JustRelax

Some questions about a Wings container order

I am about to order a wings container and would like advise on:

1. I like the BOC option...then which is the best handle do you think?

2. There is a CRW Toggle option..how are they different from the standard and is that a better choice anyway?

I like my hacky. I know others who like their freefly "puds" and still others who prefer a monkey fist. I don't think you'd be unhappy with any of them.

If this will not be a dedicated CRW rig, you don't need (or particularly want) CRW toggles.

I have a Wings with a Cordura BOC and a FF handle. I've jumped a lot of different kinds of rigs in my short time in the sport (just under 4 years) and quite honestly, I think Wings has the best system on the market (atleast for BOC/handles).

The FF handle is larger then the one that RWS uses, so its easier to grap, BUT its freak'n hard-core secure. It's still easy to deploy, though. I have total confidence in the system, even when I'm going over 250mph on my head.

As for the BOC, in the past there were some serious issues with a cordura BOC, but Sunrise Rigging addressed those issues and they haven't had any reports of problems with their system (specifically with no-pulls due to the cordura BOC). Never mind that it's tough as nails.

As for the CRW Toggles...I have no clue.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Not to be the Devil's advocate here but you have 21 jumps (or there about) right? Have you taken into consideration that the rig you want now (based on your canopy size requirements) will not be the rig you want at say 100-150 jumps? Unless money is not a problem what I recommend to my students that they consider finding a used rig (with plenty of help from their rated instructors).

I would hate to see someone buy a new rig and then get rid of it in 100 jumps because it was too big or…

Just my two cents worth...

To answer your question on my 3 rigs (all BOC) I have two hackey sacks and a monkey fist. I like both designs very well.

The FF handle is larger then the one that RWS uses, so its easier to grap, BUT its freak'n hard-core secure. It's still easy to deploy, though. I have total confidence in the system, even when I'm going over 250mph on my head.

What he said - I would definitely recommend the FF handle (AKA pud in other companies). Its designed differently to most in that instead of sticking out from the BOC basically like a square hacky, it slips under the bridal routing flap so it covers the mouth of the BOC.

As its tightly stuffed under a flap, it cannot oscillate in the air flow, (some fear this will tend to work your pilot chute out). Its also very difficult to accidentally catch and it serves as a kind of trap door to the mouth of the BOC protecting you from a premie.

As for Cordura or spandex... I think its personal taste; I heard good about both but went with spandex.

I would hate to see someone buy a new rig and then get rid of it in 100 jumps because it was too big or…

In most containers you can safely put at least one size smaller main in than the container was originally sized for; in many you can safely go two sizes smaller. If someone is planning to downsize more than once in their first 100 jumps (not something I'd recommend to even the most "natural" canopy pilot - y'know, the exceptions to the rule) then I could see your point. But most jumpers are smarter... err aren't good enough at flying their first canopy at 100 jumps to be downsizing more than one size (or downsizing at all yet, but that's a whole different can of worms).

I do agree that used gear is the best choice for most new skydivers. But even if I didn't sell gear for a living, if someone wants their first rig to be all new I'd have assume they have the cash and possibly a good reason - I know quite a few people who have never purchased a used car, why would they purchase used skydiving equipment?

>Have you taken into consideration that the rig you >want now (based on your canopy size >requirements) will not be the rig you want at say >100-150 jumps?

I plan to ask Wings to customise it as a tight fit for the canopies I am getting second hand. Then I can keep the same container when I downsize. If my first main is a 190 then it should go down to a 170, right?

One reason Im going for a new container is that I have a longer than normal torso so if I get a custom rig it will be a better and safer fit, right?

I recently bought a wings and had them make it tight. Its basically for a 170 but I crammed my 190 into it for a dozen jumps. I figure I can downsize to a 150 at some point in the future and given my body size I can't really see me going beyond that for a looong time anyway. Sounds like just the sizing you're looking for. Its a W-13.

If your cramming stuff in A) make sure Sunrise knows and is happy and B) get opinions of experianced jumpers/packers who can watch you pack it and confirm they're happy that it will open (there may be issues with pilot chute in tow and/or container lock if its too tight).

Remeber that packing something into an under sized container is an absolute and unadulterated bitch and not exactly the easiest situation in which to learn.

Paige at Sunrise is very helpful and a regular (hottie) on here.

[reply
I plan to ask Wings to customise it as a tight fit for the canopies I am getting second hand. Then I can keep the same container when I downsize. If my first main is a 190 then it should go down to a 170, right?

Personally, I wouldn't bother telling them to 'make it tight'. I have two wings, and both of them are VERY tight for the canopy that I quoted them. IMHO they size their containers a bit on the tight side already.

