paulca

Mindset for newbie jumper

So... as per my first post here I survived my first jump.

I have decided to at least 2, hopefully 3 before I decide if it's for me or not.

Basically the flying down in the parachute I love to bits, but the 2-3 seconds of falling on the static line I found totally terrifying.

I think it's normal but for my first jump I simply blocked thinking about "what would happen" out the door and just thought about my training and "what I had to do".

So I basically got a nasty shock when I found myself falling with my brain screaming in terror and anger at me demanding to know what the hell was I thinking and why I just threw myself out of a plane! All the fear I had suppressed exploded inside me, I even forgot I had a parachute!

Now... for the second jump I need to think about conditioning myself to make it out the door, but at least remain compus mentus enough to actually count loud enough for the jump master to here me this time and remember I have a parachute that should start to open soon and not to panic!

Third jump I hope to maybe start enjoying it! If there is no hint of that, then I may consider paragliding to me more my thing!

Any tips or mantras for regulating the fear to a healthy level, somewhere between blocking it all and scaring myself into being a "no jump"?

Paul

Hi,

During climb - first think about your tasks on following jump. After quick repeate of tasks you could try taking slow breaths in and out. Try counting to 10 (in your mind) while taking breath in and try counting 10 while breathing out, this will also slow down your pulse. When it is time to go - try to enjoy it. You can try screaming something like yeeeehaaaa while exiting. B| When canopy opens you can be a prowd, because definition of courages is doing something while still being scared of it.:P

I had the exact same thing first jump ;) I did static line too. The first one was the most scared I have ever been in my whole life. It was not until I was under a full canopy looking at 3 line twist's that my mind accepted that I hadn't just killed myself! counting went out of the window! Untwisted the lines, control check and uneventfull stand up landing :) Anyway, twisted knee and cut up hand will make you learn! I'm going back tomorrow to nail my exit, count, and land properly so I can move on to dummy pulls! Good luck with your training.
p.s paul? was I on your 1st jump load by any chance B|

It was not until I was under a full canopy looking at 3 line twist's that my mind accepted that I hadn't just killed myself!
p.s paul? was I on your 1st jump load by any chance B|

Snap, but... luckily I only had a single 180* twist. I found it rather calming is a sick kind of way... "Fear, you need to leave me now, as you will be of no help here", then sort out the twists.

My first jump load was me, 2 dummy pulls and a 3rd timer. Current DZ is Garvagh in Northern Ireland.... thankfully no rivers around, but avoiding cow pats is "optimal!" in the trainee LZ.

My girl friend (2nd Jump) went on the lift before me and had the horrifying experience of watching her mate stall in the door, change his mind about 3 times, decide he WAS NOT going to jump and fell out while clawing at the plane door to get back in! Ughf! Would have put me right off!

Paul
Edit: spelling.

I don't jump anywhere near as much as I would like and still get the butterflys on the first jump of the day.

As jerolim said, try to control your breathing and try to enjoy the experience. I find that visualizing the jump in my head also helps. On the ride up close your eyes and visualize a clean climb out, a good exit and presentation, a strong positive count and then a nice open canopy above your head - then do it for real - but don't get too upset with yourself if it's not as perfect as you visualized, you are still a student after all.

Relax, have fun, enjoy and BREATHE.

I did static line and early on, it scared the crap out of me. It's normal. After my 3rd which felt like I was walking out to face a firing squad I basically just decided that I wasn't going to let fear dictate what I did in life. I took to visualising the perfect jump, from getting on the plane, the ride up, exit, deployment, flying, landing, the lot. With a focus on performing all of that in a state of zen like calm. I visualised while sat on the khazi, in the bath, at work, at tea breaks and in the plane on the way up. It didn't stop the nerves altogether but I never again felt the need for a blindfold and a last cigarette.

Your description of your first jump is exactly as I remember my first static line jump in 1978. I would be surprised if anybody has a significantly different memory of their first static line jump.

What I am saying is you are completely normal and progressing exactly like 99% of skydivers. Keep up the enjoyment.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

Your description of your first jump is exactly as I remember my first static line jump in 1978. I would be surprised if anybody has a significantly different memory of their first static line jump.

What I am saying is you are completely normal and progressing exactly like 99% of skydivers. Keep up the enjoyment.

Bingo! B|

Skydiving is something I had always wanted to 'try'...the first static-line jump was for me as it is for most, total sensory overload.

Everything went as advertised and I landed safely under a T-10 in a cornfield...I was pleased I'd overcome the fear but it was disconcerting that I didn't really remember the first several seconds of the jump.

The other 1st times on the load was a Marine buddy just home from Vietnam, when the I asked if 'we' were ready to do it again he of course snapped his heels and said YES SIR!

Homnia homnia homnia was about all I could say but we geared up and went again...THAT jump hooked me for life! :D

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I just did my second last week and I'm driving down tonight to get in at least two more jumps early tomorrow for my AFF training.

