vid666

SL question

We are updating our website right now, and there is an excellent piece in the Tech News about a new bridle extension.

Does Apex have a web site yet? (Or are you talking about www.basicresearch.com?)
Coreece: "You sound like some skinheads I know, but your prejudice is with Christians, not niggers..."

I wrote up a "how to static line" bit a while ago. It's on another computer, but I'll see if I can find it and post it this afternoon.

Here it is. Note that this is a couple years old, and isn't quite how I'd do it now. For example, I really like the "two loops" (one tight, one loose) method Karen described, above, and it's not even mentioned here.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

This was a question that I was asked via PM... I'm not putting the name until the person gives me the permission to... Awesome question though :)

Just curious. I looked at the photo you posted about SL's. You show a connector link at the end of the bridle and that's what you attach the SL to. That means after opening you're flying around with a connector link at the same place your PC is attached right? Is there any negative effects as far as that extra weight at the end there? Some people had mentioned things about the extra weight on the PC was bad. Although now that I think about it that was when they were taling about FF things not SL. Anyway, any bad effects with that connector link?

This was my reply back:

Hey,

I know in the picture the connector links look larger than they really are. The 250lb connector link is quite small actually. The connector links probably only weigh a couple of ounces and with using a 48” PC (or 45” PC), I'm sure the connector link weight shouldn’t be a problem. Not to mention, it’s a very clean way to handle your break cord. Furthermore, I have always been taught that nylon on nylon burns, so I just figured that break cord (cotton) directly on the bridle wouldn’t be good either. So that’s how I came up with the connector link idea…. This is also the way my friend does it as well and he has a lot of SL experience. In fact, that’s probably where I got the idea. I just don’t remember if he uses two connector links or just the one on the Bridle. Again, I like how two connector links work together to keep the surface against the break cord clean and consistent…

Another note… Obviously be careful how you hook up the connector link to your bridle… Make sure it’s secure and that the pull force is directly on the bridle and the connector link won’t break free from the bridle. Does that make sense???

Very good question though… We should post these two messages on the forum so that others can give their input… Do you mind if we post it???

I hope my explanation makes sense :)…

SBCmac (Michael)

:)
SBCmac

In addition to what I posted... The PC is only attached for back up reasons anyway. That's another reason why the small 250lb connector link shouldn't be a problem...

Just thought I'd throw that out there too :)
SBCmac

try this...
just lark's head the static line to your anchor point.
You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone.

We PM'd and I said it was cool to post my question and name. Oh well...It was MEEEE!:D

Thanks anyway Tom.

base704,

Thanks for the pic…

I have a question that is very similar to the question that pBASEtobe asked me…

First, my own thoughts on your setup… I like your setup for high profile objects because all you leave behind is the static line, and you’re probably only going to use the static line once. And I also larks-head my static line to the anchor point, at exit point. But let’s say for objects that you jump continuously, does having the break cord directly on the static line weaken the static line? Or, do you just monitor its wear and tear like you do the rest of your equipment? And as far as the break cord goes, does having the static line directly on the break cord increase the risk of premature release?

I ask the above questions because here is the reasoning behind my setup… I use two connector links for two reasons… The first being, I like the idea of having the surfaces on both sides of the break cord consistent, round and smooth surface. The second reason being, when doing jumps back to back on a low profile object, all I need to do to hook up my second rig is to keep pre-tied break cord around. So it's as simple as inserting the pre-tied break cord between the two connector links at exit point, instead of having to tie the break cord to the static line that is already at exit point from the previous jump.

base704 - Again thanks for your input and the picture you posted…

SBCmac

SBCmac...

First off: thanx..although I'm only sharing what I was taught.

The idea behind this set-up is the fact that it's disposable. The connector link goes with you, so it can be, and is re-used, while the static line itself is (in most cases) a one shot deal. I don't get too concerned about recovering the s/l, as it is nothing more than "used" suspension line saved from a friends Mojo when he had it re-lined. The amount of line salvaged from one canopy is enough for a fuck-load of s/l jumps, and is quite cost-efficient. I keep a handful of pre-made static lines in my carry on "fag-bag"( fanny pack?), and also keep a fair amount of extra line in said bag in case I need to lengthen the s/l for any reason (distant anchor points). In this case I just make another "loop" out of suspension line, and larks head it to a pre-made s/l and, in turn larks head it to the object.
Feel free to insert your favorite disclaimer here, as I (like most people) consider myself a test jumper on every jump.
Hope this answers your questions. If not, feel free to flame me/ask me to clarify...

