bertusgeert

How dangerous is BASE really?

Some people think we are nuts and have very big balls to skydive.
And then, skydivers think that BASE jumpers are nuts and have very big balls to BASE jump.

Many adrenaline sports are as dangerous as you make them - but even the safest BASE jump is still very dangerous - there are MANY factorsto take into consideration.

Compare BASE Jumping to Kayaking, Rock Climbing, Skydiving, Skiing, Surfing or any other adrenaline sport. I can say I kayak, even if its on flat water. I can climb, even if it is closer to a hill than a wall. I can ski on a green run. Skydivng gets closer, and even though there are many factors that you have to consider on a skydive, BASE jumping is a lot more intense than most skydives.

In very few other sports do you risk "burning" a site. It is simply not dangerous enough for people to end up dying on a site and causing it to be banned. BASE is so dangerous that people are outlawing it when something goes wrong. I think that says something.

Just a few thoughts that ran accros my mind. People talk about skateboarding and surfing being the "extreme" sports. They dont know what they are talking about. I think BASE takes the cake by far.

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

I still think rodeo is nuts... :P

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Why the hell did it double post? :S

you all pick which thread you want to post in!

I think free climbers are totally hatstand personally :)

surfing with the sharks around is nuts

-------------------------
"jump, have fun, pull"

Powerboat racing on choppy water is pretty extreme...:|

Not to mention diving, people continues to have a problem with breathing water.

// percy

i have a mate who does cave diving - (his mate does unchartered cave diving!!)- i think that is just mad as a box of frogs...

..... the most insane thing is sitting on your fat arse not doing any of these activities but watching TV................ :$

the people whith greatest balls are thouse who get married,i tryed it once,and i can tell i will never do it again,THAT is scary:P

who cares what is extreme,you know,people think im cracy BASEjumping(Lee.. he he),i think some BASEjumpers are cracyer than me,but then the first group of people dont knows about thouse i think is cracy...

We all have our limits,which aint the limit for other people=what is extreme to one might not be to another..

I example think that anysports involving loads of work like football,marthon and so on,is extreme,but thats becours im a lazy boy:P

sometimes its extreme to think of that so many people think of their sport as extreme,instead of just enjoy what they like to do...

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I still think rodeo is nuts... :P

Dude I couldn't agree more. Those guys are nutz.

I example think that anysports involving loads of work like football,marthon and so on,is extreme,but thats becours im a lazy boy.

Sneaking around in the middle of the night climbing ladders, staris, and rocks sure seems like alot of work to me... Granted the rewards is worth it, but IU think BASE is hard work for sure.

Those who have seen me know why it's that much harder for me... lol

Ganja

Sneaking around in the middle of the night climbing ladders, staris, and rocks sure seems like alot of work to me... Granted the rewards is worth it, but IU think BASE is hard work for sure.

sure is,but we get a jump as a reward of our efforts,tell me what a marton runner gets besides sore legs.. :P

Those who have seen me know why it's that much harder for me... lol

were all lazy boys here;)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Someone told me that "BASE will never be safe, but it can be as dangerous as you want it to be".

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I example think that anysports involving loads of work like football,marthon and so on,is extreme,but thats becours im a lazy boy:P

sometimes its extreme to think of that so many people think of their sport as extreme,instead of just enjoy what they like to do...

yeah, thats another discussion that has been discussed on DZ.com a few times...but anyhow

I dont like to title "extreme" sports. If I catch what you are saying the right way, I agree. A lot of people want to be the "I'm way extreme dude, thats rad, totally awesome dude". When I'm just enjoying talking about skydiving with some people, I have had them tell me, I consider myself to be an "extreme sports junkie". I try to be polite, but my answer is - OK MAN, whatever you wanna think of yourself as to make yourself feel better...

As for football and other sports...I think they can be extreme, in the sense that the athletes push themselves and the limits of the sport to the extreme.

Like you said Faber - just do what you want to do and enjoy it. Don't do it to be viewed as courageous or mr.bigballs by others, we have too many of those around.

bullriding - I consider it too crazy. You gotta have mad skills and some big balls, brass or titanium preferably. otherwise it'd be a problem...

bullriding - I consider it too crazy. You gotta have mad skills and some big balls, brass or titanium preferably

.......and cruel to animals......

>:(

at least we dont hurt anyone / anything....

Have you ever been in the backcountry with avalanche potential?

Not that I don't think base has its dangers - but quite frankly, there are other "sports" where I've seen MORE injuries and just as small a margian of error. Some people just don't understand snowpack and stability for instance. For them trekking around in the backcountry with a set of skis or whatever, the backcountry just became way more dangerous than alot of base jumps.

