towerrat

Why so damn expensive?

I don't necesarily know if I want to make five or ten jumps.

Again, if you're not sure, I would strongly recommend attending Bridge Day.

As far as why FJCs cost so much, aside from what other folks have said, I'd point out that all but Johnny's courses are offered by manufacturers. So the time they're spending teaching you is time spent away from making rigs. Not to mention travel, lodging, meals, supplying student rigs. They have to make a living too.

Also, there is a SUBSTANTIAL exposure to legal liability that a person assumes when they take on a student... waiver or no waiver.

I honestly think that the FJCs are very REASONABLY priced taking everything into consideration.

You don't get something for nothing. And like Avery notes, I've blown a substantial amount of money in this "free" sport. Rigs, travel, safety equipment, etc.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

I never actually saw the joke there until it was pointed out. ;)

It's an honour to have a post replied to by you too. :)

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning

lol - that is funny
How much is a last moment opening worth?
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

whoa holmes,
I asked a simple question, and a legitimate one. I don't need you jumping my shit just so you can sound cool to your online buddies. Answer the question like a human or shut the fuck up.
I'll tell what, I've seen a lot of attitude from this section of this site. You guys are no cooler than anyone else.
GET OVER YOURSELF!

You obviously dont know me then............

IF my style of writting offends you, then I am so sorry......... but it does not get away from what I was saying...... No one knows if BASE is for them when they start out, its impossible to know how you will react to BASE, alot of people have sacrificed alot to get into the sport "safely"........ too many people are heard to say "I want to....." but never make the effort or expect it on a fucking plate for them.........

I hope this is a more pleasing read for you...

Get over myself? huh! I am sat recovering from a fucking injury I certainly dont need you to try and humble me! :|

Fucks sake...........

Before you ask if paying a bunch of $$$ for a FJC is too much? You need to ask yourself if BASE jumping is something you want to do, period. BASE jumping is not like skydiving and BASE jumping is not safe. But it sure can be as dangerous as you want to make it. :o

It sounds like you need to attend a Bridge Day event and hopefully get a jump or two in. BASE jumping is a blast, but it's dangerous. The decision to make a BASE jump is not one to be taken lightly. And the decision to get into BASE requires even more thought and for certain dedication towards learning. If BASE is something you want to do, you'll find a way to do it.

I recently took one of those FJCs and I am happy with the instruction that I received. Was it perfect? No ... but it was an introduction to the sport and so far (knock on wood) with the information the instructors taught me and the info I've personally researched, I've managed to make a bunch of jumps since my FJC and have improved my skill and experience in the sport immensly. But to me the key was the fact that I had certain BASE jumping goals before I even made my first jump. And part of those goals were to spend time jumping the same very legal span that many of the FJCs will take you. You see every day is Bridge Day for the fine folks who get to jump in Idaho. But if Idaho is too far ... just know that it takes myself and my friends 10 hours each way to drive there from where we live. So to me, I didn't just sink $1200 on a FJC, I made a financial commitment towards gear, gas, food, lodging and let's not forget to include some money for partying on not only the past trips I have made, but also the trips to come.

BASE jumping is not safe, nor is it cheap.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

So why does it cost $1200 to make 1 stinkin' jump.

Lots of good replies, but want to add this:

How much is your life worth dude....?

I think the whole cost thing boils down to this (other then the very pertinent market economy comment further up this thread): personal risk.

With skydiving there are regulatory bodies that have utilised the past 50 years of skydiving experience (OK, perhaps a small pinch of salt here) to come with programmes of instruction and BSRs in order to make the jumping as safe as possible. The limits laid down in the BSRs (wind speed / opening altitude / etc / etc / etc) take away much of the responsibility for your safety from the instructor (note: I am comparing skydiving instruction with BASE instruction here - obviously skydiving instructors still carry a LOT of responsibility).

When you go and do a BASE course, the instructors are pretty much responsible for you - other then the obvious "this is your choice and your decision" stuff of course - and take it on themselves to make all the right judgements about your safety and ability, usually based on no previous knowledge of your ability, in a very unforgiving environment.

How much would you charge if someone asked you to be fully responsible for their safety? You are paying for their willingness to take you on, and their experience, not for Jet A and insurance premiums.

I was in the same position as you this time last year; I had been thinking about BASE for a long time but still couldn't say if it was for me, so had to go and do at least one jump to find out. I paid my money, did my jump(s), did several more jumps, broke my leg (on a jump), will probably still do several more jumps; and I still can't tell you if BASE is for me.

Question is not how much it costs, but do you want to try it or not?

