hottamaly

would you buy a helmet with impact absorbtion?

I read allot of talk regarding helmet protection or lack of except for the Protec. Would you be willing to sacrifice looks for a helmet that had better impact absorbtion (styrofoam) but would require to be bubblier looking to fit in the foam?

Skydiving gave me a reason to live
I'm not afraid of what I'll miss when I die...I'm afraid of what I'll miss as I live

I didn't vote since the list didn't really reflect my needs. First of all, my current quiver of helmets provide adequate protection, including the Boneheads. If you can design a stylish helmet that is able to have better impact absorbtion it would sell. B|

Sure. Although, I do wear a helmet now primarily as a means to attach a camera, so I'm not sure if these needs could coexist.

That said, if I were to be active in 4way or doing a lot more freeflying, then I would be more interested in a helmet with good protection qualities.

I think, just as in the past, a new kind of helmet would not become popular until groups like Airspeed or some of the shit-hot freeflyers start to use it.

_An
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I think there's a market for a good full face helmet with impact protection. BASE jumpers keep scrounging up weird setups to try for more protection. I've seen (grossly inadequate) skydiving helmets, pro-tecs with no face protection, and a gaggle of weird mountain biking, climbing and (believe it or not) ice hockey helmets on exit points.

Something designed for parachuting (i.e. low snag), with full face protection and impact absorption would definitely get my dollars. If you really want to design a super helmet, make it full face with good peripheral vision (the current crop is pretty so-so on this) and include a flat top for a camera mount. If you're super cool, try making a flip up lens that somehow works with a top mount camera.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I read allot of talk regarding helmet protection or lack of except for the Protec. Would you be willing to sacrifice looks for a helmet that had better impact absorbtion (styrofoam) but would require to be bubblier looking to fit in the foam?

I honestly don't think the low profile skydiving helmets are all about style.

It is important for a skydiving helmet to be low profile and aerodynamic. It is more comfortable and you have less chance of it catching air and flying off or digging into your chin.

Also, when I wear a protec, the padding is so thick and my head is so small that it limits my peripheral vision. No lie.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Also, when I wear a protec, the padding is so thick and my head is so small that it limits my peripheral vision. No lie.

:D:D sorry but I must laugh at the picture you just painted in my head.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

You have to consider what they are for. Skydiving helmets were/are basic protection from hitting the AC climbing out, and being hit by other skydivers feet etc. in RW (where most of todays helmets were developed prior to freeflyers). Our first camera helmets were motorcycle helmets with brackets and/or cutouts for mounting cameras.

None other than the motorcycle helmets were design for impact. These days base may want an impact "resistant" helmet however, most others want maximum protection with minimum weight and minimum investment.

If you are considering impact from a bad landing, (do not read "hook")what we have today will function to prevent cuts and scratches. If you are looking for something more then you must be considering a situation where there will be injuries to other parts of the body also.

Blues,

J.E.
James 4:8

You have to consider what they are for.

Yeah, I know. That's why most of us (BASE jumpers) are using non-skydiving helmets. The only ones that see wide spread use are camera helmets and full face.

If you are looking for something more then you must be considering a situation where there will be injuries to other parts of the body also.

And that's why we wear a lot of body armor, too. ;)

-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

no, cause my helmets protect me enough for the kind of incidents and functions they are designed for. Would still like/need a full face for some RW and video.
what I expect is :
-support for camera and audible
-protection against risers at deployment
-protection against feet etc during freefall
-protection for my head in case of PLF

I do not use a helmet as a protective gear in case of impact.
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579