beej

3 rings

I heard once that the 3 rings setup was invented by Bill Booth, and he was inspired by a vaguely similar release system that was used to tether hot air ballons to the ground....just wondered if the latter was true...

----------------------------------------------------
If the shit fits - wear it (blues brothers)--

When I started jumping, gear was basically unchanged since the 20's, so it was about time. I just happened to be in the right place, at the right time, with a different way of looking at things. I had never worked for anybody in the parachute industry before, so I simply didn't know that you "couldn't do it that way"...so I did. Once I decided to make a single point release system, I worked night and day until I got it right...and the second I looked at an assembled 3-ring for the first time, I knew I had it. My entire development budget for the 3 ring was about $100, so I had to "fiddle" it together from existing materials. By comparison, the existing standard, the Capewell release, was developed with a government grant of well over one million dollars in the early 50's. (I wish someone would give me a government grant.)

Even before it was public domain, Mr. Booth had available the correct 3-ring design for manufactures to use. That was his choice thus to help manufactures correctly construct the 3-ring assembly to help the safety in the sport.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

When I started jumping, gear was basically unchanged since the 20's, so it was about time. I just happened to be in the right place, at the right time, with a different way of looking at things. I had never worked for anybody in the parachute industry before, so I simply didn't know that you "couldn't do it that way"...so I did. Once I decided to make a single point release system, I worked night and day until I got it right...and the second I looked at an assembled 3-ring for the first time, I knew I had it. My entire development budget for the 3 ring was about $100, so I had to "fiddle" it together from existing materials. By comparison, the existing standard, the Capewell release, was developed with a government grant of well over one million dollars in the early 50's. (I wish someone would give me a government grant.)

We have an old rig with the capewell thing.
Not cool.
You would die by the time you released the main and managed to get your reserve out.
God bless you man:)~
I've had 2 rides to date, and that nice 3-ring is a beautiful thing.
BS,
Sue E.

Not cool.
You would die by the time you released the main and managed to get your reserve out.

I've told you a million times not to exaggerate.

Seriously, it is not that hard. You should have more confidence in your abilities.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Not cool.

I've told you a million times not to exaggerate.

Seriously, it is not that hard. You should have more confidence in your abilities.

Not sure who you are dude.(?)
I do have confidence in my abilities.

Not sure who you are dude.(?)
I do have confidence in my abilities.

No offense intended.

You said that you would die by the time you released the main.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

If he had been jumping the warped, rusted-shut Capewells that were issued to students in my day, he would have impacted before he had time to cutaway and pull his reserve.
I am mighty glad those poorly-maintained antiques have been replaced by 3-Rings.
I believe that the primary reason 3-Rings have endured is because they have such wide margins of error.

If he had been jumping the warped, rusted-shut Capewells that were issued to students in my day, he would have impacted before he had time to cutaway and pull his reserve.

I jumped one version of Capewells that required that you:
1) Look/locate
2) Flip up the dust cover to expose the cable loops.
3) Stick your thumbs through the loops and pull downwards.

You have to do this for each side.
Definitely a lot harder and slower than 3 rings.

All of that stuff was before my time and only jumped as a novelty.
It's hard to believe that the above system was actually an improvement over some others that were used.

I'd like to see and learn about more release systems.
Look for a new thread to post pics on if you've got them.
-Josh
If you have time to panic, you have time to do something more productive. -Me*
*Ron has accused me of plagiarizing this quote. He attributes it to Douglas Adams.

I am mighty glad those poorly-maintained antiques have been replaced by 3-Rings.

I certainly agree that Capewells had some maintenance issues. Once I was doing my gear check before putting it on, and a helpful visiting rigger noticed that the rivets were loose. As he clenched them down, he explained that when loose they can jam if subjected to a side load, such as when both sides are not released at the same time. I had a little less respect for my rigger after that. It was his job to check for this type of thing during a repack. The capewell release is part of the harness, after all.

Rusted Capewells (not moving smoothly) is also a serious negligence issue, in my opinion.

Do you think riggers back then were not likely to inspect and fix something if it did not relate specifically to the reserve?

It's hard to believe that the above system was actually an improvement over some others that were used.

The 'loop' type Capewells were called 'shot and a half' style.

The '2 shot' style were indeed much worse. Instead of pulling on the wire loop, you had to squeeze a 2-sided plunger (with your thumb and index finger, yes - from both sides) to be able to rotate/actuate the release.

At my DZ, rigs with the 2 shot systems were reserved for use with reserves that did not have a pilot chute (since you weren't supposed to cutaway with those reserves).

You really had to want to jump to use that junk.

Mr Booth's 3 ring cutaway system was a big improvement from the previous systems.

However just because the other systems were older and less user friendly I wouldn't call them junk. They served their purpose and worked well enough that our opening altitude was still 2000 ft.

R.I.P.
---

However just because the other systems were older and less user friendly I wouldn't call them junk. They served their purpose and worked well enough that our opening altitude was still 2000 ft

They were junk, but they were all we had. As for their purpose, Capewells, Rocket Jets and other military fittings were never intended to be used for in air cutaways.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals