johooz

LODI wingsuit ban

Last weekend I heard some rumors about wingsuits in Lodi beeing banned again. Came from a californian jumper I met at ITW...

As we are a group of jumpers that would like to visit Lodi in July and would also like to fly our wingsuits there, could some locals give any updates on the current situation?
So we may change plans if it stays like this...

Thanks, Cheers Joggl

Good solution IMHO. Much better than a ban. 200 jumps to start with WS is the minimum anyway. FFC is certainly recommended. Plus a specific DZ briefing for WS (they had that before, sticker on the rig just like in Elsinore).

Lodi not being a USPA DZ being leading edge and pragmatic here! Thanks Bill.

That poster was of the old rules. The added on "unless you're bill" shows that the complete ban is still in place until bill says otherwise. I'm not super hopeful at the moment. Sucks because some amazing wingsuiting has been done there over the years.

hjumper33

I am not super hopeful...Sucks because some amazing wingsuiting has been done there over the years.

Dislike! That explains why Lodi's Facebook page just got back to me with: "too many friend requests pending..."
Sad to hear this. It should encourage the more experienced wingsuiters to integrate newbies safely and unregulated professionally by all of us. I would hate to see a virus spread among DZOs now!

gzimmermann

***I am not super hopeful...Sucks because some amazing wingsuiting has been done there over the years.

Dislike! That explains why Lodi's Facebook page just got back to me with: "too many friend requests pending..."
Sad to hear this. It should encourage the more experienced wingsuiters to integrate newbies safely and unregulated professionally by all of us. I would hate to see a virus spread among DZOs now![/quote

Too late. We're 1700% greater bannings than we were 5 years ago, thanks to the blind leading the blind.
Check out the USPA financial report, BTW...

If you guys read the rest of the poster, it says,
"UNLESS...

1. You have 200 skydives minimum for flying a wingsuit or 75 minimum for flying a tracking suit.

2. You have completed a Wingsuits First Flight Course from a qualified Coach, and have logged signature of completion.

3. You recieved a wingsuit or tracking suit flight briefing.

4. You understand you MUST LAND ON THE AIRPORT.

No Exceptions"

It's not banned. They're just using some USPA rules and regulations like most other dropzones.

Shredex

If you guys read the rest of the poster, it says,
"UNLESS...

1. You have 200 skydives minimum for flying a wingsuit or 75 minimum for flying a tracking suit.

2. You have completed a Wingsuits First Flight Course from a qualified Coach, and have logged signature of completion.

3. You recieved a wingsuit or tracking suit flight briefing.

4. You understand you MUST LAND ON THE AIRPORT.

No Exceptions"

It's not banned. They're just using some USPA rules and regulations like most other dropzones.

read carefully.
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4495361#4495361

It's true, wingsuits are banned until who knows when. Whenever Bill decides to stop punishing us locals. :( Bill just got tired of all the idiots cutting away or landing off. Per ex. Some person unnamed jumps a P3 for a hundred jumps or so and decides to jump right to a Squirrel suit. Three jumps later on his big shiny suit he has a cutaway and his canopy lands on the highway. The last straw was someone jumping their xwing with a crossfire, line twists and a cutaway later WSing was banned again. >:( Tracking suits got banned a week later because someone was trying to make it back from a long spot while tracking and hookturned it into the ground in the vineyards.

It's pretty depressing now on the weekends without all of the wingsuiters there. I'd go somewhere else but this is where I live and work now. Hopefully it will pass, working on my FF skills until then.

RLTW!

Yup those were the old rules which started after a brief ban maybe 2-3 years ago when a few visiting jumpers had off landings and bill got sick of it. Since then, you were supposed to have a sticker on your 3 rings showing that youd gone through wingsuit training and could jump there. The last straw recently was a couple of cutaways, one by a fairly inexperienced wingsuit pilot in a large suit, one by a wingsuit jumper flying a small main. Both landed on the airport. Bill was also one of the first people to ban the apache with the inside harness. Im just glad I got my colugo decently dialed in before the ban :(

WickedWingsuits

What is the interesting part of this document that is related to wingsuits being banned as a small % of dropzones?

For 2011 I'd hazard a guess it's a reference to Form 990 page 10. Take a look at Legal and Premiums. But IDK exactly what he was referring to.

GobbleGobble

What is the interesting part of this document that is related to wingsuits being banned as a small % of dropzones?

For 2011 I'd hazard a guess it's a reference to Form 990 page 10. Take a look at Legal and Premiums. But IDK exactly what he was referring to.

Interesting, I don't think I agree with you but you might be right. I expect legal fees are outside council on many issues and I would be amazed if wingsuiting was part of that.

I thought it might be drawing attention to salaries but I can't see how that would be in any way relevant.

"confused" - more secret code.
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

WickedWingsuits

"confused" - more secret code.

