DSessom

How did you get into Wingsuit flying?

I am still a student, but to be honest, I got into skydiving because I eventually want to try wingsuit flying when I have enough experience.
I was just wondering how most of you guys and gals got into this discipline, and what were your first experiences like?

Thanks in advance!

-Dwayne Sessom
-NooB-

I jumped a lot....loved it...
Than jumped more...kept loving it...
At one point got into wingsuit flying.....loved it even more..
Still jump, jump, and jump more....and love every oppertunity I get to do it again again and again...

Try and be as complete a jumper as you can be...dont settle for solo jumps with made up 'wingsuit training' but do freefly...do fs..
Learn about levels..flying...approach...exits...funnels...tracking from a formation....and enjoy the whole road...and not just focus on wingsuit as a destination...B|

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I got into skydiving to get into BASE but about the 100 jump mark I really noticed wingsuiting and it's taken me away from my original goal (which is probably not a bad thing..)

I've only got a couple of dozen WS jumps under my belt but it is probably the best thing I have ever done in my life. :)

I remember a couple of weeks before my FJC- I was sitting in a cafe and I could picture myself and sense and 'feel' what it was going to be like following the ground school and on that first climb to altitude, the smell of the jet fuel as I climbed the ladder into the plane, sitting behind the pilot for the first time, chatting nervously with my coach, the apprehension as we climbed, my heart rate climbing with the increase in altitude, then waiting whilst the free flyers, 4 ways, AFFs and tandems jumped out before finally it would be my turn in the door, the nerves, the excitement as I stepped out and then the 'clarity of vision' as I opened the arms wings and for the first time really flew and all my nerves and fears would fall away.

Unfortunately it wasn't like that at all - I wasn't nervous (etc etc) and my heart rate didn't increase (booo!!) any more than normal..

BUT - you know how sometimes in life you've built something up, you expect it to be great and it doesn't really live up to that ? This didn't. This was way better than I'd expected. And I expected it to be awesome. This is fun on steroids.

And then when I moved off the intro suit, and then onto an intermediate suit it just got better and better.

I hope it does for you what it's doing for me - everyone should feel like this :)

[edited (badly) for typos and spelling]
Jump more, post less.

you know how sometimes in life you've built something up, you expect it to be great and it doesn't really live up to that ? This didn't. This was way better than I'd expected. And I expected it to be awesome. This is fun on steroids.

Same for me!

How I got into it? I always wanted to chase the dreamof flying. My first skydive gave me this with incredible addrenaline rush as well. Then I skydived for a while (got to about jump 150), and thought about flying a wingsuit. Past that I did a BUNCH of freefly jumps then soon donned a wingsuit. Ever since then, to get me to do a ff/belly jump better be a special occasion or absolutely no other wingsuiters to fly with.

So to answere your question, I got into wingsuiting by doing a shitload of jumps, and having the need to go after my dream (literlally) of flying with no machine to keep me aloft.
Muff #5048

Got into skydiving, did FS, did FF, did bits of CReW, accuracy, started a bit of canopy piloting, tried most things.... Then gave up skydiving and went BASE jumping.... then gave up BASE jumping, and went back to skydiving. Did some bits and pieces, tried out WS with a WS coach day (I had 600+ skydives by this point and had never really looked into WS flying)...but... I FUCKING LOVED IT

My first jump, I was back to feeling like a student again, scared, nervous anticipation, etc.... That all added to the incredible experience of flying for the first time. Someone once said to me, its hard to explain unless you do it, even as a skydiver you cant understand... They were correct...

Its now all I want to do...