Rover

C172 exit

Would like to know what is the best way to exit a 172. Poised or dive? I've had nothing to do with wingsuits but have a new guy - 4000+ skydives - working for us and the vid I got of a poised exit he did, he was uncomfortably close to the tail of the aircraft.
Simple answers would be appreciated - I'm just the drogue chucker in the back who doesn't want to fight my way out of an aircraft that has been 'compromised'.

Blues.
2 wrongs don't make a right - but 3 lefts do.

Most of my wingsuit flight are out of a C182 so here is my take. I don't personally like the standard poised exit because of the point you made about the tail (but it obviously can be done). I have two ways I get out; it depends on if I'm doing a 2 way wingsuit jump or not. If I'm solo I put my left foot on the step while holding the door frame with my hands (trying to stay out of the moving air). I position my body so when I push off my direction is a 45 degree angle to the direction of flight and about 15 degrees down past the strut. I keep the wings shut down for a count of one and when I open my wings I weathervain nicely into the relative air.I jump a V4 out this way and have never come close to the tail as well as friends with X-birds, venoms ect. If your doing a 2 way it gets a little more involved. The first bird goes on the step with hands on the strut to keep the wings shut down (make sure the pilot slows the plane down b/c it can be quite hard to hold on and hitting the tail could occur if you are ripped off unstable, and take your time). I also keep my left shoulder toward the prop so the wind does not take advantage of the air intakes on the suit (inflating the wings) and I keep a slight squated position. When exiting the outside bird pushes off the step in the same direction I described above. The bird in the plane exits just as he would during a solo exit. Just my 2 cents. I hope this helps:)

Base# 1638

I keep the wings shut down for a count of one and when I open my wings I weathervain nicely into the relative air.

I think this point bears a little elaboration. It's easy to get lazy about keeping the arms/legs completely closed for a second or two. It's important to focus on pushing the wings completely closed on exit for a full second at least. If this is done properly, then it shouldn't really matter how he exits--he should be no nearer to the tail than any other jumper would be.

Michael

Ghost 3 from a 182 the same way.
Poised using left hand on strut, right wing tucked away (thumb under chest strap). open arms first, breath, then legs. It's a slow enough exit that it's not a big challenge.
Have also done a two way with pilot standing on brake, me standing on tire, other person on twinkie, both of us with left hand on strut.

Depends very much on the air temperatur up there. If it is low the pilot can not cut down the engine very much on jumprun due to shock cooling.
Then I prefere standing in the door and diving about 45° off the direction of the flight direction.
If the prop does not spin so hard it is easy to climb on the step to do multiway exits.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

i learned out of a 182, my method is slightly different, for solos i dive out at the tail with everything closed, once under the fuselauge ill open the right wing first, that puts me basically under the plane flying in the same direction, for two/three ways we will put one guy on the strut floating with arms together closed tail (lock feet together), the next guy will be on the step holding the strut with both hands and keeps everything together and just steps back off the step(you see the step really close to your face! as you exit) , and a guy in the door diving out doing a 45 after exit. on my ffc i was told to ball and fall, thats where the first method was figured out.
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

in reply to "Simple answers would be appreciated - I'm just the drogue chucker in the back who doesn't want to fight my way out of an aircraft that has been 'compromised'.

Would it be better for you in a 172 if the wingsuiters got out after you ?
I'm thinking yes.....

...otherwise if poised the wings are much more likely to catch air inadvertantly. A 45degree dive followed by a left turn into relative air works for me.

Wingsuit exits from a 172, 182 or P-206 are really not that difficult, even with minimal cut. Any of the exits described in this thread will work as long as you pay attention to keeping the wings collapsed.

The exit DSE describes is what I would recommend for those fairly new to Cessna wingsuiting however. It really is the easiest way to manage your exit, stay stable and get on with the flight. Controlling your wings on climbout and exit is IMPORTANT, as always.

BendiktDE: I would be curious what power setting your pilot is using on exit. A full cut is not needed and actually makes Cessna exits more challenging in many circumstances.

BendiktDE: I would be curious what power setting your pilot is using on exit. A full cut is not needed and actually makes Cessna exits more challenging in many circumstances.

We use the 300HP Version of the C182 that reacts very much to cutting the engine - it gets very hot and shock cools easy. The pilot just reduces the Prop RPM an decreases the throttle just a very little bit. The bigger prop of the 300HP Version does not make it easier.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

It's fair to say that he has 'adjusted' his exit since. He is a very talented jumper but has little ws experience. He was trying a poised exit and this was the result, Fair to say that he has learned from this experience. So have I. :o

2 wrongs don't make a right - but 3 lefts do.

Half of my wingsuit jumps are from Cessna 182, 205 and P206.

It is easiest to start from a sitting position, with your back against the instrument panel.

Put your left foot on the step, then follow with your right foot. Try to keep your knees close together.

Then you decide whether to do a diving exit or poised exit.

Diving exit is simpler. Pull yourself into a crouching position in the door way. Dive out - on a 45 degree angle. Try to lay your belly on the relative wind. Keep your knees together. Tuck your feet onto your butt. Wait a couple of seconds before spreading your wings.