Perrinegrl

Perrine Burning Continues

You know I was sitting here thinking of the girls we could sick on the guilty people and I how could I have forgotten you ... Katie-Monster. Hope to see you out there soon Katie. I've been back several times since Memorial Day and for sure plan on being there for Labor Day.

So let's sick Britney, Meghan and Katie on the guilty people. :ph34r:

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Yes. There has been some discussion of this with the state agency that regulates wilderness guides and outfitters. I, for one, hope it doesn't come to that.

But if it keeps the sight open, especially for new jumpers wouldn't it be worth it.

How can we hope that other legal sites can be opened (National Parks) if we can't distance ourselves from rogue jumpers.
I like the bandit jumps just as much as the next guy (or gal) but I would not risk getting a legal site shut down to try a new trick.

My 2 cents
"When it comes to BASE, I'll never give advice, only my opinion"

But if it keeps the sight open, especially for new jumpers wouldn't it be worth it.

As a last resort... yes.

But the BASE community has always taken pride in it's ability to regulate itself. And it has done so quite effectively on occasion. :o I'd really like to keep it in the family, so to speak.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

For legal sites, would it be possible to establish some sort of local licensing to use the object, with the license fees going to local emergency crews? Anyone who does something stupid can have their site license revoked and not be eligible to jump there again.

Oh Brother!
Let's give the USPA a call and see if they'll take the job of regulating BASE jumping on...

Regaulation is not the answer...

mh

If no organization is going to police us, we must police ourselves. I don't think we're policing ourselves very well if all we do is complain here.....actions speak louder than words.

Regulation is not the answer...

(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

Perrine has been jumped previously by other BASE jumpers with skyboards safely (RS, DW)....i.e. experienced aerialists, BASE specific boards, proper bindings etc.

I believe these jumps can still be made safely and in a low profile manner (i.e. below the rail, no media, no F/U attitude)

Just because JT can't pull it off....don't ban those that can.

If no organization is going to police us, we must police ourselves. I don't think we're policing ourselves very well if all we do is complain here.....actions speak louder than words.

Regulation is not the answer...

Us looking out for ourselves is not regulation--If it is, then I'm wrong. What I mean is, I vote for the ATL crew's type of regulation [read: JV].

mh

Us looking out for ourselves is not regulation--If it is, then I'm wrong. What I mean is, I vote for the ATL crew's type of regulation [read: JV].

Say the word and I'll call Avis for a van.;)

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

Anyone that has JT's contact info (email, home address etc.), could you please PM me - I'm trying to get in contact with him. thx!

Update:

Meghan, JT and I had a nice talk today. I think things will calm down a bit. I could be proven wrong, but I think we'll do ok.

Regarding the surfboard jump: JT says that he did look for traffic below before jumping. He was apparently trying to jump the surfboard down, holding it between his legs. Not the brightest idea (he knows that, I think), but I don't think it was particularly malicious. In short, it sounded to me more like foolishness than arrogance.

At any rate, I'd appreciate if we knocked off the threats and attacks at this point.

Thanks!
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Meghan, JT and I had a nice talk today. I think things will calm down a bit. I could be proven wrong, but I think we'll do ok.

At any rate, I'd appreciate if we knocked off the threats and attacks at this point.

Sorry Tom i dont get you here,should people calm down becourse you had a nice chat to thouse people??Sorry were talking about burning objects here and people keep doing it,i guess if you can say that it stops by this then yes things will calm down after a bit,but the fact is that we already got bad attention to the spot...People cant just ignore that becourse you guys had a nice chat..

If thouse people agree to stop hurting the object then i will give them that,and hold them on the word,but if not.. well then they ask for flames big time..

JUMP BY THE RULES!!! or dont jump at thouse sites...

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Just wanted to make sure I have all the details straight:

JT jumps with skis last week, cops tell him not to. He then continues to jump with skis and with local TV cameras later in the evening.

JT knows that it is wrong, refuses to apologize, and taunts all those who care about the bridge.

JT invites everyone to jump from "his" bridge, the cop thing and the rules are being blown out of proportion.

JT kind of apologizes, says that he will be nice and play by the rules...

JT jumps with a surfboard this time, almost hits people on boats underneath...

JT talks to Tom, says he looked below when he held the surfboard between his legs, but didn't see the people 486' below. And somehow didn't know that a surfboard might slip out from between his legs and fall away?

JT and Tom talk, and all is well again in Twin?

A couple memorable recent quotes:

"and please trust that I love and want o preserve the bridge like all of the rest of us... without it, i would not have such a perfect place for BASE jumping and deathcamping."

"and we are polite and respectful ambassadors for the sport."