I agree with others that used gear is REALLY the way to go for new skydivers (in terms of money). If money is not a factor, then by all means, buy new gear. The real issue for not getting new gear right away is that you probably don't know what you want, or haven't looked around that much. Some rigs fit different body types better than others. I love wings, but have you tried Javs, Mirages, Vectors, Voodoos, Talon RS, Microns, Infinitys? They all fit a bit different.

As for FF handle vs. hackey: for me, it was a no brainer - hackey. The feel of the FF handle just wasn't for me. I was used to hackeys, so that is what I got. Sounds like with the number of jumps you have it probably wont make difference either way. I agree with the others that wings' FF handle setup is top notch.

j

Don't get the CRW toggles unless its a completely CRW rig. CRW toggles are generally MUCH larger and in general a pain-in-the-neck to get packed somewhere where they're not hanging out. Most CRWdogs just leave theirs out since we're not doing a long freefall, but you definitely don't want CRW toggles on a rig where you plan to be doing RW/freefly on.

W

I plan to ask Wings to customise it as a tight fit for the canopies I am getting second hand.

I wouldn't. Wings tends to size the tray a bit small. I would tell them to size it for a 190 and you will find that your 170 will fit in there much better. Mine is sized for a 150. It took 2 people to get my 150 in there the first time I packed it. On some of my first few jumps, when I pitched, it I had major hesitation. I literally elbowed it out a few times. :S It's better now, though I'm sure a 139 or 135 would be a much better fit.

Edited to add: I do LOVE my container though. It fits me like a glove. :)

Mine is sized for a 150. It took 2 people to get my 150 in there the first time I packed it.

Same here, my container is tight, but NOT that tight, however, my D-bag seems a little small for my canopy (Sabre2 150).

I love my Wings anyway. :)

Hey guys. It's Paige from Wings. Honestly, when sizing a container, I do take into consideration if a customer may be wanting or needing to step down in the near, or even not so near, future. Some container sizes are easier to put more of a variety of sizes of canopies in them. I do take into consideration the number of jumps a customer may have when sizing containers. I understand that the fewer the jump number the better the chance that the customer will step down, probably even sooner the he/she expects. When I size a container, I try really hard to take many things into consideration. I even consider the humidity level where joe customer may be trying to pack. When I talk to joe customer on the phone, I even find myself asking, "are you a good packer?" before I try to place them in a container that maybe I could pack but a new jumper couldn't. New Zealand, from what I understand from Gareth at Garlyn Skydiving, is very similar in climate to Florida. He is very knowledgeable about our product and will be very helpful with making your decision to purchase a Wings.

There's also other contributing factors that I take into consideration when sizing a Wings container. If you're a new jumper, I'm aware that you'll probably be stepping down sooner than you think. If you're a good packer or (as much as I hate to say it) you don't pack for yourself, it's easier to place you in a more tight container than if you were gonna be packing for yourself. If we have a doubt that your canopy will or will not fit in a certain size container, we'll test pack it to see if it will go before we build your custom container.

Wings d-bags are designed to fit the container for which they are built. The design of Wings d-bags are different form other manufacturers. I've had two different d-bag designs. My first d-bag was short but wide. It was more difficult to pack, especially when I got my brand new, 0 jump canopy. My second Wings d-bag was more long and narrow. I find it easier to pack. No matter what the design, the d-bag assigned to each container is made to fit in that specific main tray.

The choice between BOC cordura or BOC spandex is purely personal preference. If you choose the cordura pouch, be ready to "pull it like you mean it". I was at Nationals and sent out a demo and I said to the guy just that and instead of listening, he chose to give a weak pull as if it were spandex and wasted plenty of altitude trying to get the pilot chute out. At Rantoul, a customer with a new Wings and a cordura pouch had a cut away because of a hard pull on a cordura pouch. True, you don't have to replace the cordura pouch ever but what's and additional $30 during a repack after 4-500 jumps? Obviously, I prefer the spandex pouch but it's probably about a 50/50 choice among customers.

In reference to the CRW toggles, if you're not concentrating on CRW and only CRW, it's a pure waste of money.

Call me if you have any more questions.

Paige

Looks like I'll go with the Spandex because there seems less chance of any problem, which is my no. 1 priority.

I presume the FF handle still has the same benefit of reducing the chance of a Horseshoe whatever BOC material is used?

I made another thread on the Spandex VS Cordura BOC and noted a thread by Relative Workshop products mentioning that they use something called Spandura, which is a combination material...perhaps other manufacturers will go to that in the future.

I've only seen one person mention the feel of the freefly handle vs. a hackey. I've never used one so I don't really know what it's like. How is it to grab with gloves on? I know some people that use freefly handles and love them, but to me they LOOK harder to grab than a hackey. When I reach back and feel my hackey, I know exactly what I'm grabbing. The freefly handle just looks to me like it would be harder to recognize, especially with gloves on.

