MagicLou

Infinty Questions

I'm looking at my first rig and it looks like it will be an Infinity.

Being a Newbie, I have a few questions.

Risers - Type 17 (Narrow) or Type 8 (Wide)?

3 Rings - Standard or Mini?

Backpack and Legstrap Parts - Parapac or Cordura?

I really appreciate any feedback . Thanks
Lou

1st rig?

I'd suggest Cordua. Parapac looks good, but its not nearly as tough as Cordura.

3-rings. Well, mini-rings look good, but are at a mechanical disadvantage to standard sized rings.

Risers. the only real advantage to narrow risers (besides they look good) is that it makes it easy to pull your slider behind your head. The major disadvantage is having your slider cover your toggles or possibly cause a mal as it did in the case of a DZ.commer and friend last year.[:/]
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I find Type 17 risers easier for me to riser maneuvers both front and rear as they are easier to grab. I dont like type 8's just for that reason.

Hadn't really thought about that...I've never had a problem "man handling" type 8's front or rear. I guess having big hands helps with that.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Hadn't really thought about that...I've never had a problem "man handling" type 8's front or rear. I guess having big hands helps with that.

I'm a big boy in everything but my hands....I can make type 8 work...but it's just so much easier with 17's...just one more thing for this person to think about that's all.

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

Lou,

I would recommend cordura for your backpad and legstraps. Most people who order para-pak have had it before or do alot of RW. It comes down to personal preference. Try on a few rigs with both and see what you like better. As far as durability is concerned, I wouldn't base your decision on it. These are two places on the rig that don't get alot of wear and tear. Lets say I have never seen a rig come back because the parapak has not held up well. it will last as long as your rig.

Type-17 with mini rings is the way to go for most people. I would say if your of average height weight go with the 17-mini's. You might want to sell this rig in a few seasons and get another, having what most people want might help this hold it's value longer.

Congrads on your soon to be new rig.

I talked to a lot of people, read alot of reviews, like here @ DZ.com, and did more research on the web.

Personal reccomendations carry alot of weight (Like Lisa's, I don't know her personally, but from being here for a while she is well respected and knows her gear).

Delivery times and lastly (literally) price.

It was down to the Infinity and a G4.1.
Lou

I was wondering how long it would take someone call me on that one. I'd offer beer to anyone with "significant" feedback to my query, but am afraid HHs server wouldn't handle the instataneous # of hits it would get. :o
Lou

Risers and 3-rings are an interesting argument...

Here's the basic scoop: Type-8's with large rings are the safest setup out there. They have the best mechanical advantage, the least chance of breaking, etc.

BUT. For a pretty long time now, Type-17 risers with mini rings have been the "standard" for a lot of people. See, everything that we build in this sport is overbuilt. Because of that, you can often get away with not using the "beefiest" stuff.

New Type-17 risers are called "Super" mini risers. This is because they are reinforced at the grommet (the only real threat area for breakage). In fact, I'm not aware of anywhere that you can get non-super mini risers any more.

So, we've greatly reduced the possibility of riser breakage...what's next?

The 3-ring assembly is basically a series of levers that work to increase mechanical advantage on the loop that holds your ring assembly closed. Larger rings mean that you have longer lever arms...which means more mechanical advantage and less pressure on the cable. This all means that it's easier to cutaway. Now we're talking about a difference of about 4-8 lbs or so on mini rings vs. large rings. If you do a search on this site you'll get the exact numbers and difference between mini rings and large rings.

So, while the large rings are, strictly speaking, "better", mini rings treat you just fine as well.

The last area is the bling-bling. Stainless Steel. Your 3-ring assembly is partially based off friction. The more friction (between the metal rings and the webbing) the more force needed to "un-lock" them. So, a bit more friction is "better" than less friction. With this in mind, why on earth would you want SS rings?? You're actually reducing the effectiveness of your ring system by having SS rings in the mix. Of course, many, many people like the bling-bling, so it's become a (costly) popular option. BUT, once again, the differences between Cadmium plated hardware and Stainless Steel hardware is relatively small...and most likely will never play into the "safety" equation for you...

What does all this junk mean? The safest set-up you can get is Type-8 risers with large, Cadmium, rings. Are there people dying while using Type-17, mini, SS, set-ups? No...at least not because of the riser set-up. The long and the short of it is that 99.99999% of the time, it just doesn't matter...it's up to you, jump what you like.

All things being even (and I hate to say this because it goes against everything I stand for) recent history has shown that you don't really need to go with Type-8 risers to be safe. It's been proven "ok" not to have the safest riser configuration available. :S

A real world advantage to Type-17, mini's? Better re-sale value.

So there it is. For what it's worth...

