huckalingus

AMPUTEE & WINGSUITS

Anyone seen a amputee use a wingsuit? My left leg was amputated below the knee so I have control keeping my leg straight. Would really like to get into the wingsuit thing and thought i would ask if its been done before.
Thanks

If your home DZ is Lodi, stop by sometime and introduce yourself. You have 2 yrs in the sport, but how many jumps?

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

DZ used to be Lodi till i got hurt, now its up north near Seattle. Make a long story short i ended up loosing my leg to a skydiving accident in Lodi and was out of the sport for about a year and half recovering. Numbers are to low right now to start the wingsuit thing but wanted to know if it were possible. I make my way thru there as much as i can tho.

DZ used to be Lodi till i got hurt, now its up north near Seattle. Make a long story short i ended up loosing my leg to a skydiving accident in Lodi and was out of the sport for about a year and half recovering. Numbers are to low right now to start the wingsuit thing but wanted to know if it were possible. I make my way thru there as much as i can tho.

I remember you. I was one of the people that found you in the vineyard after your freefall collision.
You had about 25 jumps when that happened right? I also remember you doing a couple jumps after your injury. Have you been jumping alot in Seattle?

Be safe
Ed

yup, that'd be me. Scott and Jeff have been very helpful and i'm sure with guys like that around the DZ i'll end up in a wingsuit. If i really get my huck on maybe by this comming fall.

Ed, Thank u and everyone else at Lodi. U guys got to me quick and knew what u where doing.

Anyone seen a amputee use a wingsuit? My left leg was amputated below the knee so I have control keeping my leg straight. Would really like to get into the wingsuit thing and thought i would ask if its been done before.
Thanks

Yes, I am also a bk amputee and I have about 40 wingsuit jumps. I put about 30 jumps on a prodigy (thanks to Base700) and the rest on my new phantom! When I ordered my phantom I spoke with Robert about my leg and he relayed the information to Robi who suggested that we try cutting the suit slightly different for me since I cannot point the toes on my rt leg. It fits like a glove, I can hang out for a couple of minutes or burn a line across the sky..........

I cannot point the toes on my rt leg.

Would there be any way to make the foot stay pointed? Or, maybe abapt something like a bracket that would attach to the foot and ankle area before you zip the leg up, making the foot stay pointed so you could get full body tension of the suit?

Be safe
Ed

Would there be any way to make the foot stay pointed?

I think he would love that in the sky, but it would probably suck coming in for a landing..

I have had to land with my toes pointed before on one foot, do to a compressed/crushed heal. It's not difficult to do at all.
He'd probably want a larger canopy to not have so much forward speed. Having to run out a fast landing may suck though.

Be safe
Ed

Thanks

I've taken a below the knee amputee on his first wingsuit flight before and he didn't have an issue.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

The ankle is fixed at 90*, there is no easy way I could think of to add a pivot to the ankle. I feel sure it can be done but for simplicity sake the suit was cut to where it has tension on it with the ankle at 90*. It is very stable and flies straight, I couldnt be happier with it unless it had jet engines on it! On a side note, I just got this new leg and it was nearly $19,000.00 so I dont really want to go modifying it.

Mike

how would you like to be the guy who has to explain to his boss that the reason he's late for work is because a really expensive prosthetic limb just "fell out of the sky" and crashed through his windshield? :o
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving
"Hey, these cookies don't taste anything like girl scouts..."

how would you like to be the guy who has to explain to his boss that the reason he's late for work is because a really expensive prosthetic limb just "fell out of the sky" and crashed through his windshield? :o

Exactly why you shouldn't have a boss.....;)

Be safe
Ed

True story.

At a DC3 boogie a few years back a double amputee lost one of his legs in freefall.

It landed in some dear old ladies back yard. When she saw it she promply polished off a bottle of Scotch before calling the police

---------------------------------------------
If you don't have wings you will never fly

hahaha,LOL You know.... my first jump after my accident. Thats exactly what happened to me. I was jumping with shorts on air shot up the liner for my leg and filled up like a balloon. Was lucky enough to have time and pull it off and land with it. Great first jump back into the sport. The next jump was fixed with lots o duck tap.

I am surprised he did not just ask one of us to get him in the air.

Huck I usually have my GTI and a rig you could get started with when he is ready. I'm sure Scott and I can get him in the air.

We can sure use some new Wingsuiters who actually jump. But then we would need some good dry air to jump in too. ;-)

Bob
Working to be the last flyer on a birdman suit. ;-)
Who also flies a tony suit.