piisfish

New great news from Yves "Jetman" Rossy - Aerobatics

This morning he showed officially the 1st looping with the wing (quad version).

He looped the loop around a hot air balloon:)
www.20min.ch/ro/news/vaud/story/Jetman---C-etait-fantastique--26443113

Congrats Yves, the project is looking good, and still going forward (and UP) :)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

From the videos in the linked page, I only saw one depiction of the actual loop. Based on only that, I would say:

It wasn't a clean loop, and wouldn't score in an aerobatic competition. It was more a case of flopping over backwards from a pullup past vertical.

But it was a complete rotation done by pitching in the vertical plane, so it counts as a loop. So he doesn't have the energy or g capability (yet) for a clean loop, but it is still a great achievement.

I wouldve figured he'd launch from a higher balloon/plane, then dive down to a lower one and loop over it...
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

For the record:

The loop wasn't 'around' the balloon but off to the side.

And contrary to what I initially saw, the loop wasn't "flopped", although it was still pinched at the top. So he did get it to fly over the top rather than stalling out and recovering. Very nice. That was apparent from a video from a different angle and with different editing than the one I first saw.

And contrary to what I initially saw, the loop wasn't "flopped", although it was still pinched at the top..

As are the overwhelming majority of loops performed in airplanes that are not engaged in formal aerobatic competition. Even the USAF Thunderbirds don't fly completely circular loops!

Would you criticize a talking dog for grammatical errors?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Just trying to define what exactly Rossy had accomplished. From the initial video I watched, it wasn't clear that he had achieved what the press was saying.

I corrected my statement for the record, as soon as I saw in other video that it was a true loop.

(And as for loops in regular airplanes, I admit a personal bias -- I assistant judged at a World Aerobatics Championships, so if you can't fly a round loop, you suck.:)

Just wondering , do you know if Yves is planning to do a take off from the ground ?

I can neither confirm or deny it :P

The BRS is intended to limit risks at lower altitudes. So it could be in the future plans.

Several media interviews (check wingsuitnews.com) quote Yves on wanting to fly through the grand canyon and doing other low stuff...sounds very much like a confirmation..:P

there should be some interesting stuff to see in the Guano Point / Skywalk / West Rim area in the next couple of days/weeks... :)

there should be some interesting stuff to see in the Guano Point / Skywalk / West Rim area in the next couple of days/weeks... :)

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/04/20/flight-jetman-fly-grand-canyon/?test=faces

Should be awesome, not to mention WestCoast Wingsuits and Team Ill Vision will be doing a high speed flyby over the Skywalk and flying into to Grand Canyon May 7th for the Skywalk Anniversary ;)
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

A YouTuber posted this:

Jetman at grand canyon 5-6-11 now called chicken man
Swiss "JetMan" Yves Rossy canceled his first U.S. flight in a jet-propelled wing suit at the last minute Friday, saying he didn't have enough time to train. The Federal Aviation Administration gave him the go-ahead less about an hour before the 51-year-old adventurer was scheduled to take off. But with spectators and reporters gathered to watch the event, Rossy called it off.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8246007

A Swiss adventurer dubbed "JetMan" cancelled an attempt to make an acrobatic flight over the Grand Canyon, saying he had not been able to train enough for the exploit.

Yves Rossy also said his energy had been sapped by wrangling to obtain authorisation for his winged jetpack from the US Federal Aviation Authority (FAA), which only approved it 30 minutes before the planned take-off.

"I was so focused on getting the authorization, I thought I would be able to fly anyway. And I ended up forgetting that I should put my energy into the flight and not on trying to get the authorization," he told AFP.

And the next day, he flew. No footage available yet afaik. But apparently it is beautiful.

After I personally spoke with Yves and Bruno this weekend, while we flying wingsuits over the Skywalk and into the canyon, I have to admit the FAA gave him a TOTAL bullshit runaround for this event. He was 100% right to call off his first flight, but seeing the footage when he did actually fly was fantastic. The wind was not cooperating much either.......
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com