roostnureye

Intro vs phantom 2

hi im a newbie on the wingsuits, (16 jumps)
i have been flying a tony suits intro, i am looking into buying a suit for myself, i am 6' and 145-150lbs.
i have read plenty about not getting a giant suit for my body size, so i am looking at a phantom 2z. i just want to hear opinions about the differences between the two suits. it seems to me that the intro has a larger leg wing, but i have not seen a phantom 2z in person. i like acrobatics. i can already barrell roll and front loop the intro, just wondering what direction to go. thanks!
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

i have been flying a tony suits intro, i am looking into buying a suit for myself, i am 6' and 145-150lbs.
i have read plenty about not getting a giant suit for my body size, so i am looking at a phantom 2z.

The phantom2z would be awesome for your size. You're fairly light so you don't need the extra help from a whole bunch of fabric and hardcore can-barely-close-my-legwing style inflation... floaty suits could hinder your forward speed... so I definitely recommend checking out the Phantom2. You'll get great range out of it and have a lot of fun doing anything from flocking to aerobatics to whatever else you wish to explore

Or if you want to go on the Tony side, probably a T-bird would be a better choice than the Intro. At 16 ws jumps, unless you're doing scary stuff and having wacky deployments, you're probably ready to step out of the Intro anyway...

Any chance you can demo some suits before you make your decision?

i just want to hear opinions about the differences between the two suits. it seems to me that the intro has a larger leg wing, but i have not seen a phantom 2z

not quite sure which tailwing is larger in size, they're similar

One thing I can say, though, is that the Phantom2 has lots and lots of range for its seemingly smaller size. It's been a while since I've played with an Intro, but I did fly a Raptor for a loong time, and my new Phantom2, while having a visibly smaller legwing than my Raptor, can still get me the same range I was used to...

i like acrobatics. i can already barrell roll and front loop the intro, just wondering what direction to go. thanks!

if you love aerobatics, then P2z will definitely make you very happy. it's a total aerobatic machine. It flies soo smooth through all the transitions... the ease and stability it has in all kinds of aerobatic maneuvers is one of the primary reasons why I love mine so much.
It feels like it was made to backfly... it's amazingly stable on the back. Rolls? ohh yea... It performs smooth and fast and is very responsive to every subtle little input so you can have a lot of fun rolling it around the sky.
Try one! You might just love it...

Intro is a great suit for getting started, IMO (I own 6 of em') but for continuing the learning curve (and for getting started) the Phantom2 is the better option, IMO. It's a suit with a lot of range, and at your height/weight ratio, you'd do well with it, IMO.

Look at Both the T-Bird and the Phantom2. Your height and weight will do great with that "class" of suit for both acrobatic and flocks. If you have a Intro, do you have the multi-mode (clips) for attaching the lower portion of the wing below the pass through for the leg straps? It adds a great amount of performance to the suit. If you don't you can get a set of RSL clips and add it cheap. Also if you have a intro did you think about the $400 credit towards a new Suit from Tony? Makes a new T-Bird pretty cost effective.

Either suit should be good but be sure to fly both to find the style that you like.

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

i have read plenty about not getting a giant suit for my body size, so i am looking at a phantom 2z. i just want to hear opinions about the differences between the two suits. it seems to me that the intro has a larger leg wing, but i have not seen a phantom 2z in person. i like acrobatics. i can already barrell roll and front loop the intro, just wondering what direction to go. thanks!

I agree with Andrea's assessment re: the T-Bird or the P2z.

I'm about 20 lbs. lighter than you (& half a foot shorter), so it's not a spot-on comparison...but I found the T-Bird to be way too much wing for me. Trying to get DOWN to a flock was really tough, what with all the wing.

Flying the Phantom2 was a spot-on fit for me - I could stay down with the flock, or pop it open and out-float the rest of 'em.

If you can demo both, demo them...but if you can't, I'm guessing that you'd find the P2z has just the right amount of range for your body type.
Signatures are the new black.

