BMichaeli

Pulling in full flight

I am new to wing suiting but i was wondering how many people pull in full flight. I ask because i had my first scare this past weekend when i borrowed a suit that was on the small side and when i went to do a practice touch and collapsed my wings i went into a flat spin. Thankfully i had plenty of altitude and was able to easily recover. But when i landed and was thinking about it and i wondered how pulling in full flight in a WS is different from pulling in full flight in say a tracksuit besides the larger burble. Also how many people actually pull in full flight in a WS.

Because 90% of my Wingsuit flights are in Base I always pull in full flight, also when I'm skydiving. I see no reason why not to pull in full flight. My skydiving openings are much softer than my base openings so no problem from that point of view.
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

Pulling in full flight is not the answer to the problem you experienced. Making sure that you maintain symmetry when collapsing the wings is what you need to learn.

If you went into a flat spin during a practice touch, then you did not maintain the symmetry of the wing surfaces, and you did not react quickly enough to counter the asymmetry.

Pulling in full flight is an asymmetric maneuver and you have to be able to correctly counter the asymmetry as its occurring or else you will be deploying from an asymmetric position resulting in a poor opening.

I am new to wing suiting but i was wondering how many people pull in full flight. I ask because i had my first scare this past weekend when i borrowed a suit that was on the small side and when i went to do a practice touch and collapsed my wings i went into a flat spin. Thankfully i had plenty of altitude and was able to easily recover. But when i landed and was thinking about it and i wondered how pulling in full flight in a WS is different from pulling in full flight in say a tracksuit besides the larger burble. Also how many people actually pull in full flight in a WS.

Pulling in full flight is like RW in the mantis position. It's something you do after you learn to fly stable on your belly and learn to pull from a closed-up position.
I'd doubt you had a flat spin, but more of an auger. Other than intentionals, never yet seen one in a small suit on the belly. Did you get video? That would be useful.
Who did your FFC?

I started to pull with wings collapsed but now I'm always pulling in full flight.

Once you know how to pull stable with your wings collapsed you can try full flight but pulling in full flight and unstable ... not a good idea !
Fly better or die tryin`

Straight Fucking Edge !

Did you get video?.
Who did your FFC?

Unfortunately I do not have video and i should say it was my 16th WS jump all others with no problems. Owen Searls did my FFC. I did a second jump on the same suit right after and didn't have any problems. I did collapse the wings on the second one and had no problems on my pull and opening.

I'm saying i'm going to pull in full flight i was just wondering if people do. i like being safe so i have no problem continuing to collapse my wings. and on that jump i didn't at pull time on that jump i collapsed my wings and pulled

With a smaller suit I did it all the time. Now I mostly fly a big suit. Towed my PC in full flight a couple times.:o I don't do it anymore.

I got it other way around. I got cleaner deployment from full flight.
I got a knot on my bridle several times when I was pulling from classic/student position.

It depends what you mean by "full flight". If the alternative is to bend the legs and arch, then I suppose I always pull in full flight, but in fact, I don't. I losen the tension on the suit and begin to decelerate using the torso, opening up the shoulders and lifting the head, keeping legs and arms extended. The wing is never collapsed, but I'm definitly not in full speed anymore, there's a lot of added drag. I like to pull a second or two into the deceleration, this gives me the best openings.

When I began wingsuiting, the direction I was given was to arch and bend the knees for a few seconds then open. A couple of P.O.Ds bouncing on my feet made me stop that real quick.

I've also had a period where I experimented with pulling in actual full flight, at max speed, and had a few colorful openings... once did an involontary wingover and had my lines lose while (asymetrically) falling back into the harness, you can imagine the result. Another time the force of the parachute throwing me on my back kept me on the ground for the rest of the week. Maybe it's just that my openings aren't that good, but as far as I'm concerned, opening in full flight is just as bad an idea as opening with bent legs.

I don't do base, though, and there may be other considerations there. It's possible that the very large square canopies make that a safe technique.

edit: typo