potikum

Javelin Odissey - is it REALLY so COOL to WAIT 21 WEEKS!!!

>:( I`m waiting my Javelin Odissey since August 20. Sometimes I`m thinking that Mirage G4 in 3-4 weeks could be much better!!

Koments????!!!!!

Well, too late now... you were cool with the 20 week wait then, so you'll just have to stick it out. 4 weeks longer isn't much considering it's already been 4 months!

Personally, I would not order a jav that would be a 20-24 week waid... but, that's just me. It isn't because I don't think they have a good product,..i'm sure the odyssey is a nice rig. I'm just not a patient person, and there are other good rigs out there, too! :)
Angela.

Ok, someone mentioned that they were cranking out 50 a week?

Would you really want a rig that was one of those? Yes they were built to the same standard, yes they were inspected, but how much time did they spend building the rig and how much time did the take inspecting.[:/]
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Ok, someone mentioned that they were cranking out 50 a week?

Would you really want a rig that was one of those? Yes they were built to the same standard, yes they were inspected, but how much time did they spend building the rig and how much time did the take inspecting.[:/]

As usual, I'm confused, and partisan. If you're talking about Jav - Agreed!:D

If you're talking about Mirage...>:(

There are 2 consistant complaints I hear about the G4.

1. It's ugly as sin. (Beauty is in the eye of the beholder)

2. It's over built/over engineered (Which makes your comment sound odd.)

How much time they spent building, and how much time they spent inspecting depends on the size of their staff, how many shifts they run and a multitude of other variables - all of which will affect their overheads. Maybe it looks "ugly" or "blocky" cos they thought about how to build it most practically. Many companies get around that by charging for a rush delivery instead of building it into the price.

As for speed of production for any product goes...

A BMW 5 series is built in under 9 hours. F1 engines are rebuilt in hours, along with brain surgery and other more mundane tasks. Short time does not mean poor quality.

21 weeks.

That's 105 working days.

Thats 840 hours at 8 hours a day.

Thats Bullshit if you think it takes that to build them. Your order probably sits there for 20 weeks first.

I've heard of "unravlin Javlins"
I've not heard of "malfunctioning Mirages"

t
It's the year of the Pig.

<<<>>

Wow, that's a pretty harsh statement. Somehow I doubt you called to speak to the owners of SunPath before passing your judgement.

If there two people who care about skydivers it's the owners of Sun Path. In fact, I've hardly met anyone who has such a passion for skydiving as Derek Thomas.

To the person waiting:
I know it sucks waiting for new gear. But, in my opinion, the Odyssey is worth the wait. It's an awesome rig that you will serve you well for many years to come. (And look great!) If your delivery time is getting later than you were told, then I would call your dealer and plead your case - the whole squeeky wheel gets oiled thing.

Good luck!!!

You've not heard of malfunctioning Mirages? They have had recalls, just like every rig mfg has. I have a friend who almost died due to a malfunctioning Mirage. He now jumps a Vector. (I have been jumping Javelin for 8 yrs.)

If you're trying to claim that the Javelin is in anyway an unsafe rig, then you have not done your homework.

Well, I guess we can all have our own opinions - makes life interesting for sure.

You've not heard of malfunctioning Mirages? They have had recalls, just like every rig mfg has. I have a friend who almost died due to a malfunctioning Mirage. He now jumps a Vector.

Just wondering if you could elaborate on this comment. I jump a Mirage G4 and am extremely happy with it, but just curious to know what happened.

~La La Gang Member #2~

Shaun,

Take a breath! I'm surprised to hear this from you. Value is what we are talking about. Lead times always change with rig, canopy, jumpsuit manufacturers. It depends upon your "value" of the product. I for one "value" Sunpath Products a great deal. I've jumped Javelin for over 12 years and I will wait.

If you want just a good rig, most will do just fine. It's Fords and Chevys. What you see as the best rig or best value is different from the next guy.

8 weeks, 18 weeks or 18 months, if it's what you want, it's worth it.

Now, lets talk production and contracts. Yes I'm going to take the big contact if I'm a manufacturer if the profit margin is there and evaluate how many single rig orders I'm going to miss if I do and decide where the best return is. Thats called business. Too many people these days are in the "instant gratification" state and think it's wrong for a business to "make money". I

If you don't like it, buy another rig or start your own company making your rig. You might have to change to a "business" attitude.

