JasonCT13

Traveling on Airline with Rig

I will soon be traveling to sunny Florida for the Christmas holiday, and am planning on jumping while I am down there. I am traveling by airline, and I am wondering what the best way to take my rig with me. Can I carry it on? If so, will the airline give me a hard time? Should I pack it in my bag?

I think USPA has a link to the TSA policy for travelling with your rig. The down-side is that TSA can dump your reserve if they want to. The upside is you have to be present if they are going to (small consolation unless you're a rigger). I've taken my rig on airlines post 9-11 and only had my gear back inspected. The bigger problem is the airline potentially losing your luggage (rig). Have fun on vacation.

why does someone ask this question every other day

Maybe he want to tell us that he's off on holiday soon... Oh - so am i :P

Seriously - checkout the TSA www site for info
www.tsatraveltips.us
or this one
www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1147.xml

I know it's not attractive - but i couldn't be arsed to make it nice and clicky
-----------------------
Connextion: British 8 Way Team
www.bodyflight.co.uk
-----------------------

Just to let everyone know, I flew from Chicago (ORD) to Fort Meyers with my rig on 12/20. The rig went through xray (for carryon) and they didn't give it a second look. I was prepared though, with info from TSA and USPA websites, the cypres book and card, and my USPA card and riggers ticket.
This was a day before the terrorist level was set to high though, we'll see going back on 1/1/04.
It was in a gear bag with no other equipment other than the alti-II on the legstrap.
I was quite surprised they didn't even slowdown the conveyor through the xray machine.
Troy

I am now free to exercise my downward mobility.

I am really hoping this elevated threat level will not complicate my trip to Eloy in 8 days... I have never had to deal with TSA yet.. this will be my pre-second trip on a commercial airline with a rig as carry on.

Nice try, Jeannie.

BEEEEEEEERRRRRRRR
"We saved your gear. Now you can sell it when you get out of the hospital and upsize!!" "K-Dub"

"

Just carry it on board! Make sure you have the TSA and cypress paperwork handy to show at the inspection line. I went to Fl. over Thanksgiving without any problems (leave your hook knife home). When boarding the MD-80 the line stopped near the cockpit, the flight crew was just behind me. The co-pilot asked "What's that over his shoulder?". The pilot replied-"Looks like a Reflex to me." Yup, no problems on this flight.

I work for the airlines and travel with my rig fairly regularly. Of course do everything mentioned thus far. Also, right before my rig goes through the x-ray machine I just give the TSA dude watching the screen a quick heads up that a parachute is coming through so he's not so surprised with the weird picture coming at him. 9 times out 10 they don't do a thing, sometimes they might just do a quick swab for explosives.