base689

Static Line Carry-on Discussion

Believe it or not, I just tied 12 feet of 6mm climbing rope to a 4 pound rock and dropped if off my balcony (a fall of 12 feet), it broke 80lb break cord tied in a loop (same knot as in test 1 above).

I imagine the elasticity of the rope is a little less than that of the bridle plus lines and canopy etc - just because it was much shorter - but the rock also fell much less - so that would make up for it. I now don't believe there's any possibility of a jumper's fall being arrested by break cord - no matter what knot you use!

I would try a smaller rock - but that would be for pure amusment and I think I'd rather use my cordage for a jump.

Do you know if it's possible to buy different strengths of break cord? Paragear only lists one kind, but surely someone, somewhere has needed lighter break cord for something.

Try braided fishing line, Spyder Wire or similar.
The line ratings are fairly accurate including the knot. i.e. 30kg's knotted with a bowline breaks at approx 29kg.

can someone post a pic of the device?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

found this on another tread,as i told ya:P

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

> can someone post a pic of the device?
A nice picture is the one linked by Faber, where you can see the "carry-with-you" alone.
Look also at the sl-carry-knot1.jpg picture posted above by sum1sneaky where you can see the "carry-with-you" already rigged up and ready to jump.
Have a look also to my personal setup here as follows, where you can see the overall picture and the detail also.
Stay safe out there
Blue Skies and Soft Walls
BASE #689 - base_689AT_NO_123_SPAMyahoo.com

thanks
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

i seems to rember that you explained your "bridel" before,but i seems to have forgot.

why is it that you dont use a standard 9ft bridel?
Do you only use that "bridel"on SL jumps,and why?

thanks

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

> why is it that you dont use a standard 9ft bridle?
Because the load that breaks the break cord loop (100 lb - 45 kg) is applied very brutally/immediately/sharply to the bridle and its seams; I am scared that in the long run the continuous application of abrupt/immediate forces to a standard bridle in SL jumps could damage someway somehow its seams and this could bring one day to deteriorate rapidly your day of jumping (perhaps on a terminal jump or so...).
So I caught the hint from a bloke on the BB (it should have been a US bloke, indeed) that used a 5.5mm dyneema climbing rope as a "special bridle" for all his SL jumps.
IMHO, I think that using a WAY OVERSIZED/OVERDIMENSIONED "special bridle", both in its breaking load (1800 kg - 3968 lb) and its seams (mine has got seams for closing the loops with SO MANY stitches....), takes completely away my gear fear.

> Do you only use that "bridle"on SL jumps, and why?
Yes, I use my 5.5mm dyneema "special bridle" ONLY and EXCLUSIVELY for SL jumps.
Could I use it also in normal freefall jumps? I thinks I could, yes, anyway, it's way bulkier and heavier than a standard bridle, and, furthermore, for handholding the "special bridle" + PC, instead of "S folding" it, I should "figure 8 folding" it, filling way more my hand than what would fill an S folded standard bridle + PC.
On a SL jump, my heavier (perhaps 50 ÷ 100 gr or so heavier than standard bridle, I never weighed it...) "special bridle" is brought to stretch by my weight, so its greater weight is NOT AT ALL a concern, once I break the break cord loop, my parachute is already stretched all the way up and needs only to expand, at that point the weight you have above upper surface of parachute does not matter any more (provided you DO NOT have a 2 kg weight on top of it... :P ).
Viceversa, freefalling my "special bridle" from handheld setup, expecially off an aggressively low object, would cause me few concerns about its weight that at low altitudes/low airspedd/low available height is a negative issue, having the PC to pull up the pin, the parachute PLUS the additional weight of "special bridle". Plus, handhelding my special bridle, I would end up having in my hand something very bulky/massive.
So, for ANY freefall jump of mine, why not use the 9' - 2.74m standard bridle, which is thin and flat and in use for decades? B| B| B|
Stay safe out there
Blue Skies and Soft Walls
BASE #689 - base_689AT_NO_123_SPAMyahoo.com

just my thourghts.. thanks for shareing:)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Up until now I've been tying my break cord directly around the anchor point/hand rail (as in staticline1.gif). But on a recent jump I noticed that the break cord is definately breaking where it's in contact with the anchor point. So I'm interested in using a sling and the whole "carry-on" thing. Does anyone have any opinions on the setup in staticline2.gif as a slightly simplified (?) version of what 689 and Faber are using?

