Phillbo

Opinions on Silhouette for first canopy.

They're good canopies that are easy to pack, because they're a hybrid, it flies like a ZP but packs like F-111.

Wether it's a good canopy for you depends on a couple of things.

It's not a particularly popular canopy - largely, because PD doesn't put any effort into marketing them. Because of this, I think you're going to have a hard time selling it, when that time comes.

They are good canopies, though. And yes, at an appropriate wing-loading they are a good choice as a first canopy.

If its appropriate for you, depends on if you're buying new or used, and if you're buying new - how long do you plan on keeping it. If you're buying used, your should get it cheap so no issues. If you're buying new, it would suck if you put only a few hundred jumps on it, only to find nobody wants to buy it. Conversely, it'd be fine if you plan on keeping it for a few thousand jumps, resale value is meaningless.

That said, with any canopy it's the wingloading which makes the biggest difference over how the canopy will fit you. What wingloading are you thinking about?

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

That said, with any canopy it's the wingloading which makes the biggest difference over how the canopy will fit you. What wingloading are you thinking about?

_Am

The load will be right about 1.14:1 and I should be around 30 jumps before I start flying it.. I'm looking to get a used one and keep it for about 150 jumps before downsizing a bit. But plans can change :P

Phil, I've pretty much come to the same conclusion, that the Silhouette is the way to go. I called PD and talked to them about it for a while, their immediate recommendation was the Silhouette also. Supposedly it lands about the same as a Navigator of the same size, a little more forward speed, and turns more crisply.

One of our jumpers bought a Silhouette when they first came out on the market and it was a great starter canopy. It was very responsive and landed nice and easy. In fact this might tell you how impressive it was....when she finally went with a smaller canopy our DZO bought it from her and put it into a rental rig for students once they were off student status but hadn't bought gear yet. It now has well over 1000 jumps on it and still flys and lands like a champ.

I used to jump a silhouette 170 loaded ~1.1:1. It is a great first canopy.;) Easy to pack if you are used to f-111. The Silhouette performs nothing less than its competitors (sabre, electra, triathlon) in my opinion. It is a responsive still easy handling and forgiving canopy. But if you are doing something complitely wrong it can hurt you badly.B| And you can get pretty long surfs under the right conditions (no-wind or slightly down-wind).B|

Silhouette as a first canopy?
Funny, I have a meeting today with Ken. Ken bought a second-hand Silhouette this summer - right after he graduated PFF - and put a few dozen jumps on it. He is a big boy, but only loads his Silhouette 190 slightly over 1.1 and gets great landings, usually close to the pea gravel bowl. Now he wants me to repack his reserve so he can attend a Christmas boogie in a warmer climate.

I've heard good things about them and my instructor recommended it as a good canopy for me to start with.
Opinions please ...

I did 50 jumps with a Silhouette 150 (loaded at 1.05): it was easy to fly, land and pack.

Laurent, autrefois sur l'ile de La Reunion
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/windsurf/skydive

It is a responsive still easy handling and forgiving canopy. But if you are doing something complitely wrong it can hurt you badly

Can you elaborate a bit .. I assume any canopy can hurt you if you are doing something really wrong. Is there a specific fault in the Silhouette ?

It's funny... when I asked PD what they'd recommend, the Silhouette was the immediate answer. They also told me that they're not as popular in the US as some others. However, when I've asked around, seems like a LOT of people have jumped one.

Newbie question here.. Who is Bill Booth and why is it significant that he jumps one ?

Ever see that tandem waiver video with the guy with the long beard? Invented tandems amongst many other things (Like say the 3 ring system) ?

Yeah that's Bill Booth.

Why do I feel like I'm going to owe beer for asking this

Bet your ass you do :)
Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

I jump a Sil 150 and have just over 100 jumps on it. The only other canopies that I have jumped are the Sabre and Sabre 2.

I bought the Sil used and it had about 50 jumps on it at the time. I load this canopy at 1.13:1 (about what you are planning)and it flies nicely providing fast turns and soft landings. I am still happy with this canopy and will probably keep it for about 100 more jumps before I downsize.

Retail value may be an issue but I bought it used so it was cheap to start with. Let us know what you decide:)
Flying Hellfish #470

Can you elaborate a bit .. I assume any canopy can hurt you if you are doing something really wrong. Is there a specific fault in the Silhouette ?

You are right, any canopy can hurt you. Nothing wrong with the silhouette. It was just meant as a warning to anyone coming from student status and big 260's. People like me, that have heard something about frontrisers and decided to try this out a little bit close to the ground on his fifth or something jump with the silhouette ending up twisting his ankle. :$

It was just meant as a warning to anyone coming from student status and big 260's. People like me, that have heard something about frontrisers and decided to try this out a little bit close to the ground on his fifth or something jump with the silhouette ending up twisting his ankle. :$

Gotcha.. I try to do all my experimenting and playing as high as possible. nothing fancy below 1000' for this newbie. I'm usually too focus on where I am going to land to try front riser turns down low.. I'll save that for later on when I have no excuse for doing dumb stuff ;)