ironmule

recording freefall time and freefall speed

The Neptune is the best logging device as it will record past 119 secs and provide you with the information most wingsuiters are looking for. Like wise it is compatible with Paralog which allows you to download from the Neptune and analyze your flight data.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Though not an audible, Ive had best results with the Altitrack from L&B when it comes to logging.

It records up to 5 minutes of freefall (and can also log canopy/swooping if thats your thing).
Compared to the neptune, Ive had way less issues with 'broken' logs due to the device shutting down in freefall.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

both are fairly in accurate in measuring a bodys speed through the air. what you need to measure is TAS or true air speed these devices measure a normalized version of true air speed which they term SAS or skydiver air speed.
wingsuits are like small gliders or planes with different pressures all over the body/frame which influences the readings or measurements, what you ideally need is a probe or your helmet sticking out into clean clean static air to make any kind of measurements - isntead we stick a audible/measurement tool in our helmet or wrist. its not very scientific but hey atleast its something!

the numbers can we vastly different from the TRUE numbers as far as i understand it after speaking to a flight instrument expert.

but hey - what else we got !

for the record i use a neptune - dont have any issues with it.

~ time is ~ time was ~ times past ~

With the Altitrack, you can choose between TAS or SAS.

Though accuracy in logging deviced will never be 100%. Moving a wrist or head mounted unit in/out of a burble gives freaky readings (no matter which brand or make).
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

yes! sorry i didnt mention that - you are correct.

from talking to the people who make these and professionals in the flight measurement industry you are probably he best off comparing SAS numbers although comparing results under different atmospheric conditions on different days with the same flight will have differences not even to mention skydivers from different continents trying to compare nrs !

anyways this is a repost of a fight i had before with someone on the thread. so i decided at the time to spend the time and speak to the people who build these devices!

the long and short is we don’t have anything better to use so in those kind of situations the best we can do becomes the standard and some people think it’s a 100% correct or scientific (which is clearly is not)

Looking for an audible altimeter recording freefall time and freefall speed for wingsuit flight. Am I correct saying there are only two available on the market: Pro-Track and Neptune?
What is the best choice and why?
Thanks

Altitrack
Life is a series of wonderful opportunities,
brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.

tonysuits.com

and by the sec is good enuff? how far or little do you move by the sec? what do you define as statistically significant? 0.1 of a sec and 1foot sensitivity ? yes that a measurement but its still gross and not true. why dont airplanes use gps to measure speed / orientation ect ? accuracy.
its better but still not true - thats all im saying.

I think GPS etc. is nice, but it takes a lot more work to analyse and interprete the data.

With the logging devices designed for skydiving, its just a matter of reading the display after the jump...

It just depends what you are looking for, and the initial post seems to indicate the later one..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I jump with a Pro-track, a Viso and a WBT-201 gps logger. As stated before the pro-track wont log past 119 seconds. The Viso has a cool feature where you can playback the last jump comparing freefall time with fallrate. You can also set the Viso to display fallrate during the jump instead of altitute.
HISPA #93
DS #419.5

yea..forgot all about the Viso..

Which made me wonder if anyone has ever mounted that one visualy during a jump. Would be a nice guide for a bigway base (lets 'fly' this one at 55 mph, and getting that spead dead-on..)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

and by the sec is good enuff? how far or little do you move by the sec? what do you define as statistically significant? 0.1 of a sec and 1foot sensitivity ? yes that a measurement but its still gross and not true. why dont airplanes use gps to measure speed / orientation ect ? accuracy.
its better but still not true - thats all im saying.

I guess that is the reason why airplanes don't use wrist mounted altimeters either....

And which barometric altimeter gives you 1 foot sensitivity?

So what? My Neptune indicates e.g. -16m after I have landed although I'm a WS flier and no mole.

at the moment two people are flying viso mounted on a boneheadmount here in Gap at the vectorfestival.According to them no problems with reading it in flight.

By the way temperature is high , mood is excellent, wich you where hereB|

If people from Poland are called Poles, why aren't people from Holland called Holes???
My logbook