Dave

I have a Wings with a Cordura BOC and a hackey, I've had it for about 300 jumps, and pull has always been nice, good resistance but never hard.
As already mentioned in the thread be careful aout asking them to make it tight for the main, as mine was tight in their standard configuration!

Congratulations on your great choice of a fantastic container!!

Well, one of my Wings was bought before you were there, so I think my experience is a bit broader than those that you size. And the 8 wings (in various sizes) at our dropzone all run on the tight side.

While I appreciate the extra thought that you might put into the sizing, I have to say I disagree with that policy in general -- of trying to predict someones canopy progression. There are plenty of folks out there that don't have any desire to downsize, both new or old jumpers.

Additionally, what does 'downsize' mean? If I order a rig for my 108 Nitron, what is downsize? a 90something Nitron, or a 90 something xbraced? If the latter, then there is actually an upsize in pack volume.

Anyway -- my choice is to get exactly what I ask for, size wise. And I still stick by my original advice: don't get a container undersized for the canopy you have unless you know for a fact that you are immediately going to downsize (e.g. a canopy on order).

On a side note (somewhat related), I have found that the rig closes a little different if you are using the inside grommet in the main pack tray vs. the closing loop in the bottom flap (an option).

Oh, one more piece of info on the wings, which may or may not bother you: The chest strap threadthrough is 'backwards' from Jav's and Mirages (and others). Friction adapter is on the left when wearing it. Because I had both Jav and wings, I asked to have it reversed (adapter on the right), so that I wasn't switching back and forth when jumping each rig. Wings did this any issue.

Bottom line, I like wings- that is why I have two of them. Paige and the rest of the SRI crew do focus on customer service, even if the build times stretch a bit long.;)

EDITED TO ADD:

Oh yeah, from what SRI had told me in the past (pre-Paige :)

I jumped a rig with one (not a wings), and it just seemed foreign to me (having jumped a hackey for 3-400 jumps at the time). A hackey is a very distinctive shape (there isn't anything else that is a hard round sphere back there -- if there is, go see a surgeon ;)). The freefly handle was somewhat non-descript in feel. I remember thinking the first time I grabbed it to deploy

"Is this the handle, or the container??"

The hackey is fully symmetrical, while the FF handle is not, so it feels a bit different if you grab it at different angles.

One reason I’m going for a new container is that I have a longer than normal torso so if I get a custom rig it will be a better and safer fit, right?

A long torso or any other body oddity is an excellent reason to get a custom fit by ordering new. I'm sure you will be very happy with your new gear Congratulations in advance. Yes gear that fits well is safer. Having your handles where you expect them to be is a good thing!

You are doing a good thing by seeking advice before you commit to your decisions. I offer this piece of advice as well, be careful as to whom you listen to. Be sure the person offering you advice has the best answer possible. Find a mentor that you trust at your DZ, knowledgeable rigger (preferably not connected with sales), Instructor, S&TA etc.

PS Be safe and don't get in too big of a hurry to downsize. An uninjured skydiver gets more jumps in...;)
Hey guys. It's Paige from Wings...***

Paige, I applaud you for taking the time to address this post. You obviously believe in excellent customer service. Thank you! ;)

I made another thread on the Spandex VS Cordura BOC and noted a thread by Relative Workshop products mentioning that they use something called Spandura, which is a combination material...perhaps other manufacturers will go to that in the future.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Strong Enterprises has been making tandem drogue pouches (really big BOCs) out of Spandura for years now. Spandura is just a heavy-duty version of Spandex and it lasts at least twice as long as the medium-weight Spandex normally used for BOCs.

I've only seen one person mention the feel of the freefly handle vs. a hackey. I've never used one so I don't really know what it's like. How is it to grab with gloves on? I know some people that use freefly handles and love them, but to me they LOOK harder to grab than a hackey. When I reach back and feel my hackey, I know exactly what I'm grabbing. The freefly handle just looks to me like it would be harder to recognize, especially with gloves on.

Hey Dave,

I live in the midwest so know all about jumping with gloves. I also wear gloves full time year round. I am now on my second wings. the freefly handle to me is EASIER to grab and throw out than a hackey ever has. granted I am always a little wierd about stuff like that, and have never ever liked the feel of a hackey. I prefered the plastic handles more than a hackey. my only beef about the FF handle is that sometimes it gets knocked out pretty easily. where as a hackey is always out and you dont have this worry. all in all I would not change my choice but it is something I think about for next time...

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

I've never had a problem with my FF handle coming loose, actually, I can pick my rig up by it, its in there. Its still really easy to deploy, though, even with gloves on. I wear gloves year round to protect my hands, so I know this to be true (for me atleast).B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Skydekker was kind enough to put mine back in after it came out right before we were going to exit on a high speed C130 herc jump at WFFC...it has happened to me...not alot..but often enough. and trust me my rig is TIGHTTTTT....

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....