notsane

Z-Flock Wingsuit Challenge Series

I'd like to make a "pre"-announcement for the first meet in the Z-Flock Wingsuit Challenge Series.

We are targeting holding this competition at Skydive City in scenic Zephyrhills, FL sometime in November 2010. The purpose of this "pre"-announcement is to allow folks the time to get together and practice. We'll be following up with more details later.

The meet will be a competition for teams of 5 ... one photographer and 4 competitors. Team members can swap positions as long as the members remain the same. Teams can arrive together or pick-up members at the event.

The meet will consist of two events:

1) "Time to Line": Competitors will be judged (from video) on the time from exit to a 4-way docked line held for 3 seconds. Four jumps will be made. Lowest (or bust) score will be dropped. Minimum total time for the remaining three jumps wins. No grips out the door.

2) "Max Points": Competitors will be judged (from video) on the single, maximum point formation that they can build and hold for 3 seconds. Hand grips are 1 point, foot grips are 2 points (for example, a 4-way docked line is 3 points, a 4-way docked diamond is 8 points). Four jumps will be made. Lowest (or bust) score will be dropped. Maximum total points for the remaining three jumps wins. No grips out the door.

Allowing a dropped score encourages strategic thinking and competitive risk-taking. There will be a winning team for each event and an overall winning team for the meet.

Your thoughts are welcome. Lots more detail to come.

Scott

This is Going to be a great event. On top of the two events Scott mentioned in his post, there is another event that we will let you all know, when you need to. Be certain that some Head to Head racing will be happening though. Stay tuned.. I may even have to leave my helmet on the ground for some of this.. :)~
Z Flock #11; Muff #1909; PFI #15, USPA Lifer
Commercial Multi-Inst. Airplane/Rotory
www.flyteskool.ws Aerial Photography

These same jumps will be part of the event list at Skydive Utah/Freeflock Boogie July 9, 10, 11.

Scott has some very aggressive and developmental ideas that I think you'll see at a few events this year.

This is a really good question, but one that I'd like to see some working results on before trying to enact some grand rule.

Since this is a wingsuit competition, I think we could all agree that the competitors should actually wear a wingsuit. I think a production wingsuit would be a good start, which rules out tracking suits.

Maybe we'd want to include a handicap for fallrate as measured by a Neptune, etc ... but my initial thoughts would be to try to keep the rules simple.

Thoughts???

Scott, for all the talk about dirty flyin we get in these forums, I think fallrate will be a nonissue here. Any birds capable of competing will be operating roughly in the middle of their performance envelope. Flying superdirty gains you nothing here and only makes docking harder if not impossible. Last weekend we had a fun zoo dive with a few newbies thrown in and I was working so hard to hold the suit back it would have been quite difficult to dock on any of them. In a later camera flight I did shooting Justin working with newbies we were maxed out after breakoff and had time for a couple docks at our leisure below 3K while opening safely above 2.

In a competition like this one I think the fallrates will take care of themselves. Those of us who have a shot at winning it will know what to do. Any team so badly mismatched that some must fly superdirty to stay with the others has no chance to win anyway.
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

Agreed..its quite clear speed helps a lot in flying a dock vs fighting to stsy together.

Though a line being straight (most slower fwd speed ones tend to bend and have people off-axis) could be part of the definition..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?