odeseni

world wingsuit championship

Excuse my ignorance, but can someone please point me to the link for world wingsuit championship. I never knew there was one and i cannot find the link for one, online. I also tried the search function on the dropzone webpage, but to no avail.

I know there's more and more contests, especially in europe, but i cannot seem to find one claiming to be the world championship. Was it organized just once or something...?

Thanks

International Artistic Wingsuit Competition
www.wingsuitcompetion.com
Organised once a year (2nd edition just ended 2 days ago).
2 way + video flying 4 rounds of compolsaries, one free round.
Score based on docks + camerawork + flying style.

Wings over Marl & Wings over Gransee.
Time, Distance and Speed rounds. Organised once a year (two different competitions)

and several other big and small competitions.
Every competition gives us 'a' world champion or champions :)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I heard about these competitions and i'm tempted to join wings over gransee this year, but what strikes me as odd is that on the chuttingstar.com webpage, under wingsuits 101 and 201 video, Justin Shorb is considered the world wingsuit champion. I just find that odd, since i cannot find a competition claiming to be the world championship of wingsuiting. I know people are trying to push(market) their product(or themselfs), but if there is no WWC it kind of looks funny. It smels of 1 to 8 glide ratios.:D

I checked the Flock U webpage and under Justins bios it says he was part of the World competition held in Europe. So maybe there is a typo somewhere...or something

Like i said... I'm confused.:S

Thank you for the reply Jarno and good job on becoming the world wingsuit artistic champion.:D

In the 2005 and 2006 BJ Alexander and some others organised the World Wingsuit Competition in Stupino Russia. The Stupino DZ held the event again in 2007 but the DZ closed in 2008.

The competition format was similar to the current performance competitions, with disciplines for time and distance.
BASEstore.it

who cares?
and if so, why?
get over it

Michal, if we got rid of all the retarded bitching about absurd stuff on this forum, the wingsuit forum would be one thread long, and that thread would be titled "Bring back the retarded bitching about absurd stuff."

Just a guess, but I'm assuming it was referring to the Wings Over Marl competition.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

Thanks for clearing that up. So he probably won the event there and it was just a typo on the chutingstar webpage.

Edit: Nope, didn't win that either. Upss, that's awkward.

Flock U page was referring to his participation in Marl in 2008, as Skwrl also pointed out. Perhaps the description was a bit ambiguous. All fixed now.

As for the chutingstar descriptions... don't quote me on this one but I'm assuming it's a just bit of the ohhh so common marketing fluff you see everywhere in advertising... I don't think it was meant to be taken as literally as "there is this big thing called the championship where Justin cleared every prize on the table"
It probably could have been worded more like "world class wingsuit flyer" but that's not as catchy...
It's nothing new. I recall seeing lots of similar talk in the freefly world, where someone who won a medal/prize (be it any of the first 3 places) at some competition of international caliber and/or participated in world records and such often gets called world champion when you see DZs advertising that person's load organizing events...

Next time i read something on an advertisment from chutingstar i will not take it so seriously.
Kind of like the price tag on that video. :P

But seriously, if it would be written in a funny tone i would say, sure it's a joke. I get it.

But i guess this time i just didn't get the joke.

I guess my question is answered. There is no world wingsuit championship.

And just to clear something up. In freefly everybody knows who is the world champion. The team that won the world championship. You know, the thing that's organized every two years. Kinda like in track and field. It's a big deal. Period.

Thank you
Everybody, sorry for asking.
Over and out.

The Flock U website is referring to the Marl event, which at the time was the biggest competition there was.

Kelly Pavlik won one world boxing championship at one of the world events some time ago. He hasn't competed since, I don't think. He trains as a world champion, considered a world champion, even though the promtional competitive organization is no longer in existence. But he will always be a world champion, no matter how many competitions occur after his winning bout. Just like I'll likely never win another Grammy or Emmy...I'm still a Grammy/Emmy recipient.

As far as the price of the video...if you can get that much information (repetiitively as often as you need) for the cost of three/four jump tickets, good for you.

As far as the retail price of the video, blame me. I'm the guy that budgeted the cost of the DVD based on the cost of the number of jumps, slots for all the involved wingsuiters, days of production, production costs, hotels, meals, transpo, days of editing, animations, titling, overlay, graphics, color correction, DVD mastering, printing, replication, fulfillment, and shipping. Believe it or not, that's how *most* intelligent businesses work.

Seems you have an axe to grind?

I dont think going into the whole cost vs retail price thing is needed.
You make a product and invest time and effort into making it, and to just play even (esp in a small sport as small as ours) prices can quickly be regarded as high. Though (IMHO) fair. Be it steep for some people. Which (to me) is weird, as we all spend double that amount of money in any given weekend, hucking ourselves out of airplanes for 2 to 3 minute stints.. If one doesnt agree with a price, dont buy/pay it. But leave it at that...

The Flock U website is referring to the Marl event, which at the time was the biggest competition there was.

So far, the only winners/world champions at Marl have been Lutz (2008) and Tobi (2009) if my memory serves me correct. And Robert, Loic, Tristan and CSaber (or who it was that won the Hungary WS comp in 2007?)) also have wins in both Russia (Stupino) and Hungary. Dont really see any FlockU members listed anywhere as winners of these 'world championships'?

