TomAiello

Ascenders on Legal Bridges

I'm transcribing this from a PM I sent, with permission. I thought there might be a couple other people interested in this info. The discussion is regarding the use of static line and ascenders to get back to the exit on legal spans, specifically on a particular legal span in the western United States.

...how easy is it to get back to the exit point from the landing area?

There is a commercial shuttle service that runs a boat and car shuttle to the top. It costs around $7 and takes about ten minutes. Even if it seems too expensive, I'd hire them, because that puts a boat under the bridge for rescue in the event of an accident. I know that the boat saved my own life on one occasion, when I fractured several vertebrae on a low pull there. They have also saved two others.

Why don't they use ropes/ascenders like aid climbers do?

Six reasons:

1) CR (and BR, and Morpheus...) teaches BASE, not climbing, or rope ascension, or anything else. They do this intentionally, because adding yet another new skill (and scary experience) to a First Jump Course would be foolish.

2) The state engineer has requested that nothing be attached to the bridge. This is one of the very few hard and fast rules there.

3) The presence of the boat greatly increases safety for accident response. If a first jump student lands in the water, you want a boat to fish them out. More important, if you land in the water hurt (I know of two broken backs [including mine] and a fractured pelvis that have landed in the water), the boat can pull you out and call 911. That way, you get an ambulance at the dock in five minutes--instead of a life flight helicopter and a swiftwater rescue team in the river in an hour.

4) By hiring the boat, you contribute to the local economy, giving the residents a good financial reason to protect jumping on the bridge. The boat owners have shown up at more than one city council meeting arguing on our behalf.

5) A rope hanging from the bridge would present a strike hazard to an off-heading canopy. There are rappel lines under the bridge on Bridge Day, and they have been struck by canopies on several occasions, putting both the rappeller and the jumper in danger.

6) Purchasing the necessary static line and ascenders represents a significant additional expense.

600 feet wouldn't be that hard to ascend with high quality ascenders.

It would certainly take a lot longer than the boat ride, though, and it would be a lot more effort. If you don't want to pay for the boat, just hike out--that only takes 20 minutes or so.

This is my question, are ascenders used for this type of legal jumping?

Not usually. And for good reason.

It would seem you could get a whole lot more jumps in one day than if you had to take a boatride and a hike up and out.

What makes it seem that way? I'd guess that someone trying to ascend will make about half as many jumps as a boat rider, and will be far more tired (and hence likely to make mistakes) at the days end.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

not only all of that, but a person can hike straight up out of the canyon and be at the top in less than 15 min. if you know the route. for anyone who has enough experience to jug 480' it ought not be any trouble at all to find the route... just watch the choss ;)
gardner

Thanks for the info tom, I guess I didn't understand how little of a hassle getting back to the exit point was. Seven bucks isn't bad at all. Always grateful for any help. :)

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

[QUOTE]not only all of that, but a person can hike straight up out of the canyon and be at the top in less than 15 min[/QUOTE]

I imagine if you were in shape this would be an excellent way for a beginner (or anyone) to reflect on his jump quietly and peacefully, nice.

let my inspiration flow,

I think it also has to do with ownership.
The way I understand it, The highway department owns the top of the bridge, and someone else owns the steel structure. The 'someone else' doesn't like BASE and has made it illegal to even step on the structure beneath. This is why it's illegal to jump from the steel.

all that said, having the boat is a huge benefit in the final risk analysis... I'd rather have it there wishing I didn't have to pay for it than not have it there and be willing to pay for it. A boat in the water is a good thing/good sense.

Gardner

I know a certain tattooed Australian who was doing six in a day, hiking out, last summer. I think he made 300 or so from that span in just over three months. That's what happens when you take a starving man to a feast.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

[QUOTE]all that said, having the boat is a huge benefit in the final risk analysis... I'd rather have it there wishing I didn't have to pay for it than not have it there and be willing to pay for it. A boat in the water is a good thing/good sense. [/QUOTE]

Definitely, I think as Tom mentioned in case of an emergency the people in the boat would be great insurance, since they've handled those types of situations probably numerous times (unfortunately:|)

I think the boat would make the jumping much more enjoyable. Thanks for the info guys, good discussion.

let my inspiration flow,

I would think that for alot of BASE jumpers the hike is a welcomed part of it. As a backcountry skiier and snowboarder, I do get into the hike and use it as time for myself. This is one of the reasons BASE attracts me, I would love to combine my obsession of hiking in Utah with my obsession of parachuting.

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

I would think that for alot of BASE jumpers the hike is a welcomed part of it.

You'd be surprised how fat and lazy most of us are. :D
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

my climbs(only done A´s)i use the time to my self,i only once tryed it were too much,it were when i climbed 900ft.. It took me 1 hour it were a solo,and i desided that i NEVER will do a solo climb to such high anymore... :ph34r:But now is A´s different than the nature,i guess i would walk longer for it while i could see i moved toward the target..

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Hey Freaky, I'm with you, and I'm not alone. Many base jumpers enjoy the work involved in getting a jump. Yes, Tom is right about the lazy chunky types, but there are heaps of jumpers who like to hike and climb. The preparation and effort it takes to get to the exit only add to the overall experience. Somehow it feels better to gear up after having charged up a 3 hour hike, or after setting a personal best up the ladder. Our crew always competes for bragging rights, the best time up the ladder holds almost as much weight as being low puller when it comes to the post jump twist session.
Love the hike, love the climb. It's only one way for cripes sake!
The way I figure it, any time saved climbing the ladder is that much more sleep time. Last time: 1450 ft in 36 minutes.

