greybeard

FLY HIGH and FAST

Post your fun and fast experience. Newbies want to hear it!!!!!!!!!!!

I never lost the thrill of watching the plane swing away on it's way back down. I know I'm going to bank away opposite and race back to the DZ, way before the diving
aircraft can get close to it's final, I'm playing around with
wind direction and sun positioning, to max my fun time in the sky. Yee Haw!!!!!!!!
I have the power, I have the time and presence to enjoy as I will.

bump

Gotta be some more positive notes from experienced flockers.

feed the fire fellows..................

Challange : THE111, LOU DIAMOND, FRED, VECTORBOY,

share some simple little fun trivia.

Getting out at 7K due to ATC alti hold, 2miles from the DZ and still making it back, in my V2 of course, in fact past the DZ.

I have two favorites, the first was trying to get across a big ass'd cloud, I first flew down to it going out to the edge then turning to go across it judging it to be the latest moment, at first I thought I wasn't gonna make it but you seem to get lift over a cloud and made it through a gap at the end, then dropping down past the cloud was so beautiful turning to go under the cloud back the dz, what a thrill.

The second was only last weekend, they had a vertical V formation, 4 fliers each side of the base who was on his back and I was a 5th person on the top of the V so i was put in the middle to make a diamond shape, ha, I came up on Noblikopf [the back flying base man] with the two wings of the diamond in between us and flew that for ages, what a visual to have people right under me. then a periphery of the other fliers making up the V

at first I thought this event a bit boring with the solo's i did but now i find it exhilarating, any skydive can be a bit slow on your own, shoot this event dosent give you the time to look at an alti sometimes

Here's just a few.

Flying with a 60 knot tailwind, directly over the city of Snohomish. Ground speed measured by GPS at just over 150 mph. (in a Gti)
That's one city block every 2.5 seconds...I remember counting the blocks and laughing...

Flying in the rain (not a sprinkle, a downpour)
Doesn't sting a bit. Max out the glide, keep the head down and the rain hits the top of the helmet.

Flying when it's snowing

The first WS balloon jump I did. Last one off, dead quiet, the sun rising behind Mt. Hood...

Flying at night. Reminds me of that old movie The Lost Boys...you really feel like a Vampire!

Flying next to a cloud, having a two way flock with your own shadow.

Probably the most scenic flight I can remember was a two way with Paul B. a long time ago. It was late in the day, scattered puffy white/grey clouds dumping rain, three different rainbows and a crescent moon against the blue sky. The contrasting colors and crystal clear visibility was hard to believe.

Exiting at 4K, dumping at 2.5...35 seconds later.

Life is good :)

Sorry im not one of the experienced guys you want to hear from, but one of my favorite skydiving memories was my 3rd or so wingsuit jump, flying around for a while, thinking I was getting close to pull altitude, checking my alti, and seeing it still at 9KB|B|B|

I'd think it would be when you were back flying flat and stable on your 3rd wingsuit jump. Nice one Charlie ;)

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Sorry im not one of the experienced guys you want to hear from, but one of my favorite skydiving memories was my 3rd or so wingsuit jump, flying around for a while, thinking I was getting close to pull altitude, checking my alti, and seeing it still at 9KB|B|B|

I'd think it would be when you were back flying flat and stable on your 3rd wingsuit jump. Nice one Charlie ;)

Be safe
Ed

Hehe, technically that was only my second jump, but yes that is up there too. Honestly just zipping into a wingsuit for the first time, and that first exit feeling super nervous. Below 5000 when you can really tell how fast your forward speed is. Keep this thread going, itll answer a lot of peoples questions why some people love flying wingsuits so much.

Keep this thread going, itll answer a lot of peoples questions why some people love flying wingsuits so much.

I guess I've got two main experiences to share in my short time wingsuiting (three, if you include how smooth my sabre 1 opens;))

1) Solo exit over a thin layer of blanket cloud, playing about a bit with rolls, loops etc before diving for a gap in the cloud, coming out at 6k to see the dz so far away! Fuck, I'm not going to make it back! Head down, back straight, knees locked and legs pushed down - its getting a bit closer, closer, passing all the other canopies off to the side, closer.... at 3.5k I'm over the hangars, over the runway, deploying and immediately turning back into wind - hell, yeah!B|

2) A 4 way flock, got together and flew relative a while, then the leader punched it out a bit. Followed him along towards a huge cumulus cloud he was aiming for - there was this moment (I specifically remember it happening in an instant) where my perspective changed from chasing a nearby wingsuit towards a far away cloud..... to chasing a tiny, tiny dot disapearing into a massive, gleaming, beautiful white cloud that was bigger than any skyscraper I've ever seen, he was just lost in the sheer enormity of it..... and then a few seconds later I was playing around in its tendrils too!

Hands down the most awesome visual experience I have ever had, in any walk of life. Amazing.:)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

One of my favorites was a jump at CSS last winter:

Thin, flat cloud layer at about 10k, and another thin, flat layer at 3-4k. In between the two layers were scattered columns of cloud that connected the two layers.

I exited the plane solo, turned left, and flew with the plane for a few incredible moments. The top of the 10k layer was pure white, and the sky above a very deep blue.

Punched through the first cloud layer into an entirely different planet... for about 6000ft i was sandwiched between two layers of clouds, one above, one below, and playing with a big puffy cloud in between them. The 'landscape' of the clouds was massive and endless. The best part of this jump was the snow that was between the two cloud layers. Absolutely incredible.

I punched through the bottom layer and returned to a gloomy, overcast planet earth. It was a miracle i made it back to the dz, because i was having so much fun i wasnt giving a flying fuck which direction i was going...
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving
"Hey, these cookies don't taste anything like girl scouts..."

An interesting visual effect happened to me recently. The uppers were 80-90mph that day and there was a thin solid layer at 8K, so I couldn't see the ground. This high flat layer accentuated my fast horizontal speed. I go through the layer and BAM! - see totally still ground! It felt like an instant stop. Very cool effect!

Next time I'll try going through the layer downwind, it'll be like a space warp! :)
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

Every jump I ever made with Flyingfishman. Especially a night two-way a few years ago, unbelievable holding a dock going full blast in the dark.

A night jump at midnight new years eve from a DC-3 at Eloy.

Every jump with the local birds. What a great flock.

Wingsuit balloon jump in the desert on an S-3 that I only had 6 jumps on.

My first wingsuit jump (GTI). I had never even seen a wingsuit much less seen one jumped. Totally clueless I exited a 182 at 11 K and instantly lost it in a high speed backspin. I recovered and had the time of my life. Later I ran into Francis the pilot, she thought it was hysterical. Welcome to the wingsuit world.

My first GTI jump, S-3 jump (I passed the guy wearing my GTI like he was anchored in the sky), V-1 jump and V-2 jump.

Watching the pilot watch me fly along with him.

My several wingsuit choppers, cutaways tend to get your attention.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............