Seems you have an axe to grind?

Maybe I read it different..but he seemed to ask a perfectly normal question? Why does everyone turn everything into a bitchfight?

Just (anyone) say> the word 'world champion' was a marketing tag. Appearantly one that takes a lot of creative twisting and turning of the truth, as so far there isnt a just/real reason pointed out as to why that one is used correctly? Why act like he (Odeseni) is the bad person for pointing that one out, instead of just saying 'woopsy...we'll fix it...'

Hope I dont also offend anyone with this (to me?) sane reasoning/listing of facts...but come on....I know we cant all hold hands and do a big gay hug and sing songs of peace love and understanding all the time....but geezz...

fight...fight...fight!!!
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Champions at "Wings over Marl" in "time":

2006 / James Boole / PF Phantom / 170,5 seconds
2007 / Sven Knoch / Bird-Man S6 / 152,5 seconds
2008 / Lutz Luedtke / PF Stealth / 201,7 seconds
2009 / Tobi Scherrinsky / Tony Suits XS / 203,4 seconds

Champions at "Wings over Marl" in "distance" (since 2008, because of GPS-technique):

2008 / Tony Uragallo / Tony Suits XS-7 / 2942 meters
2009 / Tony Uragallo / Tony Suits X-Bird / 3588 meters

I dont think going into the whole cost vs retail price thing is needed.

We rarely disagree Jarno, but we do on this one....

Next time i read something on an advertisment from chutingstar i will not take it so seriously.
Kind of like the price tag on that video.

With the next lines referring to a joke... Producing quality product is expensive, you know this as well as I. Bringing a great product to market and keeping costs down is a challenge.
I mean hell...materials to build a Stealth are less than 300.00. I know how much Chris Warnock spent to the penny on his wingsuit. Should we say that PF is a joke for the cost they place on that suit?

BTW, congrats on the successes last week. Very cool, very proud for you.

Dear DSE,

I wanted to make a smartass remark about taking seriously what it says on the advertisement (Supergirls post). No disrispect to your work intended. I apologize if it sounded wrong. I guess this time you didn't get the joke.

I actually saw a trailer about the video(which i liked a lot) that brought me to the chutingstar website. It was my first time on the site. When reading the text next to the video, i saw the world wingsuit champion statement, hence my question.

I always thought that world championship is a competition that stands above every other competition(of the same class). I guess in the wingsuit community every winner of an open class competition of any kind is a world champion. My bad. I guess it's kinda like in the song from Freddy Mercury.:S

I would love to see the video, but personaly find the text misleading.

Edit: Be it as it is, what competition of any kind did Justin exactly win?

Ok, so it was explained to me in a PM from one of the authors of the video how he thinks, things work in the wingsuit community and how world champion titles are handed out. I guess/i hope his theory will be revealed to everybody else also.

If there is wrong doing, no prob, acknowledge the mistake and make it right, but don't try to convince me that there was no wrong doing.

I'm pissed.

Ok, so it was explained to me in a PM from one of the authors of the video how he thinks, things work in the wingsuit community and how world champion titles are handed out. I guess/i hope his theory will be revealed to everybody else also.

If there is wrong doing, no prob, acknowledge the mistake and make it right, but don't try to convince me that there was no wrong doing.

I'm pissed.

We'll try this a different way since a couple of suggested alternatives were presented to you that turned into spin....

As the producer of the project, I'm responsible for what goes IN and ON the DVD in entirety. I did not write the text that has been used for marketing. I'm not even certain who did. The last draft I've got on my laptop (I'm away from home) use the wording "World-Class Wingsuit Competitor and World Record Organizer..." yadayada. Mis-managed market messaging.

It's no excuse, but with roughly 200 titles in stock, 18 in production, our corporate work, and that time of the year being our busiest season due to NAB, I obviously didn't pay as close attention to the marketing messaging as I could have. There are only two skydivers in our organization and one of them wouldn't know about wingsuiting at all as he's fresh off AFF. Most of em' are corporate video editors/shooters/recordists.

Don't blame Justin, don't blame Chutingstar, Blame me. Like Roosevelt said, "The buck stops here" and for that reason, I'll take the blame. Mea culpa. I throw myself at your mercy.
Hopefully that un-pisses you?;)

I think the question is about the world championship title quoted on the website. Not about the reasoning behind the DVD price...

Join world champion wingsuiter and wingsuit instructor, Justin Shorb

Odensi only seems to want to know...At what competition was that world champion title earned...

Instead of the whole epic story...why not just say> 'I dont know...'. Its easy to avoid the drama by answering someones question directly...and if you dont know. Dont put a spin on it..

He was on the website looking to buy the DVD set, so I dont think its about critisising your product DSE. Bad humor/comments aside...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Sometimes it's just easier to tell someone what they wanna hear.

Prove me wrong. And please don't use another, his friend/teammate won and gave his friend the usage of the title crap you sent me in the PM. That crap is not only degrading to people who actually won something, but extremely funny. I laughed outloud reading that.