In fact, I believe that most base jumpers (well, the one's I know) take the sport so seriously, that they are able to say NO when the conditions are not condusive. On the other hand, I've had quite a few run ins with people who simply cannot say no when powder bekkons.

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

Have you ever been in the backcountry with avalanche potential?

Not yet!:)
Point taken, but..... I can say I ski, and I do, but that doesnt take balls. I can say I climb, and I do but that doesnt take balls. Neither of those sports has to be dangerous.

So, to start BASE jumping takes a lot more balls than to start skiing or climbing. The average BASE jump is much more dangerous than the average ski run or climb.

Good point though.

But if you quit responding in the middle of a BASE jump, you WILL die.
If you stop responding in the middle of a climb, you'll fall and scratch yourself.
If you stop responding in the middle of a dangerous ski run, you COULD die. see?:)

Sign up another BASE Jumper that thinks Bull Riding is WWAAAAaaaayyyy more insane than BASE. Those guys shatter more bones than anyone, and then cut off the cast 2 weeks early and jump right back on. Hank.....
"It takes a big man to cry, it takes an even bigger man to make that big man cry"

I don't know man... Sport Knife Fucking is pretty dangerous. The KFAA (Knife Fucking Association of America) posts some pretty heinous numbers of injuries and fatalities each year.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

Try fucking the other end...;);)

This technique works for all kinds of things including bulls and girlies:o
$kin.

Prizes to anyone who gets to read my posts before Mr Aiello's son, Tom deletes them.

I did my first base jump solo from a tall S, on borrowed gear I had never even seen unpacked. Aside from bruised feet from landing a Fury (220), it went great. A little scarry, but mostly just great fun. The next morning I kayaked the Upper Gauley river (Class V), and I was terrified for 5 hours straight. At the time I had paddled for about 5 years and had done some pretty difficult stuff, but nothing has ever been as scary as big water kayaking. I don't think I will ever be back at a place where I would put in on big class V rapids. That shit is terrifying!

OK, rodeo is way crazy too.

Cya.

Keep me laguhing Skinflicka. B|

Hit a 45 degree slope with slosh all around you where if you fall you will tumble 1000 feet plus. That indeed takes balls.

More to the point, it isn't about balls. These sports are about precise calculatable risk. It takes a hell of a lot more than balls to base and drop into a steep chute. If you wish to live to see another day in these types of sports, leave your sack at home and learn as much as you possibly can prior to participating.

BTW - have you seen the average number of skier to skier collisions at a typical colorado resort over the past five years? Have you seen the number of paralysis victims resulting from these collisions? You nor the next guy may think skiing at a resort is dangerous, but I can fully gurantee you, it's just like being on the road nowadays. You have many different skill levels competing for the same amount of space.

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

...In very few other sports do you risk "burning" a site. It is simply not dangerous enough for people to end up dying on a site and causing it to be banned. BASE is so dangerous that people are outlawing it when something goes wrong. I think that says something.

Generally, BASE jumping isn't banned at sites (e.g. nps) because of actual dangers. It's banned because the people in charge of such things look at the exit point(s) and feel their insides rebel -- "how could anybody jump from there?!?" -- and assume, therefore, that there must be something "wrong" with doing so. It's an emotional response: "I'm scared" gets confused with "that's immoral". This is a particular problem for BASE because fear of falling is deep-seated, visceral and immediate, unmediated by logic. Floating on a boat isn't particularly scary in and of itself, so, to be afraid of kayaking, most people have to think through to the potential consequences. Similarly, standing on a pair of skis as they move across the ground isn't by itself scary. Even climbing is less scary because the essence of it is hanging on (i.e. not falling). But to choose to fall from the exit point -- whoa!! I had a nightmare about that once!! Thus decisions about what is and is not "allowed" aren't predicated on any consideration of the actual relative risks involved.

At a bridge recently, I watched as tour buses pulled into the parking lot, 20% of the occupants got off and took a few pictures of the canyon and bridge, bought a refrigerator magnet, and got back on the bus 15 minutes later. Remembering that as I stood outside the rail on the bridge, I realized that I got to experience the canyon so much more fully by jumping into it. I was reaching out to take in the whole canyon, not just looking at it like it was on tv or something.
Ultimately, it's got nothing to do with balls. Just not sure how to get this across to those who would ban things just because they can't imagine doing them.

be the canyon

be the canyon

No thanks, I'll just be in the canyon. Not sure I want to become a part of the canyon...

Ganja "What's my number" Rodriguez

That's some in depth thoughts there. Never thought about it that way.

But I still think you need to have a lot of courage (balls) to jump off of a BASE. You might not think you have balls, but I think any BASE jumper has balls. unless he is blind.