Last time: 1450 ft in 36 minutes.

Slow elevator huh?
Damnit climbing that high in that time would kill most people....(well atleast me:ph34r:)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Right on - not knowing Tom, but having been a huge fan for a good solid couple of years, I'll be he doens't mind hiking ;)

Its akin to the difference between backcountry snowriding and going to the resort I'd imagine. Gimme my backcountry any day over the craziness at them resorts!

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

Right on - not knowing Tom, but having been a huge fan for a good solid couple of years, I'll be he doens't mind hiking

Given the choice between hiking and a boat ride... I'll take that bet B|
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Last climb 1450ft in 36 minutes.
WOW, that is a hell of a climb!I am a tower tech,i.e. I climb towers every day. I think I would have a hard time beating your time. You must be in excellent shape!
I was wondering if you guys use a safety climb on the outside climbs or if they are too expensive/too much hassle?Most every tower has a cable and they are easy too use.they can be purchased on E-Bay for as little as $20 and are good insurance against a slip.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

Nice! I'm climbing up AND down a 650' ladder (just to get in shape) in about 41 (best) to 48 (second best) minutes using three points of contact for safety at all times. I usually take a short break at midway, and longer break at the top, then again a break to shake out at midway down. These are included in the times.

Do you just use two points? I mean when you reach up with your right arm, do you also raise a leg? Or do you do what I do: raise an arm, hold with that hand, raise the leg and weight the foot, lift second foot, then next hand up to next place beyond. over and over - 3 points always on safely.

I imagine you could really cruise much faster if you had confidence to go with only two points of contact. I think next time I'll climb two points until I start to feel the burn, then switch - that might help speed as long as I don't flash pump.

Climb Fast, Sleep Longer :)

Cheers,

CP

I bow to your superior climbing ability. I have climbed 250-300 in 5-7 minutes on more than a few occasions, but there is no way I could keep up that pace through a tall climb like that. Even though 40FPM is really fast it still isn't as nice as a 100FPM elevator. ;)
Naked BASE 15

That's nothing. I can do HALF that in TWICE as long. Oh, wait...
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

I'd like to see him climb an antenna, I imagine he'd make us all look fat and slow.

I'd be up for seeing this too. How could you spend so much time on big walls and not get the urge to jump?

edit: by request of original poster

Actually, he has just that! I was around while he was recently skydiving. He found himself a very cool BASE jumping AFF jump master and it seems there's some BASE intentions deep in his heart.

Cool dude, very very laid back and relaxed easy attitude. You'd never know he was a famous climber. Most are so cocky and self righteous.

CP

Cool dude, very very laid back and relaxed easy attitude. You'd never know he was a famous climber. Most are so cocky and self righteous.

He has certainly taken several aspects of the climbing game up a notch or two, and done it with style and grace...Bold!

It'd be interesting to see how he takes to BASE. There's a surprisingly small crossover (at least historically) between the two sports. Bongard, of course Leavitt, and a few more here and there (yours truly included, though not at a climbing level of the really big dogs). My old theory is that climbing scratches a different itch than BASE.

Nowadays, I think there's as many BASE folks getting into climbing as the reverse - interesting. I hope to someday see climbers get more attuned to BASE, as to those of us who do both seriously it is a nice itegrative aspect: climbing up, jumping down. Perhaps in time this crossover of the two sets will increase, with benefits to both sports.

My best time up 890 is 18 minutes, not world-beating but not bad for a fat old Dog. I use a two-on climbing style, almost certainly a crossover from years as a climber.

Peace,

D-d0g

ps: jugging sucks, I'd rather hike or better yet take the boat and chat with Bert and Don. . . besides, Frasier gets to chill in the boat and watch us jump :)
pps: no, Tom, some of us wouldn't be surprised at all! :ph34r: There's an old Tami Knight t-shirt that simply reads "I Used To Be Hard," that about sums it up for me. :S 18 years as a climber and these old bones ain't what they used to be. . . much easier to fall off stuff than to climb up it, for sure.

+~+~+~+~
But this, surely, was the glory that no spirits, canine or human, had ever clearly seen, the light that never was on land or sea, and yet is glimpsed by the quickened mind everywhere.

love the climb. It's only one way for cripes sake!

I wish!!! 2003 so far: 5 jumps, 5 climb downs and coming down hurts more!

Jules

Nowadays, I think there's as many BASE folks getting into climbing as the reverse - interesting. I hope to someday see climbers get more attuned to BASE, as to those of us who do both seriously it is a nice itegrative aspect: climbing up, jumping down. Perhaps in time this crossover of the two sets will increase, with benefits to both sports.

How timely is this? ;)

I've taken to going to the local rock gym a couple times a week with some skydiving buddies. 460 & I have been kicking around merging the two activities because they seem to go hand-in-hand.

In some ways, climbing the object you're going to jump seems to me to be sort of in the spirit of what BASE is about (at least for me).

I climb As all the time, but you guys are posting some seriously impressive times. I just started tracking times more closely and I think my best is 600 feet in about 30 minutes. :P

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

I've edited the name of a specific student BASE jumper out of this thread by request.

Even if folks are in magazines for other things, they still may not like having their name connected with BASE.

Thanks.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com