Ahhh..... 2AM on a school night, with my friend Stella :P
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

I didn't know either, but still took a course, payed the money, drove to spudland in November through sleet, snow, and Wyoming wind, not knowing if I would even like it. Something told me I needed to do it, so I did. I guess you have to ask yourself if you really want it, and more importantly WHY you want it, then set your priorities to fit the lifestyle you choose. It isn't about money, in my opinion, it's about what you want, not what it will cost you. In another perspective, say you did ONE jump, say it was free even, but you pigged in on a low turn into a bad landing area and broke some bones, how much do you think that will cost you (not necessarily on the money side of things either)? It's all about what is worth it to you.
Soft landings

Thanks to all those who gave intelligent replies.....
I'll sleep on it.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

It's an honour to have a post replied to by you too.

Yeah, Nigel, nice to see you post, but tell us, since your profile doesn't reveal it, What is your BASS number?

:D

Sorry, couldn't resist that one.

TowerDude, if you want to do it once, then go to Potato land with somebody that knows what they are doing, knows how to teach, has the gear, and likes you enough to put you off the rail. That's a taste of it.

If, after that, you want to continue, then go for the full course. And yeah then the money for it is totally worth it, because they don't just teach you how to get off that bridge, but they try to teach you to be a BASE jumper.

The guy that put me off the Potato bridge knows what he is doing, builds one of the best rigs "not" on the market, jumped by some "world class" people, but...

His first jump, was on a rig he built, off a bridge with a sketch landing, and none of us would go with him, because we didn't want to see him die. He did great, but that is the kind of experience you will get if you don't have a great BASE friend, or aren't willing to pony up the money to pay for real instruction.

----------------------------
bzzzz

Don't sleep on it. Take your skydiving rig out to a tower and climb up and jump off. How hard is that? If you were even a little bit cool then some base jumper would loan you a rig, maybe even give you a few pointers. Personally, I would have never done a FJC. To me it just goes against everything that is base. Go learn it on your own. You're cool and geez, you have 500 jumps and probably have an expert skydiving license. An fjc is a waste of time and money. Gravity will work no matter what. You just have to do your part.

Softie.

What is your BASS number?

I'm not sure it must be really high. My previous bass was Crane Bass No.1 though.

[inline crane_bass.jpg]

Nigel

BASE 28

Nigel Slee...............If you dont know, then you dont know.........
mucho respect man............You new US guys maybe should think outside the US box................

Nuff respect................

;)

gee, Mark, that was just a little unnecessary, don't you think.It's attitudes like yours that make me want to stay away from base jumpers in general. I came on this forum and asked a simple, straightforward question. I never said I was to good for a FJC, nor did I say, that I wouldn't take one. I simply stated that there is the real possibility that after having committed a large sum of money that pays for a bunch of jumps, I may only make one.
I've gotten some really good responses from a lot of people on these forums. Yours is not one of them,
so shut your hole.

It's attitudes like yours that make me want to stay away from base jumpers in general.

One of the other prerequisites for being a BASE jumper is having a thick skin. We don't tend to sugar-coat things too much.

But look at the bright side... you'll always know where folks are coming from. ;)

- Z

it cost $1200 to make 1 stinkin' jump.

if its stinkin dont jump,that will then only cost you 1200$,but theres no stinkin..

sorry dude this aint the normal playground you play in,thouse people who does instruct in these FJC aint to blame if 1 stinkin student only wants to do 1 jump,they need to learn the student exact the same as if he wanted more.

it seems everyone is out to make a bunch of money.....

sounds like your a person that dont give anything out free your self.

sorry but i really think its stupied to discus this.If you think you can enter a new hobby/sport for no costs then rethink.People are using more mony on BASE than you would imagine,if some of thouse oldtimers whith knowledged learned over time,effort,injuryes and the loss of dear freinds will teach you, you just should be happy that they are out there taking care of newbies,making sure that people enter such a dangerus sport in a way as safe as posible..

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

gee, Mark, that was just a little unnecessary, don't you think.It's attitudes like yours that make me want to stay away from base jumpers in general. I came on this forum and asked a simple, straightforward question. I never said I was to good for a FJC, nor did I say, that I wouldn't take one. I simply stated that there is the real possibility that after having committed a large sum of money that pays for a bunch of jumps, I may only make one.
I've gotten some really good responses from a lot of people on these forums. Yours is not one of them,
so shut your hole.

now re-read my post and tell me your retort was justified.................

was I so wrong or so rude?

in the end, people compare the cost with skydiving, well seeing as its nothing like skydiving why bother comparing the cost................ I want to hang glide, but would I say "it costs the same as an AFF course so I dont know if I want to do it?" no........... i pay the money and take the course and find out if its for me!!

again I will say (offending people of course) - FOR FUCKS SAKE!

Mr Rat, you seem like a real nancy boy. With all of this whining about having to pay to do a FJC, it seems my advice would have been well taken. But no you just keep crying about anything related to base. I really don't think you have it in you. Anyone who really wants to do base will get it done, with or without a fjc. You just don't want it very badly and no one is going to spoon feed it to you.

