kleggo

ok, who's throwing chickens off the bridge ?

the most recent NY tmes book review ( 20 feb 2005) discusses the book
NATURE NOIR, A PARK RANGERS PATROL IN THE SIERRA.
The ranger is described as working in a river valley park in northern california, one that is now supposed to be under water do to dam development.

one of the quotes is, " on his patrol smith encounters the many ways that people enjoy themselves... and also those that commit suicide, parachute from a bridge, toss a parachute wearing chicken from a bridge and throw rocks at the samaritans hundreds of feet below - who try to untangle the hapless chicken from said parachute".

what's up with that?

be safe

kleggo

This is very similar to a chicken assist. Instead of a pilot chute, I use a live chicken for sub 200 FF. When you through them into the air, they will fly for a short time. Hitch the bridle around each leg and this works just as well as a PCA. Realing in the chicken after landing is almost as much fun as the jump! Just make sure you dont use a lazy chicken.
The chickens usualy last 3 to 4 jumps (more if you feed them).
Safe Jumps
Dont count your chickens before they SPLAT!
Nate

Hitch the bridle around each leg and this works just as well as a PCA.

Aah, the Primary Chicken Assist. How about SL's, what is the breaking strain of a chicken?

Chicken SL.- Hitch bridle to one leg of the chicken. Let the chicken roost on the exit point. Then, once you leave, the chicken (content with roosting) will try to hang on with the other leg untill the chicken is yanked off at line stretch. Depending on the strength of the chicken, pull force is 40 to 50 lbs. Plenty for a Static Chicken Assist (SCA).

NOTE: If you cant get your hands on a chicken, 8 chicks bound tegether is equal to a 36'' PC.

For longer delays, I affix a one-inch wooden dowel rod horizontally across the bottom flap. You affix the bridle to the chickens legs, then let the chicken perch on the dowel rod. Upon exit the chicken is content to perch on the roost in my burble until I reach back and brush him off his perch with one arm. This is commonly known as the BOC (Brush Off Chicken) deployment.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I was wondering if someone could recommend me a special throwing technic for go and throws... Or a way to start the wings flapping for some extra drag.

thanks in advance!

Ferry

I've never seen chickens thrown off of a bridge, but I have seen paraplegics (with huge balls) thrown off. ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

... Or a way to start the wings flapping for some extra drag.

I've heard a good, swift, poke to the a$$ with a Turkey baster gets their wings going pretty quick. Although that might be hard to do once you've already pitched.

I was wondering if someone could recommend me a special throwing technic for go and throws... Or a way to start the wings flapping for some extra drag.

thanks in advance!

For extra drag,, we have second-hand information that administering certain illegal stimulants to a chicken can dramatically improve it's drag capabilities. For example a 24"-wingspan chicken can generate the drag of a chicken with a 40" wingspan. There are caveats:
- The drugs should be administered within 15 minutes of exit.
- Once juiced, the chicken will not stay on a perch, so techniques such as BOC cannot be utilized.
- This puts such stress on the chicken, that it should be replaced (or barbecued) after each jump.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

- This puts such stress on the chicken, that it should be replaced (or barbecued) after each jump.

If you butcher the chicken soon after landing, would the chemicals still be in the bird's system, to be distributed to barbecue eaters?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

This is very similar to a chicken assist. Instead of a pilot chute, I use a live chicken for sub 200 FF. When you through them into the air, they will fly for a short time. Hitch the bridle around each leg and this works just as well as a PCA. Realing in the chicken after landing is almost as much fun as the jump! Just make sure you dont use a lazy chicken.
The chickens usualy last 3 to 4 jumps (more if you feed them).

I will do the same to you when i meet you and enjoy it even more than you did ;)

Benjamín

only for 1 or 2 jumps or else it would be crime, i hope your not lazyB|

Benjamín

I will do the same to you when i meet you and enjoy it even more than you did ;)

I have already been there on more than one occation! I was attached to Smiley's bridle from 235'! Check out Thread the Needle II. The vid is in there. The new Needle kicks a$$. Much better than the first one. The inverted BASE repel is SICK!

Alana,
It is true. I use chickens to BASE jump. Understand that it is for low stuff ONLY. The cage of chickens is a bich to get up the ladder.
Did you get your copy of the Needle? There a couple Nut Sac Assists in there.

Rock out the Poop Spoon!
nate

oh la la! there's a new thread the needle dvd out??? how can i get a copy of that?? i need a sweet BASE video to watch! you always make the best ones! oh, and the poop spoon is definately rockin out!

hey, did you see that new episode of recess?

Just to all those people that think safety nate is kidding, he is not. He is a sick person. Safety Nate has a long history of animal cruelty and has been before court due to the matter on several occasions. Don't ever let him around your animals (especially chickens). He once constructed a harness to put on his cat equipped with a 48 on it just to throw the cat off of the third story. Just to see "if it would work" and also with blatent disregard for the animals safety. Another time at the DZ, there was an abandoned group of kittens that he repeatedly ran over with the four wheeler, again, just for fun.

If you butcher the chicken soon after landing, would the chemicals still be in the bird's system, to be distributed to barbecue eaters?

Yes, its a very happy by-product of this deployment method.

Safety note: heavier jumpers should consider using Turkeys.
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

For anyone who does wingsuit BASE, turkeys can often cause premature deployments as they can't balance well on your back in the slipstream.

Instead, try using a flying squirrel or a sugar glider as a PC. Both are quite happy living in a leg pouch if you keep them supplied with nuts.

For static line jumps I have found that using a cornish hen and a whole tube of shoe goo works great. As an added bonus at the end of the jump the bird is already plucked on one side. They sell tiny bottle of Tabasco and BBQ sauce to keep in your saddle/stash bags.

Don't ever let him around your animals (especially chickens)

He's a chickenfucker.

Alive or KFC, he has no preference.