's head knot like the rest of the manufacturers.

To date we have only heard of one failed Slink and that was caused by a rough edge on a slider grommet.
Doo!
We have also heard of one accident caused by a steering line catching on the end tab of a Slink, but that was caused by an odd-ball method of stowing excess steering line ...

The bottom line is that reusable soft links are stronger than steel, easier to install, but only last as long as a set of lines.