You did not ask a simple question, you came on and cried about having to pay sooooo much money to make one "stinkin" jump. Pay up, or shut up, or go do it on your own. As I mentioned before, if you had anything going for you someone would help you make one pro bono. But all you do is whine and cry, "but I wanna make a base jump" (hands and feet punching and kicking the air, tears streaming down your face.....I wanna jump, I don't wan't to pay, and nobody will take me out....MOM, MAKE THEM PLAY WITH ME!

Now quit your crying and take action. You can 1. Pay to play. 2. Be cool and someone will help you. 3. Do it on your own. Make your choice and do it, or go back to the dz.

Run along now. Good boy.

so shut your hole.

I think he is way funny what about you shut yours... looks like you write that each time some one dont respond to you as your pleased...

I guess BASE just aint your game,use your mony somewere else..

Who is Neigel from UK:ph34r::D i dont think you introdused me Mac.... I guess he is as wrong as evryone else from UK:P´(now heal up so we can have some fun again,and please learn Ivan to drink whith out getting hangover:D)

Niegel,i love your cliff:P

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I want to hang glide, but would I say "it costs the same as an AFF course so I dont know if I want to do it?" no........... i pay the money and take the course and find out if its for me!!

Maybe the time is ripe for BASE tandems to go mainstream. You know... let folks drop oh... I dunno... $25 or so, strap 'em on, huck off a nice 300-footer. If they like it, they can then rent gear and enter an ABN (Accellerated BASE Number) program.

Think of the possibilities! The BASE tandem business alone could be a cash cow. Throw camera people in and make cool videos with cool music (like Tom Petty's "Freefallin'"). As they get near the top scream as loud as we can "ARE YOU READY TO BASE JUMP?????"

We could set up slick advertising campaigns and a 1-800-FLICK-IT phone network.

We'd have to start bumping people off our elevator loads to make room for the BASE tandem business. That might kind of suck, but think of how much MONEY we could make!

That's it, I'm calling my financial planner right now....

- Z

Mr Rat, you seem like a real nancy boy. With all of this whining about having to pay to do a FJC, it seems my advice would have been well taken. But no you just keep crying about anything related to base. I really don't think you have it in you. Anyone who really wants to do base will get it done, with or without a fjc. You just don't want it very badly and no one is going to spoon feed it to you.

You did not ask a simple question, you came on and cried about having to pay sooooo much money to make one "stinkin" jump. Pay up, or shut up, or go do it on your own. As I mentioned before, if you had anything going for you someone would help you make one pro bono. But all you do is whine and cry, "but I wanna make a base jump" (hands and feet punching and kicking the air, tears streaming down your face.....I wanna jump, I don't wan't to pay, and nobody will take me out....MOM, MAKE THEM PLAY WITH ME!

Now quit your crying and take action. You can 1. Pay to play. 2. Be cool and someone will help you. 3. Do it on your own. Make your choice and do it, or go back to the dz.

Run along now. Good boy.

GO ON TOWER RAT - RESPOND WITH THE SAME SHIT TO TREE AS YOU RESPONDED TO ME - SAME THOUGHTS DIFFERENT WAY -

You said it to me now say it to him............. apparently he needs to stop trying to look cool to his online friends and he needs to get over himself!

LOL ... good one with the accelerated BASE number through tandems. ;) But first before we go mainstream with the BASE tandem business, I think we need a tanning saloon to start offering static line BASE jumps to the whuffos using old military rounds. ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

***You said it to me now say it to him............. apparently he needs to stop trying to look cool to his online friends and he needs to get over himself!
----------------------------------------------------------- I did say that, and if the shoe fits, wear it. I will no longer argue online.
I'll once again thank those who had the intelligence to answer my questions in a manner befitting a human being. I thank all of you for your information, and have found most of it to be quite useful.
To you Mr. Tree, I'll leave this at what it is....you obviously have nothing constructive to say.

Go on "Mr Tree"........... get over youself and stop trying to show off................. :P

Towerrat, if you had any idea................ [:/]

again I will say "fucks sake"..................

dont ignore the other responses tha offend you TR, they can be helpful too!

I think as a community we need to begin to be a little more respectful of people coming here and asking legitimate questions. Towerrat came here and asked some questions and when he was given non sarcastic good information he thanked the sources and respected that information. When he was given some plainly mean responses and reacted in kind. Then he is berrated for responding exactly how he was talked to. COme on guys, remember what your mom's taught you, if you have nothing nice to say, dont say anything at all, because I don't want you guys to be the spoksman of our sport with the attitude. No wonder people see us as criminals and jackasses. Nothing in mr. towerrats posts asked for answers like he was given. Read through it again and check it out. Just an idea.

~Chachi

PS, if you are going plan to berrate me for thinking we should be more respedctful of people don't bother, I won't be coming back here to argue with anyone.