I still have butterflies, but I just keep visualizing in my head what I need to do and going over the what-if scenarios for parachute malfunctions that they drill into our head first thing every morning on the practice harnesses.

Once I get to the door and do my hotel check I just think to myself "FUCK IT HERE WE GO!".

I love the freefall but it's hard to get my mind to slow down and move smoother. Although with my last jump I managed to get my breathing under control and relax a bit. Now I just need to remember to keep my feet extended properly and not up by my ass.

Life's too short for boredom and those couple of seconds after you jump out of the plane are the farthest thing from the mundane aspects of life you can get, embrace that fear and realize that a lot of people can't do what we do.
The feather butts bounce off ya like raindrops hitting a battle-star when they come in too fast...kinda funny to watch. - airtwardo

Yup! :)
I can't remember anything of my first static line jump - complete sensory overload. The second one terrified me...

It started getting fun after that. :D

Welcome to the club!

Same with me when I first tried to get into the sport long ago (10 jumps). More recently I did AFF, and at least for me, much prefer that program. Static line felt like trying to get into a cold pool one inch at a time (dip your toe, go back and think about it; dip half your foot, go back and think about it; etc.). With AFF you pretty much get it all over with on one jump. (it helps to have done a tandem prior to that).

the first static-line jump was for me as it is for most, total sensory overload. .......

I was pleased I'd overcome the fear but it was disconcerting that I didn't really remember the first several seconds of the jump.

Exactly the same for me. The only reason I made my second jump was because I had no fucking idea what happened on the first.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

the first static-line jump was for me as it is for most, total sensory overload. .......

I was pleased I'd overcome the fear but it was disconcerting that I didn't really remember the first several seconds of the jump.

Exactly the same for me. The only reason I made my second jump was because I had no fucking idea what happened on the first.

Yup. I remember being out on the step, and "Go!". Then I was hanging in silence under a T-10. I have zero memory of anything that occurred in between.

My girl friend (2nd Jump) went on the lift before me and had the horrifying experience of watching her mate stall in the door, change his mind about 3 times, decide he WAS NOT going to jump and fell out while clawing at the plane door to get back in! Ughf!

LOL

That's awesome.
But did he like it once he fell out???

I'm still new at all of this but I remember to smile right before I get in the door. It helps me to relax and it's also part of the "fuck it, time to have some fun" mentality. I also like to close my eyes starting @ 6k and imagine the whole dive. My AFF jumps 1-6 (before I went to the tunnel) I practiced things so many times on the ground that when I jumped I just went to autopilot got it done.

Breathe
Smile
Shake out the arms
Jump

Plan the dive, dive the plan.

Well, I did it again :) On Sunday. I was much more nervous on the ground before hand, more scared on the plane trip up. But again I just started focusing on what to do, not what would happen.

Nearly fell out, getting into position in the door, nearly pulled out by the drag on my feet and... it occurs to me as strange this didn't actually scare me! Clearly insane.

A little fluffy cloud appeared on my side in front and below and I was wondering if the dispatcher would wait, but .. "GOOO!!!!". Gone.

WhoosHHRRRRRRRRR. Straight into the cloud, cold, wet, ping-pong ball white out!

This time I managed to contain the fear with the count, because key ingredient was I remembered the parachute was coming this time, I was aware of stuff :) Much more gentle opening, no big jolt or swing forward ... just a gentle rumble and increasing pressure, slight rotation to the right.... big, square and no twists.

"Right, time to have some fun, yea, ha!"

Managed to actually do all my drills this time, a few 360s for fun, see my girlfriend jump from the plane and her chute appear then fly fairly decent approach Nearly landed in a hedge, came down short about 10 ft from it.

Log entry was better than last exit, still "Flat position and postman being robbed spread". Dispatcher said I jumped in fear, but... I jumped. I should be more aggressive, not angry, but aggressive. Sounds about right.

I've only tandem jumped and stayed pretty relaxed the entire way up until we were in freefall. Then the adrenaline kicked in and everything slowed down for me. I thought we were falling for about 10 minutes and had to keep looking down to make sure we had plenty of room. ha!

I've done some pretty crazy things and when I would fight, I would focus on controlling my breathing beforehand to conserve energy, stay calm, and keep the adrenaline from kicking in. I would tense up my hands and spread my fingers as wide as they could go, then immediately relax them. It would feel great when your body is trying to tense up, but your mind focuses on how good your hands feel when you relax them. Try it next time. And definitely go over what you're supposed to do. Visualizing is everything. You can't really panic if you were expecting it.

....Life's too short for boredom and those couple of seconds after you jump out of the plane are the farthest thing from the mundane aspects of life you can get, embrace that fear and realize that a lot of people can't do what we do.

I just found my mantra. :)