CanuckInUSA

Ground Launching

I wonder who will be the first to ground launch and FLY INTO all four objects.

I've already got my "E" then. Oh wait I flew into that hillside with a paraglider, damn! Does that still count?:P:S

B - I already flew into a barn with my paraglider
A - does a lamp post count as an A ??
S - still looking for the span to fly into...
E - Also got hillsides

Almost got my "Ground Launch Into" BASE number :D:D

All these were ground launched.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

wasn't funny at all :$:$
when your canopy ends on top of the lamp post and the post just rips through and at the end you have your paraglider lying flat on the ground with a hole and a lamp post sticking out, it's not funny at all...

:D:D:DBWAAAAAHHHH

edited to add : missing my S, and also never flew into skilift (these chairs you know, dunno how you call them in english) cables. A couple of friends have though... Can they be considered as Spans ?? Ii know where to get my S then...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I don't believe launching BASE canopies will give us the performance needed what with BASE canopies being huge and having a different design not condusive to gliding great distances.

ya try to launch a base canopy on top of a mountain....you will get thrown off the back of the mountain. :D:D:D

Hey Russel,
Have you tried a DHV2 or higher rating. I had a 2 and it was very responsive and faster. Next step is to fly a higher wing loading just like skydiving. You might be impressed with it!
I attached a photo of the owner from Gradient flying a prototype Comp wing. He was scream'n under that thing!

Jason,
I have been told by a few Paraglider pilots that paragliding was also not allowed in NPs. Let me know if I'm wrong and I'll be at Yo.... ASAP!
I dont get how they can allow Hang Gliders, but not Paragliders. What happens if a HG pilot has to deploy his reserve parachute? Do they arrest them after landing?
One pilot/jumper said its to close to BASE so its not allowed...

Any input??

Josh Morell
www.imagethisphoto.com

It's paragliding for speed junkies. I do a lot of paragliding myself and have always complained about how slow our wings fly. Now this looks like fun. Maybe I'll try my Sabre 107 off our little training hill we have at our local flying site. ;) Do Sabre's have a decent enough glide ratio to ground launch?

Certain people involved in the ground launched parachute world are currently talking to the NPS about flying in specific NP's. We're doing the same thing with BASE - sending letters, talking to superintendents with jumpable NP's.

As for deploying your round ballistic parachute from a hang glider, that would be considered an "emergency", which is an exception to the aerial delivery rule.

Jason, I have been told by a few Paraglider pilots that paragliding was also not allowed in NPs. Let me know if I'm wrong and I'll be at Yo.... ASAP!

(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

http://www.groundlaunchsystems.com

Allright, i understand the idea of GL, but still find it very funny that people decided to give paragliding with smaller faster canopies a different name... i imagine that skydiving with Velocity isn't skydiving anymore. Now it is Aircraft Launching ? ;)

bsbd!

Yuri.

There's a whole lot of missing the point going on right now.

It's a shame more BASE jumpers don't go to the film festival or they'd begin to understand how all aspects of parachuting are evolving and remerging.

Slaton is just as, if not more hard core than most BASE jumpers I know, and he is fully on to something big with his ground launching school.

I'm sure one main reason why a lot of us BASE jump is for the purity of the sport. You, the elements, and a cloth wing. With ground launching. You kite the canopy and step off into the unknown. My experience with my VX-84 BASE jump at B-day back in the day amazed me with the visuals of flying a small, fast, canopy with trees whizzing past my periphials.

Just as many BASE jumpers have given up skydiving (often to the detriment of their body flight skills, in my opinion) so to we might find find BASE jumpers switching to ground launching.

YOU HAVE GOT TO SEE SLATONS SHOTS. You'll never refer to ground launching as regression ever again.

but still find it very funny that people decided to give paragliding with smaller faster canopies a different name

It was given a different name because it is a different sport. Yes there are similarities, but it is still very different (especially the gear, but also launching, flying and landing). It's like comparing skydiving and BASE.

I'm a skier and I see Ground Launching as a possible extension of that sport as well when you're flying down a mountainside. It's only a few notches turned higher in the adrenaline rush realm. B|

Ground Launching Rocks!!!

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

How would a Raven 3 249 sq ft be for ground launching? Will an F-111 canopy not be as good as a ZP canopy? It would be loaded at 0.86 to 1. The canopy is pretty used, 800 or so jumps on it. I am just curious about this.

Thanks for the info.

Clint D-24352

As for deploying your round ballistic parachute from a hang glider, that would be considered an "emergency", which is an exception to the aerial delivery rule.

Wouldnt deploying a base canopy also be considered as an "emergency" cause if we dont deploy it we die =)

Life is Great. Even Greater what we do with it.

That exact argument has been tried in a BASE trail. It didn't work. Voluntary decisions to jump, apparently, don't count as "emergencies" that fall under the exemption to the rule.

Hi

I managed to foot launch my Canopy from Rhosshili and soar for about 15 minutes in late February 1981. A photo of my launch was published in the UK's Wings! Magazine in April 1981. The first link gives a bit of history.

http://www.homeusers.prestel.co.uk/midflight/RhossiliSTORY.htm

and

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A902549

I'm a skier and I see Ground Launching as a possible extension of that sport as well when you're flying down a mountainside. It's only a few notches turned higher in the adrenaline rush realm. B|

I can't remember if it was ground launched or not, but there's a little bit on one of the Soul Flyers DVDs (I think it was them) with a guy on skis and someone under canopy racing each other down some sand dunes. The guy under canopy is trailing his toes in the sand GL style... very very pretty.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?