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

When I went to Velocity Sports to give them my order details, the guy there helping me out (sorry pal, forgot your name; great guy) said a key difference between para-pak and cordura for the backpad is whether I wanted it to slide all around real smooth (para-pak) or be rather firmly anchored to me (cordura). My personal preference at my current experience/comfort level is to have the rig glued to my back, so I did cordura. Having a rig slide smoothly around sounds comfortable in that "so comfy you freak out three times by pull altitude because you think you forgot your rig" way. :)
The dealer I went through for my rig, Ralph Hatley, suggested the narrower risers and mini-rings because the popularity and thus eventual resalability would be higher, and the mechanical advantage inferiority of the mini rings* was not that much.

* I should note that Infinity's mini rings are still pretty good-sized, and I expect to be quite happy with their cutaway force (knock on wood). In fact, all the student gear I used had these so-called "mini" rings. I call them "medium rings." :)
And I believe the type 17 risers are strong enough because I have faith in the test results I saw.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

3-rings. Well, mini-rings look good, but are at a mechanical disadvantage to standard sized rings.

The mechanical disadvantage is to small as to be a non-issue, as long as the 3-ring geometry is all good. If it was really an issue, mini rings wouldn't be nearly as popular as they are.

I'm looking at my first rig and it looks like it will be an Infinity.

Being a Newbie, I have a few questions.

I really appreciate any feedback . Thanks

Risers: What size are your canopies going to be?

3 Rings: Depends on your risers.

Backpad and Legstraps: I recommend Parapak for these parts. Cordura is my #1 pick for the rig. But Backpad and Legstraps are the parts that sit on your body. If you ever do "no-suiters" you'll end up with rug burn. Also with the more "slipery" fabric up against your body, it is easier and more comforatable to position your leg straps. I am REALLY surprized that so many people have recommended cordura here. I have sold many, many rigs and so far, I am batting 1000 with this option.

There you go. My opinion. Worth what you paid for it!;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

I have an Infinity & love it. Especially the extra wide leg straps (need to specify); VERY comfortable under canopy.

IIRC, the double-wide leg straps are a free option on the Infinity. (Not sure if this changed with the new year.)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Now we're talking about a difference of about 4-8 lbs or so on mini rings vs. large rings.

Here is the info: http://relativeworkshop.com/support/tech_pullforce.html

You're actually reducing the effectiveness of your ring system by having SS rings in the mix.

By about 5%, according to Bill Booth. Check this post (whole thread is worth reading, too): http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=126465#126465

:)

Get the double wide leg straps. They are super comfy under canopy.

Get the Type 17's they will be better for resale.

May as well get the mini rings to go with the Type 17's

I would get parapac for the back pad and the inside of the leg straps. It isn't as hard on the jumpsuit as Cordura. Cordura is great on the rest of the rig.
Dom

I love my Infinity. Its one of the largest ones they made;)

I got the extra wide leg straps and they are so nice when you do cross country jumps or jump in something less than a full jump suit or heavy jeans. ( I have to agree with Gravity Girl here but for different reasons:P ) From previous experience with hard openings when I was jumping before I wanted to make sure I had as much strength in the rig as I possibly could. We doubled up the leg straps.... and I got the Type 8 risers because I am old school and fairly good sized and wanted the extra strength. I have not had but a couple of harder openings so I think the Type 17 risers would be just fine. I have not had the ultra slammer openings I used to have on my old Parafoil in days long goneB|. Oh and the new risers are realllly cool.. I again got the type 8 and the front riser dive loops are realllly nice and big to spread out the force needed to pull em down without cutting into my hands as the older smaller ones did. The velcroless toggle setup looks really good too...now if my new Samurai would get here...waaaaaahhhh

Type 17 mini's Unless you're heavy. Even then, It's hard to say not to get them.

Chest strap, I prefer type 8 as well.

Mini Rings unless you get type 8.

Stainless if you can afford it because it just looks nice. Relative workshop offers stainless so expect that it's ok to use stainless if you want to.

Back pad and leg pads... definately parapac. Double wide is a very nice option.

The rest should be Cordura.

The Infinity is a great rig so good luck!
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Mini Rings unless you get type 8.

I agree. Although it is possible to have mini rings and Type 8 risers, this combination is not recommended. In the event of horseshoe malufinction, if your PC is still in pouch and you cutaway, the *wider* Type 8 webbing will not release so easily from 'narrow' mini harness ring, when exposed to relative wind. Something like that was shown in Time Out commercial in the 'Breakaway' video (it is also on 'Ground Rush' tape). Billy Weber cuts away a horseshoe and ...nothing. He had to hit the risers with his hands several times in order to release them from harness rings :o. Same could probably happen with other low drag malufunctions, like streamer...

The rest should be Cordura.

Gotta just love those "matter of fact" opinions.

Personally I have never ordered a rig out of Cordura. It is my preference to use parapac. I don't care for Cordura for several reasons.
I also wish my Wngs had leg staps that were not so wide(it's just not the best option for everyone) It requires an extra step to clear every thing out of the way for me. I do not have this problem as much on rigs with narrower leg strap pads. This of course is not a problem for everyone.

Good luck with your rig. Just try to find your own preference among all the advice from people who think they know what is best for you
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.