diablopilot

Nice article about a pretty good dude....

OK...so this is the first I've heard of this. The reporter called me under the guise of wanting to do a story about tandems (she had just done one), and we got talking about the wingsuit she saw me wearing.
Had I known it was a story about me...i'd have had a different approach to her questions. :$
how on earth did you find this??

[edit] This is the story I thought I was being interviewed for....
Video in the above linked story shot by Josh Venning.

Had I known it was a story about me...i'd have had a different approach to her questions. :$

Like you would not have dwelled on the flat spin......?:ph34r::D:)

Its a nice piece. She may have changed the scope of the interview after she had seen the suit and figured skyflying has more intrigue than skydiving.

4 mins of flight? Skydivers move too fast for sound, but wingsuit flyer can talk to eachother? It's completely different experience then skydiving?

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

You should try it, Ed, then you'd know.;)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

4 mins of flight? Skydivers move too fast for sound, but wingsuit flyer can talk to eachother? It's completely different experience then skydiving?

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

You can't talk to others? Maybe it's an age thing. Oh wait!!! i'm older than you.

Chuck and I have actually had conversations in flight before.... and we miss you down here in florida chucky~ when u comin home? Ive been seeing some pretty consistant 3min flights even though im still kinda fat scotty these days weighin in just a bit under 200 before gear... so its not too far off... I know i couple people in the 4 min club~

Nice job Spot, your makin wingsuiting look sexy to the wuffos~ This We likey~ and your turnin into quite the flyer, were you actually hatched once upon a time? I believe thats your eagle coming out of you~ you know what i mean~

FLOCK ON BABY FLOCK ON

Scotty
Z Flock #11; Muff #1909; PFI #15, USPA Lifer
Commercial Multi-Inst. Airplane/Rotory
www.flyteskool.ws Aerial Photography

Ive been seeing some pretty consistant 3min flights even though im still kinda fat scotty these days weighin in just a bit under 200 before gear... so its not too far off... I know i couple people in the 4 min club~

Scotty,

You doing the XS for the 3min flights? I have gotten close to 3 and a half minutes with Phil's XS from 13K but I don't have that suit dialed in, I think I get it going then I really find I dont have it even that close to dialed in.

Also the 4 Min Flight Club is a nice thing! :)
Scott C.

Since this is a post about Spot, NICE ONE DSE!!
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Great article Spot. Watching you fly in all the vids everywhere, its clear you're becoming one of the better flyers out there!
Cant wait to finaly share a drink and hopefully make a jump with you!

Side subject...

Cant wait to finaly see some of those 4 miute flight times at the freefall competitions.
The best score there so far wouldnt warent anything more than a few seconds over a 3 minute flight from 12k, and those are usually scores with a dive/flare prior to the comp altitude window.

Post those logs..its been 2 years of talking about it...when will we finaly see those full altitude sustained 27 mph fallrates..;)

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

An interesting interview with Chris de Bar in which he talks about conversing while wingsuiting, saying "you go right, you go left" to his buddies. He goes on to say that "wingsuiting feels completely different than other skydives."
Wonder what the heck he's talking about!?:S

Its a problem some people have who have a big RW background.
Used to pushing down their left arm, to turn their upper body left.
Which (in a wingsuit) does the complete opposite).
And the same thing for your lower body, kicking a right knee down (in flat falling) turns your lower body right. While kicking a leg/knee down in a wingsuit will bank you right.

If you dont think about steering in a wingsuit, and (per instructions) just 'look where you want to go' you get used to steering pretty soon. And never give it a second thought. But Ive seen some older skydivers with a big RW history struggle with this 'directional problem' quite a bit in the beginning.

So no what the heck if you ask me...just a problem you missed;)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Its a problem some people have who have a big RW background.
Used to pushing down their left arm, to turn their upper body left.
Which (in a wingsuit) does the complete opposite).
And the same thing for your lower body, kicking a right knee down (in flat falling) turns your lower body right. While kicking a leg/knee down in a wingsuit will bank you right.

If you dont think about steering in a wingsuit, and (per instructions) just 'look where you want to go' you get used to steering pretty soon. And never give it a second thought. But Ive seen some older skydivers with a big RW history struggle with this 'directional problem' quite a bit in the beginning.

So no what the heck if you ask me...just a problem you missed;)

???

I'm "older" and had about 1800RW jumps before trying a wingsuit, and I had no difficulty at all steering.

I'm "older" and had about 1800RW jumps before trying a wingsuit, and I had no difficulty at all steering.

Some..not all..
I had a few hundred jumps and I spent a dozen or so jumps screaming all over the sky..left..right...going every oppisite way I wanted go.

And had great fun flying with Tristan on his first few jumps who did the same..

'some people' have this problem..not all..
With your knowledge on aviation and flying, Id be disappointed if you didnt figure out the correct way to use your flaps and aelerons from the get-go;)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Some..not all..
I had a few hundred jumps and I spent a dozen or so jumps screaming all over the sky..left..right...going every oppisite way I wanted go.

A zoomie - now I understand;)

Zoomie would be an understatementB|

I had no issues flying where I wanted to go the first 20 jumps or so.
Just looking where I wanted to go, and voila..nice turns..

Then I started thinking about my steering inputs, and suddenly found myself flying the complete opposite direction of where I wanted to go with every move I made.
This lasted a few jumps, and then it sorta clicked and the directional spasms disapeared.

Those got replaced by wing-flapping, leg kicking, overly de-arching and other spastic bad habits over time luckely:P
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Zoomie would be an understatementB|

I had no issues flying where I wanted to go the first 20 jumps or so.
Just looking where I wanted to go, and voila..nice turns..

Then I started thinking about my steering inputs, and suddenly found myself flying the complete opposite direction of where I wanted to go with every move I made.
This lasted a few jumps, and then it sorta clicked and the directional spasms disapeared.

Those got replaced by wing-flapping, leg kicking, overly de-arching and other spastic bad habits over time luckely:P

Interesting to see others post about the challenges they've had. I am still having some of these from time to time. Some jumps are better than others... all part of the learning curve I guess.