"we must not cause more turbulence ourselves on an already minor and docile situation."

but I don't think it was particularly malicious. In short, it sounded to me more like foolishness than arrogance.

sorry, but after all that has gone before it really does sound like arrogance - its the arrogance of doing something, getting caught and told off - making apologies and then thinking you get away with it going and doing something similar again.

I wonder Tom, how you would have reacted should have this been say me doing this? or someone else not so "cool" - I know the rules, I know the problems recently occuring, but I go and do something like this - I would have been strung up by everyone including you I would expect.

Time and time again I see that because of someones reputation and rating on the BASE cool list they get away with things and are given more slack then the rest of us "uncool" group.

One of the reasons I hated the skydiving environment is the clique mentallity and the allowance of the "cool people" to get away with more than the rest of us............

This seems to happen in the field and on the boards.

Everyone is so quick to blaze the Cat Felix for what he does as apparently is way down in the cool list - but I dont see Felix showing no respect to your legal span out there or in fact any thing like the disrespect that is happening out there at the moment.............Felix may have other short comings and issues which I dont agree with either - but what i feel is that the flaming is a little inconsistant..................

The reason this has annoyed me is that I am sat here recovering from an injury where I was on an object with a shattered leg and ankle and after having my foot on the wrong way round and replaced in the field, having my friends take out metal fencing and replace it to get me out of the landing area and then drive 70 miles to a hospital away from the object so not to draw attention to it and blaze it - all this time risking loosing my foot due to my injury......... and then I read about such a disregard to a legal object that puts in at risk............ so who exactly does have the most respect for the sport?

but then again, being a member of the uncool BASE list my thoughts will always count for shit.........

Tom, I really think you are being snowed. Its like catching a 5 year old with his hand in the cookie jar. He knows he's wrong, and that he's been caught, and will say anything to get out of it. It was an arrogant, F-U all thing to do, he knew god damn well when he did it. I have not had the time to speak with the sheriff about this, but I am going to this afternoon. I'm not going to sit around while some cockmunch punk with an attitude ruins one of the few things the base community has. Yes, some will say its a dick thing to do, and that you never call the fuzz on another jumper. But I would rather take some action now to prevent closure of the bridge than be sitting around bitching about what could have been done to prevent it.

I believe that the threats against JT et al are justified. If WE took care of business WE wouldn't have to worry about the man closing us down. Since no one else seems willing to take action and teach (beat) some ethic into JT, I'll do the next best thing and see what he can be charged with. Maliciously jumping fromm the rail needs to be a chargeable offense, otherwise ass hats will keep doing it until we are closed down. Moronic (childish) jumps with objects not designed in any way for freefall absolutely should bring an objects thrown from the bridge charge. If this is not the way to deal with this bullshit, I would love to hear from others what WE can do. The attitude from these dickheads is obvious, and they have said "we don't care if we are the people that shut this bridge down". Well I care, and I take action, and since I'm not close enough to take the action I REALLY feel is needed, I'll do what I can to keep our most valued asset open.

Cya. >:(

Sorry Tom i dont get you here,should people calm down becourse you had a nice chat to thouse people?

No. People should stop making threats of physical violence (like the one's I've edited out of this thread). And they should do it because it's not appropriate in this forum.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Just wanted to make sure I have all the details straight:

That's pretty much accurate.

Except that this part,

and all is well again in Twin?

We'll have to see how it turns out.

Edit to add: During out talk, JT told me that he was leaving town, and likely wouldn't be back this season.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

The reason this has annoyed me is that I am sat here recovering from an injury where I was on an object with a shattered leg and ankle and after having my foot on the wrong way round and replaced in the field, having my friends take out metal fencing and replace it to get me out of the landing area and then drive 70 miles to a hospital away from the object so not to draw attention to it and blaze it - all this time risking loosing my foot due to my injury......... and then I read about such a disregard to a legal object that puts in at risk............ so who exactly does have the most respect for the sport?

Very good point....and well put.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

blah blah blah....man a lot of people have too much time on there hands...how about in stead of flaming JT on the forum ya'll take a trip to the potato state and make a few jumps with him....i bet after you spend the day out there jumping with him you'll find out that he does not have an FU attitude but he is one of the funnest people to jump with ......go jump have fun quit your bitchen

Sky Beck:P
[email protected]

It's not about how fun or cool someone is, its about how much respect they have for how their actions effect those around them - either directly or indirectly.

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

Right on, Freakdiver.....
If Mother Teresa did the same stuff JT and crew have been doing, I'd still tar and feather her as well...
It's not who you are, how cool you are normally, or the fact that everyone may love you, it's WHAT you did. I see that JT is leaving town before the posse arrives.;)

It's not about how fun or cool someone is, its about how much respect they have for how their actions effect those around them - either directly or indirectly.

