Perrinegrl

Perrine Burning Continues

Here is video of the jump in question.

Two things to note that are the subject of discussion here.

1) The board was a "tow in" type board with straps to hold it to the feet (they turned out not to be strong enough to hold it through opening shock).

2) There is a boat waiting under the jumpers, which you can see through the rail as he climbs over. The boat comes up the river to pick him up after the jump.

Doesn't this video beg the question "Why would you want to tow your pilot chute in with you?"

Looks like he was having a pilot chute in tow for about 2-2.5 seconds. Was it supposed to be a PCA or did the holder fuck up and toss it behind the Rad Jumper? But then again why would you do a PCA facing the bridge? Do these jumpers not know about the snatch force it takes to open a container? I would hate to see such an awesome jumper go in like this for a few photos of, as 515 said, old stuff that has been done. I really don't get why they would deploy like this.... please someone enlighten me:)

Nice video. If the PCA was done properly he may not have picked up enough speed to lose the board. I guess that no one has explained to JT advanced issues like velcro peel force VS sheer force. I also note that JT can't hit dry land even with a 2 minute canopy flight. More reasons and proof that you should learn canopy flight skills in the relative safety of skydiving, not base. And finally, it was still a pretty dumb thing to do after the water skiis and rail issues from all of a week before.

You are so rad. Can't wait to meet you, JT. B|

Unless my vision is really bad, I THINK the guy giving him a PCA was one of his students.

Unless my vision is really bad, I THINK the guy giving him a PCA was one of his students.

Not sure what your point is here. During my FJC with Vertigo I PCA'ed Jimmy. Why did he let me PCA him? So that I knew how to PCA people when it was time to set me free.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Not sure what your point is here. During my FJC with Vertigo I PCA'ed Jimmy. Why did he let me PCA him? So that I knew how to PCA people when it was time to set me free.

I think the point is to have a person who knows what to do on a PCA. It looks to me neither person directly involved knew what they were doing. I guess no one watching saw anything wrong either....sad! I don't see anything wrong with teaching people the right way to do things no matter how many jumps they have. The key here is doing it the "Right Way". I think Jimmy might be a little more knowledgable on these things too, so he would therefore be a better teacher. It's really rather humerous watching people who have little or no knowlegde of BASE and parachuting trying to teach people the "right way" to do things (blind leading the blind). I think it's more an ego thing than anything else. These people think that since they have 'survived' a few jumps they are now experts and can pass their superior knowledge to BASE wannabees so they can feel important. I do feel sorry for the students since they don't know any better (although they should if they value there life!) Eventually someone will get hurt or killed or a site will be burned because they had inferior teachers who didn't understand or failed to try to understand all of the little things in BASE that will make you an OLD RESPECTED BASE JUMPER not a Stupid looking DEAD one.

stay safe,

Well said, my bad. We shouldn't compare the instruction of someone who knows what they are doing compared to some wanna bee with an attitude.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

for what it is worth....

I know at least that you can PCA someone ...
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

I'm fairly sure it was BB, from Oregon, who has at least several hundred jumps. It looks like he releases the PC prematurely (which, in JT's opinion, was why the board came off).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

let me ask this question since I only have maybe 20 jumps from the Perrine and in no way am an expert on the heights involved but is it safe to do a slider down floater PCA off that bridge? How much steel do you have to pass before you have clear airspace in front of you? I would seem to me that the more logical choice would be to face away from the bridge (cameras) when doing PCA's. Maybe I'm wrong though??[:/]

I'd generally agree with you. If you do a PCA and have a 180 (or do a floater), and you're not dead center, you do have some chance to strike the steel. If you are dead center? I'd bet you couldn't hit it, but I've never seen anyone do that, so I'm just speculating.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com