SilverFox

New Rig Suppliers

I'm 51, live in Australia and have 13 jumps. Looking to buy a new rig when off student status.
As I'm new to the sport, I don't know a lot about supplier's reputations.
I've looked at:
Pier Ltd
Rigs n Things
Fly Vertical
Total Control
Sky Kat
Square One
Garlyn
Skydive Supplies
Has anyone dealt with these companies? As I'm not in the US, it's hard to check their credentials. Any advice welcome
SilverFox

As we get older we get wiser, but we still fall the same

I've dealt with Total Control. I've bought a second-hand rig off them, plus some other bits and pieces

They're pretty good. Easy to talk to, and Richie will go out of his way to help you.

One thing that you have to watch out for if you buy gear from the US is the tax that gets put on it when it comes here.
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

Be careful if you are going to try and import items from the US. From my experience, it can get expensive depending on how items are packaged up, and what they are listed as.

Dealing with the two big companies in Australia (Total Control and Parachutes Australia) makes things relatively simple in comparison.

I haven't dealt with PA, so I won't offer an opinion.

I have dealt with total control however, and I can't speak highly enough of them. Richie is great. When I ring, he remembers my name, and if I need something it's in the mail almost immediately. Their prices are good, and the company has good ethics. Total Control acts as the sole Australian dealer for some rigs too. When you buy a rig, you want to be able to support it down the track when you break it. Dealing with an Australian company makes that so much easier.

Good luck

Bought a new custom container through Square1 this late summer, great customer service and quick communication (when questions to my order came up, i.e.). Good argumented advice on questions by myself. Highly recommended.B|

Must ad that i don't have any other experiences with US Dealers.
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

I'm 51, live in Australia and have 13 jumps. Looking to buy a new rig when off student status.
As I'm new to the sport, I don't know a lot about supplier's reputations.
I've looked at:

First... talk to someone nearby... you'll want service well after your purchase... but here's who you want to talk to at the places you mentioned (all good people!)

Pier Ltd (Mike Brown)

Rigs n Things (Roy Torgison)

Fly Vertical (???)

Total Control (???)

Sky Kat (Tim Denunzio)

Square One (JP Funari... the man!)

Garlyn (???)

Skydive Supplies (???)

Note, I'm an equipment manufacturer and I do not know everyone, but all of the above named people try very hard to make every customer very happy.

Chris

Disclaimer: I am a Gear Dealer.

First off try your local dealers in Aus. They will be able to give you more personal service. You will also be supporting your local skydiving economy.

If you really can't find what you are looking for there, then of course I will have to add that www.GravityGear.com (that's me.)has plenty of International Experience. Mostly Europe but a couple to NZ.

Good luck.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

My vote is for Rigs n Things..
cost effective, good customer service and very nice people. They have been selling online for a couple of years at least that I know of.

So far, I have gotten the best prices from them, oh and the Skydiving Outlet in DeLand.

but it does sound like customs could be a problem, so consider that heavily too!

I have personally dealt with skykat, and they were super. A friend of mine has dealt with rigs n things, and said they were top notch too. Although those are all I personally have experience with, I'm sure most on the list are good to go. Good luck with whatever gear you decide on.

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".