It's in the minutes.
Call your RD.
Contact USPA.
Call the Chair of S&T
Send an email.
Occasionally, finding answers is a bit more work than copy/pasting/regurgitating someone else' efforts.

Ah, the minutes. I got the impression you were calling something in the numbers out what with you referencing the Financial report.

I am pleased with the USPA decision. If Bill wants to ban wingsuits then he can go for it. Land of the free and all. There are other dropzones in the area.

DSE

Financials are not part of the "USPA decision":S I am referring to the financial report as presented by Tony Thacker at the plenary session.

If someone gets a copy of this presentation, can you post a link? No point in us all separately bugging USPA for something like this.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

Skwrl

Financials are not part of the "USPA decision":S I am referring to the financial report as presented by Tony Thacker at the plenary session.

If someone gets a copy of this presentation, can you post a link? No point in us all separately bugging USPA for something like this.

Best guess I could come up with was that it must be in here:

http://www.uspa.org/Portals/0/Downloads/Min_BOD_2013_03.pdf

I am not about to call people up and say "hey, I heard on the internet that something interesting that is somehow related to LODI banning wingsuits was presented in a finance meeting, tell me more".

This feel like a treasure hunt but I don't know what the treasure is. So for now I give up and will get on with something useful.

This is just another example of "we know something you don't know....".

Or, you could call your RD and say "Hey, I was told that USPA dollars relating to wingsuiting were spent. Can you share that information with me?

Simon, you've long set a precedent of nitpicking, arguing, twisting, prevaricating, or manipulating anything I share regarding wingsuiting and wingsuit safety.
As a result, I chose to not post it, yet have provided you the opportunity to dig into it if you genuinely want information vs having something more to steal, piss about, or create FUD over.j Who knows...in the process, you might learn more about how USPA operates.
You're welcome.:P

dthames

What would also prompt their ban on tracking dives? (referring to the poster image file)

I am still curious if they really also ban tracking jumps and if so, what are they trying to make better......not landing off?

Thanks,
Dan
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

DSE

Or, you could call your RD and say "Hey, I was told that USPA dollars relating to wingsuiting were spent. Can you share that information with me?

Simon, you've long set a precedent of nitpicking, arguing, twisting, prevaricating, or manipulating anything I share regarding wingsuiting and wingsuit safety.
As a result, I chose to not post it, yet have provided you the opportunity to dig into it if you genuinely want information vs having something more to steal, piss about, or create FUD over.j Who knows...in the process, you might learn more about how USPA operates.

IIRC, most of the USPA $$$ spent on wingsuiting relate directly to the preposterous proposal you tried to ram down everyone's throat, your advocacy of which was rife with, ahem... "nitpicking, arguing, twisting, prevaricating, or manipulating anything" said by anyone who disagreed with you.

Fortunately, the BOD saw through all that to the preposterousness and that was the end of that except for all the $$ your actions caused USPA to blow.

That aside, I agree with Simon that Bill can do whatever he wants -- it's his DZ. He did the same thing with swooping a while back too -- I think there's a 90-degree landing turn limit. IIRC, though, no swooping advocate got on the forums and started spouting sputum about the percentage of DZs in the past 5 years that have banned swooping.

B|
SCR-6933 / SCS-3463 / D-5533 / BASE 44 / CCS-37 / 82d Airborne (Ret.)

"The beginning of wisdom is to first call things by their right names."

robinheid

***Or, you could call your RD and say "Hey, I was told that USPA dollars relating to wingsuiting were spent. Can you share that information with me?

IIRC, most of the USPA $$$ spent on wingsuiting relate directly to the preposterous proposal you tried to ram down everyone's throat, your advocacy of which was rife with, ahem... "nitpicking, arguing, twisting, prevaricating, or manipulating anything" said by anyone who disagreed with you.

Fortunately, the BOD saw through all that to the preposterousness and that was the end of that except for all the $$ your actions caused USPA to blow.

That aside, I agree with Simon that Bill can do whatever he wants -- it's his DZ. He did the same thing with swooping a while back too -- I think there's a 90-degree landing turn limit. IIRC, though, no swooping advocate got on the forums and started spouting sputum about the percentage of DZs in the past 5 years that have banned swooping.

B|

Please support your preposterous:P claim that USPA spent a dime on the WSI proposal. If USPA spent a dime, it'll be shown in the financial report. Given that I personally paid for all handouts, DVDs, and for all my own travel, hotel...I'm curious how you'd make such a bullshit claim. Then again, prevarication *is* your stock in trade.

USPA spent/lost more money on the now-known to be manipulated Chicago record that they had to rescind (first rescinding due to a cheater in the history of USPA, who buys the beer?) than spent on the WSI proposal.

The financial records were reported at the meeting, they're published, a resourceful dude like yourself should be able to find backup for your specious claim. Since you toss the accusation, back it up. Otherwise, STFU, Robin.
Or are you gonna call my employers and tattle and whine about me again?