BASERIGGER

Bridge Day Video

Here's the update, and a few FAQ's to catch up those I didn't speak with at Bridge Day...

We have some really great footage. The crew warmed up very fast, getting into the groove after only a few exits. The camera angle I have been wanting for years (from the ground looking up at the exit point) is well lit and shows opening/staging in spectacular fashion. The landing area footage sucks, as our crew wasn't allowed into the landing area to shoot the perspective I'd have liked. This was partly due to a lack of understanding for the landing area staff. Their job was to keep the landing areas safe - they did a great job, and did what they thought was best in that role. The landing area is probably the least desired view, anyhow - more of a "look it's me!" face shot than looking at skill or technique.

Thanks again, to Consolidated Rigging, as their sponsorship was what made such a large crew doable. CR shares our vision of a technical video, and their generosity has made it possible.

I would prefer to offer this production on DVD for a few reasons. The first is quality, of course. Keeping in mind, the longer the final production, the lower the resolution/quality will have to be, to fit on a single DVD, I'd also like some feedback on the possibility of splitting the video into two DVD's. This will allow a higher quality picture. It may also cost a bit more.

The DVD would also allow better fast-forward and skip-ahead than a VHS tape. This is not as important to most who've given me feedback, but some expressed this as the sole reason they'd invest more for the DVD.

The plan I explained to many of you at the event was pretty simple... If there is enough interest in a DVD, we will send out an e-mail to everyone who indicated interest on the order form. If enough people commit to the additional cost, we would send the masters off for encoding and testing.

This plan also keeps the VHS option on schedule, with the DVD delivered as soon as the additional work is complete.

I have been receiving advice from several channels on other DVD options. Off-the-shelf DVD encoding is very inexpensive, compared to the commercial process. Incompatibility with some players and reduced final quality are the issues that are common among these solutions. If this becomes the only cost-effective DVD option, there would be no guarantees of compatibility with your particular DVD player, and I'd most almost certainly insist the final production be split into two or three DVD's to keep the quality high.

Any feedback can be sent to me by e-mail ([email protected]), here on the forums (Lew checks these frequently), or by PM.

- Cajones

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

This plan also keeps the VHS option on schedule, with the DVD delivered as soon as the additional work is complete.

If the video is only available on NTSC you won't sell very much outside the USA. However a lot of people outside the USA have multi-region players that can play Region 1 DVDs.

Long-winded way of saying : DVD please! :)

Hey

DVD for sure

2 would be better than one,
especially if you're feeling like the giving the people who paid upfront a special rate ;)

thanks for those long thankless hours behind the lens and the countless more after that and all to capture our '15 seconds'.....

cheers

soon to be gone

DVD please.

Thanks, K

PS: Is there an echo in here? I thought we all voted on dvd's back in October after BD.

K

DVD Please ... dont mind payin a few extra $ for the simplicity of being able to find my 15 seconds:ph34r:
Is it Bridge Day Yet ? :-)

Just wanted to bump this and inquire on the date to which we can expect to begin ordering, and ultimately receiving the Bridge Day 2003 ...uummm DVD;)
Thanks!
Blair

Most excellent of you to inquire...

The bulk of the video has been chopped up and best shots have been selected. The time, right now, is over six hours, so I'll have to chop off some of the pre-exit antics and post-landing face-plants to get it under a manageable size. The landings have been shifted to prevent overlap with exits, and we have started the test encodings. I am waiting on some additional footage - if anyone out there has any good footage we could add, I'm sure everyone would appreciate extra views - send me an e-mail - I'd really like to get a copy.

Release/shipping is getting pretty close - within weeks, I'm sure.

The plan prior to Bridge Day was for the DVD to be a "special order" or even more limited "VIP" option released months after the VHS version. As the DVD has been asked for by 100% of you and others I have polled by e-mail, the VHS version will be more of a "special order" option. It will be available in NTSC and in a PAL conversion.

The DVD set will only be $60! This, I think, is a great bargain. The DVD's themselves will be DVD+R, as this seems to have excellent compatibility. There will be no guarantee of compatibility with all DVD players.

This excellent price is only possible because of the generous support of our sponsors. Thanks, especially (and you should thank them, also), to Consolidated Rigging - makers of very smart BASE gear. They, and Jason Bell, enabled us to get several cameras shooting the action, and me to spend hundreds of hours sitting in front of my computer chopping out the stuff you don't want to see.

http://www.vertical-visions.com should be taking orders, soon. Lewmonst (the lovely and talented Mz. Lewis) reads these forums often, so you can post questions here, or you can e-mail either of us.

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

thanks for the update :)
Did you get that footage where the guy asks if his ass is bleeding?

soon to be gone

I'll begin selling the Bridge Day 2003 DVD on both www.vertical-visions.com and www.bridgeday.info about 1-2 weeks before the video is released. I'm in the process of purchasing large quantities of videos from Ed right now.

Yes, we're trying to get Kramer's "is my ass bleeding" video on there.....if Kramer will allow it!;)

PS. If you haven't heard, Vertical Visions will be running Bridge Day 2004-2006. We got a 3-year contract.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

Yes, we're trying to get Kramer's "is my ass bleeding" video on there.....if Kramer will allow it!

That is some priceless video!!

PS. If you haven't heard, Vertical Visions will be running Bridge Day 2004-2006. We got a 3-year contract

yeah!! Congratulations! You guys do an awesome job of running it.

Cya
Chrissy

~La La Gang Member #2~

i already ordered the vhs at bridge day but i would also like the dvd if 1 is made
till later have fun & love each other seeya mb65johnny gates