Skyper

Getting bored with skydiving leading to safety issues

after reading some incidents reports I come to conclusion that people take more risc out of boredom - and they die. They don't enjoy parachuting as it is and they try to "cross the border" to something bigger or trying to search for new challenges... forgetting that parachuting is by definition very dangerous sport.

among these there are:

1. downsizing to minuscule canopy sizes
2. swooping
3. taking more and more riscs on each swoop
4. trying "new" things in free flying without prior serious safety consideration, planning or training
5. mounting camera on every jump
6. speed skydiving
7. and the extreme form of boredom refuge is BASE

the list goes probably on and on...

I would argue that skydiving in general is done because people are bored with other activities. If another activity was just as fun or more fun with no risk at all, only an idiot would go skydiving instead of the other activity. Unfortunately, I as well as most others I believe haven't found this activity yet.

after reading some incidents reports I come to conclusion that people take more risc out of boredom - and they die. They don't enjoy parachuting as it is and they try to "cross the border" to something bigger or trying to search for new challenges... forgetting that parachuting is by definition very dangerous sport.

among these there are:

2. swooping
4. trying "new" things in free flying without prior serious safety consideration, planning or training
6. speed skydiving

First off, there are plenty of people that make a living flying video, not because they want to live on the edge.

Second, its RISK not risc:P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

and then you have people who are sooo bored with skydiving AND taking risks for themselves that they start rigging :D

Hey, atleast now I know if my rigger was drunk when my reserve was packed. :|

:D:D:D:D:D:D

(no, I don't drink and rig, might spill the booze on the reserve>:()
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

If another activity was just as fun or more fun with no risk at all, only an idiot would go skydiving instead of the other activity.

That's about the most asinine statement I think I have ever read on here! :S

I personally, participate in SEVERAL OTHER absolutely exhilarating (to me) activities. Some that get my heart pounding and my "juices flowing" on a routine basis actually much GREATER than skydiving.

I also still skydive AS WELL, on a quite regular/active basis.
Guess I must be one of those "idiots" of which you speak? :S
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

thats a pretty ignorant take on the sport. "action" or "extreme" sports are built upon the foundation of progression. skydiving isnt alone in this trend, and as sports progress to more dangerous levels, youll get people who arent ready to push through those boundaries, attempting to do the newest thing and getting wrecked. just because you arent a fan of progression, doesnt mean you should nay say the people who get excitement out of pushing the envelope. at the end of the day, this sport isnt golf and is inherintely dangerous even if you do everything by the book.
"its just a normal day at the dropzone until its not"

thats a pretty ignorant take on the sport. "action" or "extreme" sports are built upon the foundation of progression. skydiving isnt alone in this trend, and as sports progress to more dangerous levels, youll get people who arent ready to push through those boundaries, attempting to do the newest thing and getting wrecked. just because you arent a fan of progression, doesnt mean you should nay say the people who get excitement out of pushing the envelope. at the end of the day, this sport isnt golf and is inherintely dangerous even if you do everything by the book.

hmm. I was talking about something else - about being borred in combination with "just do it" mentality. That mix can be deadly.

Ppl sometimes see "the guy" and think "wow it looks easy... I can do it too..." but they probably don't have a clue how much time and effort "the guy" invested in that act...

If skydiver is bored with skydiving maybe it's good idea to take a training and controlled progression into some specific discipline or doing something else (BASE included). But please DON'T JUST DO IT!

among these there are:

2. swooping
6. speed skydiving

I "wish" this was true...but unfortunately I am not convinced..:|:)
But what do I know...not even a student yet..

hmm. I was talking about something else - about being borred in combination with "just do it" mentality. That mix can be deadly.

Ppl sometimes see "the guy" and think "wow it looks easy... I can do it too..." but they probably don't have a clue how much time and effort "the guy" invested in that act...

If skydiver is bored with skydiving maybe it's good idea to take a training and controlled progression into some specific discipline or doing something else (BASE included). But please DON'T JUST DO IT!

This sounds like a very good advice! I will remember that whenever I find myself at a DZ.

I suspect skydiving is not the best sport to "learn the hard way".

this sport isnt golf and is inherintely dangerous even if you do everything by the book.

Why did you have to say that..;)

Even if things could change while looking down from 12500 feet, I do really not feel afraid to go skydive in about 2 weeks.

But is it really just a question of WHEN and not IF you are destined to hit ground too fast..?

(Wow..tripple-posting..)

Boy have you got a lot to learn. OP brought up some very valid points. And if you take the time to read it he talking about people “pushing the envelope” as you call it before they have the experience or the skill set. I believe he is talking about jumpers getting bored and doing stupid shit. Spend some time reading the fatality data base and get a realistic prospective of this sport that isn’t golf.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

this sport isnt golf and is inherintely dangerous even if you do everything by the book.

Why did you have to say that..;)

Even if things could change while looking down from 12500 feet, I do really not feel afraid to go skydive in about 2 weeks.

But is it really just a question of WHEN and not IF you are destined to hit ground too fast..?

(Wow..tripple-posting..)

I don't believe that it is a case of when. If I truly believed that I would die skydiving I would stop. I do understand that I COULD die and I do my best to stay safe.

I believe the OP is correct in that people add additional risks over time. However if you stayed with the truly safest skydive - you would probably be doing solo hop and pops at 5000 feet on a large student canopy. I believe that would get boring fairly quickly. So we rationalise and increase the complexity of dives to keep them fun, despite the fact that it adds risk in varying degrees.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

among these there are:

2. swooping
6. speed skydiving

Yer goofy, dood. ID yourself and we'll talk. Otherwise, troll on.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

It's your wish to post your private info inhere and I respect that. It 's my wish (and right) not to do it. If you cannot deal with it u just avoid the topic please.

It's your wish to post your private info inhere and I respect that. It 's my wish (and right) not to do it. If you cannot deal with it u just avoid the topic please.

Since you're on the subject, I have zero respect for people who hide behind anonymity. If you won't identify yourself, your opinions mean nothing.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

among these there are:

2. swooping
6. speed skydiving

I don't think your intent (which you've since clarified) was apparent in your first post. I was originally confused as to why you only included the bolded part above on one of the seven items in your list, but now it sounds like you intended for that to apply to all of the above.

In other words your observation boils down to, "people want to do what they think is cool and a lot of times they're lazy and in a hurry to get there and that leads to getting hurt and/or killed." which isn't really news.