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

pic2... is there a PC?
Leroy

Sorry, crap picture. I always leave the pc on.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

the carry on sl is formed like a Y ,you´ll use 3 peices of brake cord(hopefuly only 2 of them will break).

you attach your sling to your bridel by a peice of breakcord,that way if the SL hang up on the object,it will break your cord and leave you under a ok canopy(no harm to it),then basicly as you showed on your drawing,1 breakcord slightly longer than the other so you have a backup in case of a premature break of the first one.
Ofcourse as you say always leave the PC on aswell.

I will gladly show you this(easter05 -uk board),i guess you might have an B i wuld like to jump if im allowed:)

Does anyone have any opinions on the setup in staticline2.gif as a slightly simplified (?) version of what 689 and Faber are using?

the pic 2 is no good,if the sl catch the rail youll have a hangup,it could ruin your canopy and the rest of your day...B|

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

the pic 2 is no good,if the sl catch the rail youll have a hangup

Yeah you're absolutely right. I didn't spot the 3rd bit of break cord on the pics of your setup.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

After a quick scan of what this thread is about, it looks like y'all are looking for an ultra-reliable static line method????

If so, please see the bridle extension innovated by Todd Shoebotham specifically for the Super Bowl jumps in Houston last year.

Todd created an extension to the bridle that allows for two separate break cords to be tied in; with the pilot chute left attached that gives you 3 separate chances for full deployment.

I don't know how to clicky link the exact spot on the website, but it's www.basicresearch.com, under the left column Reference find Tech News, then Bridle Extension. http://www.basicresearch.com/

Some of the photos I glanced at looked quite complicated to me...I don't care to spend that much time rigging ropes unless I'm using them to tie Shotgun down for the evening. The pilot chute one was especially daunting!

Maybe you all are addressing some other issue than guaranteeing full deployment...perhaps like leaving nothing behind? In that case, I hereby shut the heck up.

Peace,
K

http://www.basicresearch.com/technews.htm#bridle
Nice setup Karen but can only be used at places were you can get the carabiner and rope back(like the superbowl)..IT DOES LEAVE the carabiner and what ever it were attached to...

As im jumping a special A here(180/165ft) and know i cant go up there again to get my eitems back and maintains people are up there each day,i use the carry on SL that ONLY will be left in case the SL hang up...which ill know as ill loose my SL(like the carabiner on Apex web;))

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

can i order one from ya? :-);)
Leroy

We brainstormed this problem a year or two ago and came up with this which seems to work really well.

I have been building them out of Dacron and spectra. I have jumped it a bunch and it works exactly the way it's supposed to. Super clean, super simple, and very easy to rig up.

I will post pics of my setup in the morning (I'm at work) when I get home.

If you have some dacron, spectra, a finger trapping tool and a sewing machine you can build one in a couple minutes or I could build one for ya.

I will post pics of my setup in the morning (I'm at work) when I get home.

will that mean ill get the pics you promised the other day aswell:ph34r::P

If you have some dacron, spectra, a finger trapping tool

a thing i want you to give me the skills to do.. and ill ofcourse need a fingertrapping tool aswell:D

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

The only problem I see is if the lines get cought in something.

Take a look at this. It is basically the same set up but the longer loop is connected via a 2nd breakcord.
Memento Audere Semper

Dexter also said it were 2 years ago.. im sure he also use a "cutaway loop" aswell:P

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Okay, here's a couple pics of my static line attachment for BASE jumping.

I usually just girth hitch the spectra to the bridle since the short loop of dacron entangling with anything is no more likely than the bridle and PC themselves. If it is still a concern, just attach the thing with a loop of breakcord.

Once the attachment is rigged to the bridle, loop the red dacron over the handrail or anchor object so that the white extension faces away from the object. This is so that when the breakcord parts the dacron will "whip" away from the object.

Tie the two ends of the dacron to the bridle with a single loop of 80 pound breakcord. When you tie the knot, take all the slack out of the loop of breakcord.

If you're doing a lower jump where you want redundancy you can add a longer loop routed through the same points, just make it long enough that the first loop must break before the backup loop can be loaded.

I use two different materials to build the SL attachment to reduce the chances of misrigging something in the dark. It's simple: tie the two red ends to the bridle and face the white part away from the handrail.

Any more questions or anything I can explain better?

I like that setup. Very simple and highly unlikely that you'll screw it up, especially if you use another loop of breakcord from the spektra to the bridle and a larger loop through the ends of the dacron for redundancy.

However, your third photo shows the dacron looped to the bridle with the breakcord, wouldn't it be better to have the dacron looped around the anchor held together by the breakcord and the spektra attached to the bridle via a seperate break cord? This would decrease the length of dacron that would have to be extracted from around the anchor, no?

Also, this is still a 96lb break force, correct?