Zeemax

reserve flying...

Ok, this may just sound like a stupid question, but it's something i was thinking the other day.

Other than just popping silver is there an easy way i can fly MY reserve, not just a similar one?

I know it sound a bit anal, but i want to check how it flys, make sure the toggles are in the right place etc..

This stems from my first cutaway where the toggles were no where near in the right place (it was rental gear) and so the flare was pathetic. I know i could have wrapped the toggles, but it was the last thing on my mind at the time.

Its just i want to fly it under conditions i'm happy with, rather than end up under a canopy that i'm not comfortable with at a low atlitude, with not many options.

Obviously i dont want to just grab silver as i like to have a back up if it goes wrong.. am i making sense?

anyone got any ideas? is this normal?
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

Well you could ask PD for a demo PD160-R, but that's not your canopy.
If you want to test your own reserve. the best way is to pack it as a main in some borowed rig. Remove his main from the risers, and replace his main with your reserve. I don't know about the links though. Reserve's soft links are bigger (stronger) than normal soft links so which one to choose. Consult about that with some local rigger. You can't go wrong with reserve soft links that are stronger (or can you?)
The only problem is the D-bag.
D-bags for main canopies are attached to the canopy, freebags are not. So the only option to try your reserve is to pack it in some D-bag, that you are willing to lose, because it can't be attached to your reserve.
After you or rigger sets up everything (lines, toggles, d-bag,...something i missed) pro pack it, close the container and off you go.

Take everything here with a grain of salt... don't just go and do what i said, talk to local rigger! ;)

I'm yet to try my reserve this way, but i'm afraid because it's so small :P
"George just lucky i guess!"

You can organise a demo of the same model of canopy as your reserve, thats probably the best way. I've done this and its a cool learning tool. Afterall, we rely on a demo to see how our main will fly before jumping our actual canopy - why not for our reserve?

I personally wouldnt want to fly my actual reserve as the only have a limited longevity. If you jump it you instantly cut a lot of the resale value and take a chunk out of its life span.

As for where the toggles are etc, sit through its next re-pack with your rigger if they'll let you.

This is definately no stupid question.

I did this with the last 2 reserves I bought. It's a good way to avoid surprises and to get an idea about the handling of YOUR reserve.

Take your reserve out and connect it to other risers.
Borrow a rig, and put your reserve in as main.
If your reserve has a ring for bridle attachment, you can mount the main bridle as usual.

If the reserve has no ring at the center cell, take a static line deployment bag and pack the rig as static line.

Contact your rigger if you should not be firm with any of the above issues, especially about the routing of the static line (if applicable).

Make a static line jump or a clear and pull.
If you really want to check out the stall point and the general performance you should go up to at least 5000 feet.

Put your reserve back in your container. In case you should need it later, it's one unknown player less.

Pull before we do;)

Kai

Absolutely true - and you can mention that fact when selling and it would surely carry weight.

Any jump still counts as a cross on your repack card though.... 20 of those and you have to send it back to the manufacturer (re PD rules anyway) so even a sub terminal jump has an effect on re-sale.

No your not in this country - thats a good point. The rules changed about 5 years back after an incident. I actually have the full case on it. The DZ got sued by someone after he hit under a piece of crap reserve that was used as a tandem main for hundreds of jumps. He got about a milion for his injuries back in 98 I think. It was a fair decision too if you ask me - his body was snafued and the DZ were well out of line.

I don't know if that applies to canopies that are manufactured as "reserves" and used once for test purposes though - that may be an exclusion to the general rule. It may be that the rule is worded to exclude mains - ie you cant just stick a sabre in there.

Ive read about the RAven reserves that the new owner was adviced to take a subterminal jump as a main to test if it has a "built-in" turn.

seriousness off

And if not you can return them the reserve and they'll build in a turn for you.

sorry couldn't resist :D
"George just lucky i guess!"

talk to your s&ta, gain access to a belly mount reserve and learn how to use it. seeems to be the procedure for intentional cutaways.

R.E. 'would cutaway reserve with built in turn if it was a main': WHAT? wow. i am pretty sure i wouldnt trade a canopy thats out but flyin crooked for a canopy thats not out yet. sure would feel stupid, for a few seconds anyway, if the reserve malfunctioned.
namaste, motherfucker.

Actually, once its a main more then it should always remain a main. Technically if you can find a rigger that will recertify its airworthyness you can put 5000 jumps on a Raven as a main then repack it as a reserve. The inspection and certification will get you there since no rigger I know will certify something with more then 20 or 30 rides on it with out having factory sign off.

You can always move a Raven from a reserve to a main, its moving it back again thats much harder.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

If you just want to familiarize yourself with how 7-cell, rectangular canopies fly, borrow a similar-sized Triathlon and put a few jumps on it.

Second option, borrow a special "demo" PD160 from Performance Designs and put a few jumps on it.

Third option: ask your local rigger to attach your reserve to a set of main risers and jump it. One familiarization jump will not significantly degrade an F-111 canopy and any knowledgeable second owner will understand. You will not notice any difference in openings until at least 70 jumps and we used to put about 700 jumps on F-111 mains because we got tired of the tired openings and tired landings.
Heck, some reserve manufacturers encourage one or two familiarization jumps.

Relax, it is easy to install reserve Slinks on modern main risers. The only limitation with reserve Slinks is that they are difficult to install with Slink Hats, but I always thought Slink Hats were silly to begin with!