(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

If Mother Teresa did the same stuff JT and crew have been doing, I'd still tar and feather her as well...

I'd T&F that bitch, anyway. Talking about being an attention seeker. ;)

Personally, I think involving the authorities (what Tree was talking about) is a bad idea. Yeah, you don't want anyone pulling this shit, but the more work you make police do, the more of a bother you become. If they're having to come out to chase people away or monitor activities, that's bad news.

Just try not to fuck it up before I leave there on Sunday.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

Tree --

I certainly agree with all the points you are making here, but I think it is a bad idea to call the sherrif at this point and time.

Calling the sherrif may cause more harm than good. If the Sherrif's office is bothered enough by jumpers and their actions, then it may be easier for them to simply shut down jumping at the bridge than having to clean up our mess.

It is my opinion that we need to self-regulate amongst ourselves as much as we possibly can and keep law enforcement out of it unless it is absolutely necessary.

Right now, we have a jumper who is being selfish and disrespectful on one of our premier legal objects. For the most part, only the BASE jumping community knows about it, and a handful of spectators in Twin Falls. Calling law enforcement is going to bring all kinds of permanent and lasting attention to BASE jumping as a whole in Twin Falls -- and I'm not convinced that it's going to be good.

Tree, I luv ya bro, but I would like to please ask you not to call the Sherrif at this time and let's do our best to handle this sort of thing internally.

I'm headed to Twin Falls tomorrow evening and am going to do all I can to help there. (I'm actually moving to Idaho -- about an hour west of Twin Falls)

Hope you're doing well and looking forward to seeing you at BD!

Take care,

Bryan

Hey Bryan,

Long time no see. Sorry, I won't be at BD this year, as my wife is due (with a son) on Oct 28th, and that is a little too close to be out of town. I have not called the sherrif, yet. I'm talking with Tom about what we can do. That is the question. What can we do? How do you solve this problem. As far as I can tell, its already the Sherrif's problem as he ended up talking to JT. Lets also face facts, not everyone in TF is supporting base. These activities give them ammo. So I ask again, what can we do, short of asking the sherrif for help, before he decides to provide it based on calls form others?

Hope you are doing well,

Tree

I vote T&F...I don't like the idea of getting the authorities involved. It would be a blessing if he gets "legally" banned from the bridge. But what happens when he gets caught doing a bandit jump? Based on what I've read, two of his cohorts (I'll follow the rules by not posting names) have pulled similar stunts. When the cops get tired of showing up all of the time, the bridge will burn.

I agree that we need to police ourselves. So why don't we police the current problem? I vote for T&F, but if that isn't the consensus, I vote AGAINST POLICING BY FLAMING. Next step?

Good post Bryan ...

Not long ago some experienced local skydivers did something here in CO which was wrong and it attracted a lot of negative attention both in the skydiving community as well as in the media. I made the mistake of stating the obvious here on DZ.COM that what they did was wrong and another jumper PM'ed me and had some very good points which are similar to what has been happening here. I was being overly critical of these jumpers and this jumper who PM'ed me basically told me that being a critic often serves no good outside of letting others know that I really had nothing constructive to say and people will remember me as nothing more than some who slams other people. Then this jumper went on to tell me that yes these people did fuck up, this jumper who PM'ed me had fucked up in the past and guess what? Sooner or later I would fuck up. And how could I argue with him? This jumper who PM'ed me was 100% correct (to date I have yet to do anything really stupid, but that's not to say that I won't do something stupid on my next jump).

So yes the guilty people have fucked up, and many people on here have outed them, criticized them and even threatened them. Hopefully because the BASE community has been pretty vocal here self-policing ourselves, that many many people (not just the guilty people) will come to the understanding that certain actions at the Perrine will not be tolerated. But the time to point fingers has come and gone and it is time to move on and getting the local law enforcement people involved likely is going to hurt more that it's going to help.

We need to be better ambassadors to the sport when we're at the bridge. We need to answer the whuffos questions when we are asked and we need to act in a curtious manner and watch our potty mouths. And personally I believe we need to stop pestering the whuffos. Running up to them asking them if they saw us jump, showing them our videos and telling them how cool we are because we jump isn't going to impress the whuffos (who think we are crazy to begin with). I know I am new to BASE, but I've always been under the impression that we jump for ourselves and not for others. So unless I'm mistaken here, let's all try to remember why we jump in the first place. I know I don't jump to impress my fellow jumpers and I surely don't jump to impress the whuffos.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over