RufusW

Packing with Clips

This is a little random but I stumbled across it watching a BASE rig being packed.

Do many people flat-pack and do any of those people use clips? I saw that maybe riggers do for reserves, but that it isn't common (normal?)

It doesn't sound like many people flat-pack at all but it appeals to me because it seems more accurate - especially with clips. It seems there'd be less chance of a mal... (yes, something I'm scared of without even starting to jump!)

This is a little random but I stumbled across it watching a BASE rig being packed.

Do many people flat-pack and do any of those people use clips? I saw that maybe riggers do for reserves, but that it isn't common (normal?)

It doesn't sound like many people flat-pack at all but it appeals to me because it seems more accurate - especially with clips. It seems there'd be less chance of a mal... (yes, something I'm scared of without even starting to jump!)

Reserves are packed in a way that greatly reduces the chances of a line over forming.

Using clamps is up to the rigger (unless they're packing I believe it's Precision FLIGHT CONCEPTS reserves, that I know of) some do, some don't, and some like me kind of just use them once in a while. (pro-packing or flat packing)

I have seen one master rigger that used clamps while pro-packing a tandem main. Other than that, I don't recall ever seeing anyone pack a main with clamps.

Edit to fix the reserves that ban the clamps.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Use of spring-loaded clamps in packing a main is rare. Although they are commonly used in setups attached to long pvc pips to lift a canopy up off the ground, all spread out, for detailed inspection. I worry about the protective rubber tips coming off or wearing through, and then the sharp metal edges doing damage to the nylon.

If you're packing in wind it can help to have something to hold things in place so they don't blow around. We used to employ shot bags for that purpose, and they are still often used by riggers when packing reserves. Shot bags are usually 1" tubular nylon filled with lead shotgun pellets and the ends sewn shut. Photo attached.

Just make sure that you have the same number of shot bags when you finish packing, that you had when you started. If you want to mess with someone, hide one of their shot bags when they're not looking...

Using clamps on sport mains is rare, but in a few cases its required by the manufacturer. Strong Tandem reserves require them.

I never use clamps on a main or reserve, as I know in the past such techniques have killed people. As a principle, I avoid putting anything into a packjob that will prohibit the parachute from working, whenever possible.

There's no need for clamps on a reserve, certainly never any need on a main.

Base-jumpers do their own thing, but personally I wouldn't do that either.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

" ... Using clamps is up to the rigger (unless they're packing I believe it's Precision reserves ...

So you have not read the manual for Precision's P-124A canopy?
Hah!
Hah!

Seriously, P-124A canopies are clamped to help control bulk distribution, which is a big issue for pilot comfort. If the pilot is not comfortable, he will not were his P-124A on a regular basis.

" ... Using clamps is up to the rigger (unless they're packing I believe it's Precision reserves ...

So you have not read the manual for Precision's P-124A canopy?
Hah!
Hah!

Reserves have manuals?? :S

:P:D:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

You do not need clips, clamps or similar for packing.

The peace of mind is coming from inside and not for overdoing packing.

The key for peace of mind is currency, experience and a good positive attitude.

see transcendingfear.com

Yes I've actually done zero jumps, and seen zero jumps.... I'm just checking out as much stuff as I can before the big day when I do jump!

I'll fill in my profile.

I was just wondering whether using clips during packing could provide a near 100% pack job. It probably stemmed from me seeing the pro-pack and thinking that it looked rather messy. But it probably isn't as bad as it looks to an outsider.

Thanks for the replies.

I searched for a thread on this so at least it's contributing something.

There is no such thing as a near 100% pack job. There are so many other factors that go into how a canopy opens than just packing. Body position, speed at time of deployment, etc. Clips are overkill and completely uneaded for packing a skydiving main. You have a reserve if something goes wrong. But as someone who was a packer for 4 years I've seen the neatest packjobs open like shit. And I've seen the shittiest packjobs open perfectly. Don't overthink it.

There is no such thing as a near 100% pack job.

Mine open 100% of the time so far, but I only have ~1000 packjobs. Could be the next one!

(Still nobody dumb enough to fire my reserve packjobs yet)

??

If you figure about 1 in 1000 skydives result in a main malfunction that's 99.9% if you assume all malfunctions are attributed to packing (which is conservative.) That's pretty near 100% to me.

I think your takeaway is right though that packing errors are already a small enough contributor to main malfunctions (provided you do a few basic steps correctly) that stressing too hard about it (e.g. packing with clamps) isn't going to make your jump any safer.

Most of the "special" stuff you see BASE jumpers do is to prevent deployment issues that wouldn't develop as problems if they happened with a main canopy on a skydive.

as my instructor had put it during AFF: "everything you throw at a 120mph windstream will open - somehow!".

it didnt really help me put my mind at ease, but so far, he appeared to be right! :P

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Sure there is. There'd be a lot more dead BASE jumpers (since we jump too low to use reserves and don't even bother bringing one) if we couldn't have near 100% pack jobs.

It's just not worthwhile for skydiving because we'd have to limit ourselves to more reliable canopies that are less fun to fly and would make a lot fewer loads with 45 minute pack jobs not six.

Most of the "special" stuff you see BASE jumpers do is to prevent deployment issues that wouldn't develop as problems if they happened with a main canopy on a skydive.

The difference being speed at deployment?

Things like off heading openings that are just a minor inconvienance to us, could potentially drive a BASE jumper into the side of the mountian and kill them.

The difference being speed at deployment?

Object proximity.

A 180 degree off-heading opening is not an issue after tracking 500+ feet away from the center of a formation and being 1000+ feet from the nearest person.

A 180 degree off-heading opening a few feet away from a solid object you jumped off a few seconds ago is a big deal.