The phantom2z would be awesome for your size. You're fairly light so you don't need the extra help from a whole bunch of fabric and hardcore can-barely-close-my-legwing style inflation... floaty suits could hinder your forward speed... so I definitely recommend checking out the Phantom2. You'll get great range out of it and have a lot of fun doing anything from flocking to aerobatics to whatever else you wish to explore

Or if you want to go on the Tony side, probably a T-bird would be a better choice than the Intro. At 16 ws jumps, unless you're doing scary stuff and having wacky deployments, you're probably ready to step out of the Intro anyway...

Any chance you can demo some suits before you make your decision?

at my home dz they have 2 intro that we can demo, thats what ive been doing, i will be at skyfest this week/weekend and i hear tony is going to be up there, so hopefully i will be able to demo some other suits. all of my ws jumps have been out of a 182, so im excited to try a turbine out. i had a nasty spin on my first jump, but recovered nicely. since then its been nothing but fun fun fun! i really love flying these things. thanks to everyone for being informative and supportive. hope to meet some of you at skyfest!!!!

anyone know where/when PF is gonna be doing any demos in florida???
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

i live in the united states (florida). i would like to stay with a suit mfgd in the good ol US of A, i dont have any problems with the fyb suits, i just feel i would rather support an american company. i live 2.5 hrs from tonysuits factory and know him personally. i like the fact that i can go to the factory and get measured, repaired, or upgraded with very minnimal down time. jmho.... thanks for the help though. blues
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

Never buy a suit that you haven't jumped ...

ya supergirl said you guys got some demos up there in zhills, she gave me your name specificaly to talk to. ill be at skyfest this week and weekend, but next weekend ill head up that way and hopefully get some flights in with you guys. cant wait.....
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

i live in the united states (florida). i would like to stay with a suit mfgd in the good ol US of A, i just feel i would rather support an american company.

"Good" ol' nationalism.
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

i live in the united states (florida). i would like to stay with a suit mfgd in the good ol US of A, i dont have any problems with the fyb suits, i just feel i would rather support an american company. i live 2.5 hrs from tonysuits factory and know him personally. i like the fact that i can go to the factory and get measured, repaired, or upgraded with very minnimal down time. jmho.... thanks for the help though. blues

You know Tony's Brittish right? ;)
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

hahaha! if we go by those rules then I guess we are left with Lurch's HardCase and travisjones' PhatBird being 100% american :)
did I miss anyone else?

i could care less where someone is from, he came to this country to make a better life for himself. i would rather have a suit from a local, than from across the pond. nothing personal. just closer and more convienent. no hating here, just supporting the locals.
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

hahaha! if we go by those rules then I guess we are left with Lurch's HardCase and travisjones' PhatBird being 100% american :)
did I miss anyone else?

Yeah, but to the OP: I would hold off on the HardCase for now.

The upcoming HardCase 2XL is rumored to have better inflation and (more) zippers. :D
Signatures are the new black.

he came to this country to make a better life for himself.

Ha ha. You don't know Tony that well do you? ;)

i would rather have a suit from a local, than from across the pond. nothing personal. just closer and more convienent. no hating here, just supporting the locals.

While i hear that, do you know that Phoenix Fly have a US office based in Deland at Morpheus Tech?

In addition, with the wonders of FedEX, a Phantom2z could be with you almost over night once it's built, and you don't even have to leave the house B|
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

he came to this country to make a better life for himself.

Ha ha. You don't know Tony that well do you? ;)

ok ill change that statement to "make a name for himself" hehe =)

i would rather have a suit from a local, than from across the pond. nothing personal. just closer and more convienent. no hating here, just supporting the locals.

While i hear that, do you know that Phoenix Fly have a US office based in Deland at Morpheus.

yes i do know about morpheus, and that is the route that i plan on going, hopefully next weekend ill be headed up that way to do a couple demo jumps on the p2z, i just hope they got one skinny enough for me!!! thanks everyone your advice is greatly appreciated
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121