Blues,

J.E>
James 4:8

8 weeks, 18 weeks or 18 months, if it's what you want, it's worth it.

I agree with that - your right - if it really is what you want, then waiting shouldn't be a problem. Maybe I just don't understand because I personally wouldn't be willing to wait that long for a Javelin. Fords & Chevys. I apologize if i have offended anyone.
=========Shaun ==========

>and unlike the Jav, this rig was made and fit Exactly FOR ME.

A custom ordered Jav is made exactly for the jumper also. I'm not sure what information you are going on there...

Actually Sunpath has a predetermined harness size such as a C-19. When they dermine measurements, they match the predetermined harness size with the customer. It is a good system for them and is efficient. Our system here at Mirage takes longer and maybe is not as efficient, but we take the time to size each harness individually like getting fitted for a nice suit. We feel the end result is much better. JT

I jump a G3 and am really happy with it. I, too, am interested in hearing that story.

A line was caught under a main container groomet couple of years ago, if I recall correctly. There was an article in Skydiving Magazine about it. Anyone remembers more?

:S

No, that was a Reflex

I've heard of "unravlin Javlins"
I've not heard of "malfunctioning Mirages"

Well, some staffers at my DZ recently ordered staff rigs from Mirage. Besides paying through the nose (even with a bulk order discount), three of the four rigs they received had the leg hardware put on upside down. Another friend just ordered a Mirage and it showed up with the chest strap fold-over sewn backwards. Mirage was happy to fix these problems, but it just goes to show that no one is perfect.

Sunpath makes a great rig (I own two) and their wait time is very long. If you don't like the rig or the wait, get something else, it's a free world (mostly).

- Dan G

Sunpath makes different harness based on a few predetermined things. Yoke size, lateral size, main lift web length, and harness rings all play a role in determining how they piece a harness together. I've seen C-20's that have super short laterals (like mine) because the jumper is tall and thin, I've also seen C-20's with large laterals because the jumper was a little plump. With harness measurements availble in half inches for the MLW and 1/4 inches for the laterals there are hundreds of possible combos.

I'm wondering the differences in how Mirage builds or chooses a harness size now.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Well it was 18 weeks. And you could give me a mirage tomorrow and I would not take it. Ok I would take it and sell it. B|

I'm sure it doesnt take 18 weeks to build a rig. It could probably be done in a few hours. Sunpath, however, is not building one rig. They are building thousands. Wait if you want, dont if you dont. It is acceptable if you want a javelin and thats all there is too it. Were not talking about landing rockets on the moon here. We're skydivers. I think we take ourselves a bit too seriously sometimes.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

Well, some staffers at my DZ recently ordered staff rigs from Mirage. Besides paying through the nose (even with a bulk order discount), three of the four rigs they received had the leg hardware put on upside down. Another friend just ordered a Mirage and it showed up with the chest strap fold-over sewn backwards. Mirage was happy to fix these problems, but it just goes to show that no one is perfect.

Sunpath makes a great rig (I own two) and their wait time is very long. If you don't like the rig or the wait, get something else, it's a free world (mostly).

That is what I thought. I myself am a C-17, but am quite happy wearing a c-16 or c-18. Doesn't sound to me like they are fit to your body.
=========Shaun ==========

If you're trying to claim that the Javelin is in anyway an unsafe rig, then you have not done your homework.

I claimed nothing of the sort. On the contrary, I stated that speed of production is not indicative of poor quality.

When an item gets a name though, like "Spinetto" "Hitwave" or "Unravlin" it usually gets it for a reason. My desision not to go with Sunpath was based on the 21 week delivery time, and my answer was based on the thread title. I did mention that I am partisan, did I not?

I don't care how product loyal you are. If I go to a restaurant, and am told I can only be served in 4 hours, I go elsewhere. I think 4 hours is unacceptably long to wait for any meal. I feel the same way about 21 weeks for any rig.

An active jumper at our DZ ordered her Odysey in February, and took delivery in November. She did around 800 dives in the time it took to build that rig. She's happy it's here, and it looks good, and she didn't need it "yesterday" as she has several rigs - but she was still not overjoyed by the wait.

t
It's the year of the Pig.