TJ
base704
ncbase4

You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone.

Hope this answers your questions. If not, feel free to flame me/ask me to clarify...

Why would I flame you, you're providing awesome input!!! So again, thanks for your input B|...

SBCmac (Michael)

You always risk some PC damage.

As well as damage to the bridle attachment point on your canopy. I'm especially happy to have a multi on SL jumps.

The Basic Research website is truly updated. It has quite a few new things there.

Apex BASE does not have a website yet. The actual DATE is Jan 1, I believe, so we're working to have everything in place for the switch then.

I'm practicing now with answering the phone. You'd be surprised how deeply ingrained something can become after 40 hours a week, 52 weeks a year, for three years....

K

I like your setup for high profile objects because all you leave behind is the static line, and you’re probably only going to use the static line once.

which i dont like about 704´s setup... i do like to leave an exit point whith as less or nil evidence at ALL.Thats why i use the carry on SL the only thing i leave at sight is the broken breakcord and the 2 rubberbands i use(one on the tailgate and one on the bridel),the SL is secured to my bridel and i only loose it in case i get a hangup(of the SL)which then will be "cuttedeaway" be the breakcord i have cecured it whith.. i never had a hang up and therefore never lost my SL...

Do a search here on the carry on SL and you will find more info on this setup.

PS.ALWAYS have minimum a 45´pc as a backup and then i also use 2 loops of breakcord each time i jump(the one on my SL which never breaked yet wont need to be replaced..)..

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

This is an old thread but I would like to post a pic of my SL set up.
Memento Audere Semper

your setup is ok for objects were you can go back and get the items(the carabiner and 6mm rope),if not your leaving more than footprints;)

I still think the carry on SL is one of the best inventions so farB|(keeping it low price you´ll like it aswell:)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

You're right I should have been more specific:$

Here is my "carry on" set up.
Memento Audere Semper

nice one BUT,please considder to use a peice of breakcord between the bridel and your carry onsl,that way you can "cut away" your setup incase it hangs up some were.
You´ll only need 1 peice if you put on a conectorlink or carabin at the bridel,thatway you dont need to cut the breakcord after a jump:P

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I see your point.

I'd rather use two pieces of breakcord at the bridle attachment point so it won't break first.
Memento Audere Semper

thats why you should make the sling as an Y one of the legs should be shorter than the other leg,tie your single breackcord there and 2 on the one thats meant to break

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Hey 903, I just love your carry-on S/L set-up but I can see one problem with it.

You have the load travelling AROUND the anchor point and back down the "off" side where the break-cord is. This is essentially a pulley setup giving a mechanical advantage that HALVES the load on the break-cord. That means you need 160lb of pull to apply 80lbs of force to the break-cord. This force required would increase even more if the anchor point isn't smooth allowing free travel of the line.

A simple solution would be the addition of a break cord on the "pull" side in the series. This would still provide the "carry-on" effect no matter which cord breaks 1st - and I think you'd find that this added cord WOULD be the one to break 1st.

Just my 0.02

PS - I LOVE electrical tape :)
"Altitude is birthright to any individual who seeks it"

That means you need 160lb of pull to apply 80lbs of force to the break-cord. This force required would increase even more if the anchor point isn't smooth allowing free travel of the line.

I hate to be the one to 'break' this to you, but:

this setup will only add the force generated by the friction of pulling around the anchor point to the force required to break the cord

even with a stock standard textbook SL setup, you will need 160lb of force on the bridle to break the 80lb break-cord

if you are sensible about picking a suitable anchor point for nicknitro's setup, I couldn't see it adding too much to the 160lb force required

but what do I know? I only had two physics courses in my engineering degree.... :P

cheers
sam

soon to be gone

OK guys take a look at this pic.

Line 1 and 2 do not slide on anything and they are connected to the bridle extention via one breakcord loop; there is no pully action!

Line 3 is there only if either 1 or 2 gets trapped some where so to avoid damage to the canopy or worse. If everything goes OK line 3 stays connected to the bridle and pulls 2 around and away from the attachment point after the cord has broken.

I do not see how 160 LB are needed to break the cord.
Memento Audere Semper

I hate to be the one to 'break' this to you...

I ought to ban you for a pun that bad. :P

(But you're going to give him a break, just this once.)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.