leroydb

object classification (blimp on a string)

would you classify a Blimp on a rope (weather baloon) an "other" jump?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Kinda of a follow up question... If some one had a tethered balloon, would you be willing to pay to jump it?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

why pay? just get on before it is let up....
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

definitely not a BASE... it's from a flying object... unless you climb and jump from the rope... maybe can be considered as a Span ???
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

but it dosent fly... it floats... there is no flying....
Leroy

I have done many low jumps from rope spans! Is a parachure required for base jumping? Or can I log all the double dutch I did when I was a kid?
...FUN FOR ALL!

Hello,
A 'tethered balloon' is by definition a 'fixed object',
thus qualifies as a BASE jump, logged as 'other'.
Avery
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

I concur. The tether is the determining factor. "O"

On a similar note, does anyone have knowledge of (or can anyone point me to) the FAA's jurisdiction over such matters? Is a tethered balloon (of any construction) regulated by the FAA? I suppose if it is over 200' then it would fall under the obstruction marking and lighting requirements, but provided that is covered... what are the rules?

I have a bunch of mylar and an iron...:D

Gardner

The relevant FAA material is in FAR Part 101.

http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/cfrhtml_00/Title_14/14cfr101_00.html

It talks about Moored Balloons. As far as all my research shows, the FAA does not consider them an aircraft. If they take passengers, then they are governed by individual state amusement ride laws.

Up here in Canada, they are considered an aircraft with many exceptions. I've done a fair bit of research into them over the past year, as my boss has recently purchased one. It was supposed to be operating this summer, (with yours truly doing daily demo jumps from 1000 feet) but logistics with a local municipal governing body put a halt to that. It sits in a warehouse just down the road, taunting me everytime I go by!

Feel free to PM me with any questions you might have, and I'll see what I can tell you.

If the primary characteristic that makes base significantly different from skydiving is the potential for object strike, then this is base. The cable can be struck and it can collapse your canopy. It can kill you.

So it makes no nevermind what anyone calls your jump, but you'd better respect this object with base-like standards of gear, packing, and body position.

(An interesting question is also how high this thing is. If it's 3000' that's more skydive-like. If it's 250', I'm going to laugh at anyone who insists it's a skydive.)

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Would anyone be willing to actually pay to jump a balloon if it was able to make multiple climbs to the end of its tether? Like invite one in for a boogie or a gather at someplace like the legal span in the west?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Hello,
If said 'tethered balloon' is firmly 'fixed' @ 400',
and as narcimund pointed out, the rope is an obstacle,
AND i'm jumping a velcro-closed single-canopy rig,
how could I log it in my 'plane' jumper book?
Avery

It seems like we have this "how would I log this..." type thread about twice a year....

If you have to ask what classification it is, then it isn't B, A, S, or E. It's usually an "O" for OTHER.

However, in my opinion, a tethered ballon is a skydive. The ballon is only temporarily fixed to the ground and it is always moving a little bit relative to the ground. If it's always moving, it isn't truly fixed.

The really funny thing is that the old timers always told me a true BASE jump is one where you leave the bridge with a PACKED canopy. This little rule was in place to prevent some yahoo from logging paragliding type cliff exits. That kinda shoots down all those McConkey jumps as being BASE jumps. But I guess times change. What will our amazing little sport surprise us with next?

Maybe by definition...
But in my book it's a SKYDIVE. From ANY altitude.

(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

You can log your dinner in your plane jumper book if you like. Or your sexual exploits. In case you didn't notice, you BOUGHT the thing and you can do anything you like with it.

You can jump off the curb and log it as a skydive. Or as a base jump. It's your book and you can rub poop on the pages if you like. There are no rules because it's your property!

Base jumpers scorn skydivers because they trade their personal initiative for organization and rules. Sometimes even base jumpers do the same thing.

Personally, I log my base jumps in the same book as my skydives. Who's to tell me not to?

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Hello,
How about this then:
A Motor Home, traveling at 20mph across the Hogg State Bridge,
the vehicle has a 'pilot', the jumpers on top have to 'spot' the load.
Is that a BASE jump?
And from an engineers perspective:
Spans have 'expansion joints', (no, not KGB at the local 420), to allow
for movement, because a bridge is always moving.
Tall buildings are built to move, so the exit point of the Petronas
is in effect always moving.
Those cheesy little antennas are swaying to and fro.
Ever been on a cliff during an earthquake?
The cable car moves, has a 'pilot', and has to be spotted!
Ever jumped from a tree?
They are moving, UP!
I just love these discussions.
You say tomato, I say tomato.
(Don't be dissin' McConkeys, the huckster will get all worked up.)
I think I'll start a thread on the proper way to fold a pilot chute.
I'm sure leroydb has more questions than answers now......
I love you guys.
Avery

rofl avery, you funny. :D:D:D

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

Leroy,

Check out the Australian Base Association website at www.basejump.org they have their own "tethered balloon" which they have used for a couple of BASE boogies. I can't remember whic part of the site it's in, but you'll have fun finding it anyway. ;)

i'm jumping a velcro-closed single-canopy rig,

Do you log pinrigs and velcrorigs in different logbooks?:ph34r::D

Personaly to me a balloon is a balloon and there for not a fixed object,but who cares? do you have fun while jumping this thing?then carry on.

if i jump off a Cessna in low altitude,and i has grass and mudd under my shoes,could i then log it as a Jump from a plane?

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

reading an old post....

However, in my opinion, a tethered ballon is a skydive. The ballon is only temporarily fixed to the ground and it is always moving a little bit relative to the ground. If it's always moving, it isn't truly fixed.

well if you wana get all techy.. a building is designed to sway with the wind, most if not all skyscrapers have counter weights in them. A bridge also moves some what. And to beat it to death... the earth is always moving.... hell and we all know that "A's" move........

dont take this serious... just a random thought
Leroy

Listen to Me you, you Goofy Basterd.

There is no way in Hell a tethered Blimp is a BASE Object.
I have been in the construction buisness all my life.
It is obvious. it is heald to Earth by only a F##king Rope !

BASE Object have a Foundation or Footing that........
* CONNECTS Them To EARTH *

Bridge - Footing or foundation
Antenna - Foundation and Footings for Guy Wires.
Earth - It is its own Foundation.
Building - Both Footings and Foundations.
Dams (are earth) - Is a Retaining Footing.

Footings and Foundations on these objects usually consist of
Thousands of Yards of Concrete. Hundereds or Thousands of Tons
of weight.
Except for Earth, but cement that makes up the structural strength
of Concrete is made from elements from earth.

Don't Make me go on about this subject ! ... I am Right.

[To be read in a synthesized metallic voice]

The universe is expanding constantly therefore we can not consider even the planet which we call our home to be a fixed object.

For this reason I contend that there is no such thing as a BASE jump and you are all smoking crack...

Professor Stephen HawSkin';)
$kin.

Prizes to anyone who gets to read my posts before Mr Aiello's son, Tom deletes them.